Author Topic: 262 usage, tips  (Read 339 times)

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
262 usage, tips
« on: September 05, 2002, 09:30:12 PM »
Ok I am a MA 262 noob i have about 6-7 sorties in it but I dont kill much,

Any tips on how to fly it properly would be appreciated, as I suck in it.

thx :)

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Re: 262 usage, tips
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2002, 09:54:33 PM »
Originally posted by Blank
Ok I am a MA 262 noob i have about 6-7 sorties in it but I dont kill much,

Any tips on how to fly it properly would be appreciated, as I suck in it.

thx :)

Don't use it to strafe ground vehicles, even though that's the only time I seem to use the Me262.  Lost 6 of them the other night trying to kill a flak panzie, oh well, they're just perks.

ack-ack

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
262 usage, tips
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2002, 09:07:15 AM »
I flew the 262 a bit towards the end of last tour. Found it surprisingly hard to get kills in.  A few tips, sorry if some are blatantly obvious.

30mm are incredibly powerful but hard to get on a moving target.  Don't expect 5 kill sorties, think the most I've managed is 4 in a 262 ages ago, normally only get 2.

Best tactic I found was to find a target, extend so your range icon doesn't show, maneuver on his 6, come screaming in at 550mph+ low on his 6, he won't see you until too late. Works best when there's an attack coming in to one of your bases, nme's are too busy looking forward to check their 6.

It helps if you've got quiet a few perks to burn and are able to fly it consistently, you get used to how the aircraft flies - It is completely different to anything else so it takes a few flights to get used to. I lost almost all of my early 262's to compression, none since I got used to it.

Stay away from GV's unless you don't mind loosing the perks - what ack ack said

I know it's obvious but SA is life. Especially in a perk plane, keep it in the back of you mind that EVERYONE wants to kill you and they will do stupid thing in order to do it, although that can occasionally work to your advantage.

Careful about rams (only 262 I lost last tour was to a n1k ram, got greedy, got stupid).

Film all your flights, review the film afterward - I found that surprisingly helpful - especially get into your targets cockpit and see what he's doing to track you. See where you are when he can't see you.

With less than 3k feet below you stay ABOVE 500mph unless you want to die from diving tiff/p51/la7 etc.

Be patient!

Oh and best tip is to wing up with someone who you know and like as a pilot. 2 262's working together are more than 2x as effective as 1 lone 262.

I just thought of something on the 30mm front, some of the 109's have a 30mm in the nose - try taking a couple up for some 30mm target practice without the 'kill me' 262 tag, just fire the cannon and leave the 7mm alone. That’s one I'm going to try before my next 262 runs.

Gatso

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
262 usage, tips
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2002, 10:36:46 AM »
Besides what was said,
Make sure that the field you plan on taking off from isn't being vulched :D

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
262 usage, tips
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2002, 02:48:55 PM »
Best use of 262 -- LAWNDART :)

I almost fell out of my chair last night as I watched a 262 dive into a furball and try to strafe a chute...only to run himself into the ocean at about 500 mph.  About time I finally witnessed someone besides myself using the jet to its fullest potential ....

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
262 usage, tips
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2002, 03:14:45 PM »
Ive found the best way to use the 262 is to fly THROUGH your target plane.  Just pull the tirgger an instant before you collide.

Works like a charm, every time ;)
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
262 usage, tips
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2002, 10:32:41 PM »
yeager
yep done that except the plane I was shooting at exploded about a second after I flew through it,
result was I lost a wing, almost landed but not quite,
minus 200 perks isnt that bad as I have loads but it made me laugh being that lame.

Lawn darting is'nt a prob as I fly 109 most and I learnt that lesson months ago, in the famous '109G-10 lawndart' hence why I started flying the f-4 variant more.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
262 usage, tips
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2002, 11:05:35 AM »
what to do whith your 262

1 get out
2 go to hanger
3 get into a hurrc spit yak or other such plane
4 sit back and laugh as people waste there perkies on the 262 only to get shot down after they overshoot someone

the only use for the 262 is bnzing mid alt people (700-15k) from high alto (15k-30k) and this is 9only because it can handle extremly high speeds (stays fine over mach 1)

Offline GRDuckett

• Zinc Member
262 usage, tips
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2002, 11:46:13 AM »
I also have a hard time getting kills in the 262.  Although I hardly ever fly it.  Almost always my kills come from sneaking up on someone.  

One thing I have noticed is that the 262 will loose one or both engines on a light ping from nme fire.  More so than other aircraft.  I stay away from bombers for this very reason.  You never know when a slick bomber stick has his tracers turned off.

I like to use the speed of the aircraft to strafe through furballs and pick off easy targets that are occupied with other friendlys.  This does leave you open to a quick snapshot form nme in the area though.

Like anything else, the more time you spend in it the better you will become with it.   Good luck.

Offline SkyWorm

• Zinc Member
AR234
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2002, 09:43:20 AM »
Is that the same as a 262.  I can't get it off the ground.:(

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
262 usage, tips
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2002, 02:28:40 PM »
Ar234 is a jet bomber, the Me262 is the jet fighter.

It seems when I fly the 262 I usually don't 'battle' the enemy too much, just buzz em and make em turn although I haven't flown much with another 262.
It seems my main 262 'battles' are against the computer and the internet and wondering if I'll loose it that way LoL.
I remember one dismal day a month or so back I picked a 262 and hit the 'runway letter' and voila... I see my desktop. I check and no -200 so I bravely up another and watch someone else's bomber kills explode... and voila  a screen freeze.
After that I did notice I was down 400 perkies.
Oh well 'easy' come... easy go I guess.
Funny though.... I never disco when I'm in one flying around the TA.

fuzeman
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54