Author Topic: The Speed "Cheat"  (Read 245 times)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
The Speed "Cheat"
« on: September 06, 2002, 09:10:53 AM »
After compressing a P47 while being persued by one of the illustrious FDBs I learned a valuable lesson.  He told me about the "speed cheat".....

Rudders  ;)

...and it works really well.

Thanks Mathman.

:D
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
The Speed "Cheat"
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2002, 09:12:46 AM »
so does reducing throttle b4 u dive :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
The Speed "Cheat"
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2002, 09:14:31 AM »
Or those speed flaps on the D30.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
The Speed "Cheat"
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2002, 09:18:55 AM »
Slip-slidin' away eh Curval?

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
The Speed "Cheat"
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2002, 09:26:09 AM »
Apache..yup;)

I was being facicious about it being a cheat obviously, but it does really help....particularly when  "throttling down before diving"  doesn't help because you have a good stick flying an F6 bearing down on you from "on high".

Also it is useful when flying a plane without dive flaps....I wasn't aware the P47 had them because that was the first time I had flown one.

Just goes to show...you can fly in AH for months and learn something new everytime you up.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
The Speed "Cheat"
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2002, 11:00:30 AM »
I just point my nose to the ground (against all of them, but against 109's, zeke's, la7's it is really effective ..spits are tougher to shake) and open he throttle up. I spiral it down keeping in a halfway blackout. I know the guy following me will have to be blacking out as well.  Use the rudder and alerons to keep your AC out of compression and watch your enemy have to break off. BUT!! the other 7 spits, n1k's, and lagg's wiil be there waiting for you to level out.  Its a good idea to level out in the direction of friendly fighters and your own airfield:)
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
The Speed "Cheat"
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2002, 11:25:25 AM »
Wouldn't the rudder in Real Life be more or less ineffective after say, 500 mph?  Sounds like a FM bug :p

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
The Speed "Cheat"
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2002, 11:31:15 AM »
It's amazing time and again so many find the rudder to have some "unexpected" uses.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
The Speed "Cheat"
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2002, 12:08:53 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Wouldn't the rudder in Real Life be more or less ineffective after say, 500 mph?  Sounds like a FM bug :p

Rip, ya big troll.  ;)

I was actually thinking that dropping one's landing gear would work too...but, the gear tends to get ripped off at high speed.;)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
The Speed "Cheat"
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2002, 12:49:21 PM »
I'm serious Curval, in the F4 Phantom, a museum currator(ex-pilot) was telling me that rudders had basically no effect on A/C over a certain speed...

Offline CMC Airboss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
The Speed "Cheat"
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2002, 04:08:02 PM »
At 500 mph, rudder deflection with unpowered controls is VERY difficult.  Full rudder deflecting would shred a fabric covered control surface at 500 mph.

MiG

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
The Speed "Cheat"
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2002, 04:18:38 PM »
Bah, I never use the rudder.  I use the Slow-Motion Speed Hack.  It is kind of like The Matrix, except everything else speeds up and I stay the same.  I started using it about a year ago.  Some tard in a 109G-6 dove on me from about 6k above.  I used it, he compressed into the ground.

Trying to remember that guys name.  I can't recall it, but he said something in some thread about blowing chunks, whoever that chunks guy is.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2002, 04:23:04 PM by Mathman »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
The Speed "Cheat"
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2002, 04:22:18 PM »
rudder slippin was first thing Ninez  showed me in the 109

without that and aileron trim control, hispeed in the g6 or g10 would be very difficult if not impossible.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
The Speed "Cheat"
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2002, 04:55:38 PM »
dont go straight down, start a descending spiral and pull tighter,  if the attacker is faster he will have a wider circle and need to pull so hard he black outs. He will also bleed e. Prior to the f6f getting its stall fixed you would see them drop out of the sky trying to pull lead.

Most of the time the attacker breaks off and you can extend in the opposite direction.

In 109s this work because you can keep your speed right up to where the stick becomes heavy.

Also you dont give away all your alt on 1 escape attempt.

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
The Speed "Cheat"
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2002, 05:56:56 PM »
Rip,

I've never heard that about the Phantom, though I'm certainly no pilot or expert on her.  But I have heard that the nose can yaw around a teeny bit at high speed (especially if you lose the Stab Aug system) and not sure I wouldn't want rudder input available.  Also, due to the way the aircraft rolls, where one wing uses a spoiler to kill the lift over the wing, it would cause somewhat of a yawing moment in turns and again, would probably want rudder to be effective.  Are you sure you didn't get this backwards?  At slow speeds and/or high AOA, you do not want to roll with aeleron/spoiler due to this yawing tendency which could put you into a nasty spin but instead used only rudder input.