Author Topic: F6F or FM2?  (Read 356 times)

Offline Fancy

• Copper Member
F6F or FM2?
« on: September 07, 2002, 05:41:38 PM »
I've been hopping into lots of different fighters lately (190D-9, FM2, F6F, P47, etc), but I seem to be equally bad at all of them.  I know the primary cure is practice, but I'd like a little advice on which of these two planes (for now at least) is most worth my time.  I like the fact that the F6F can act as jabo pretty well, but the FM2 seems to get around a little better.  Any advice?

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
F6F or FM2?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2002, 06:37:25 PM »
Fly whichever you have more fun in.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
F6F or FM2?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2002, 06:40:13 PM »
Depends on your flying style.   The FM2 is a bit better in a dogfight, and if what you do consists mostly of dogfighting at less than 10K feet or so, then the FM2 is for you.  In particular, the FM2 can handle co-alt Spits and N1K2's easier than an F6F can.

The F6F is a better multi-role plane than the FM2.  If you want a ride that can still fight well, but also has good payload and range, then the F6F is probably a better choice.  The F6F is also a bit faster than the FM2 which might appeal to you, although neither plane can be considered "fast".  

If you can't decide, fly them both :)

J_A_B

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
F6F or FM2?
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2002, 06:55:36 PM »
Follow both Innominate and J_A_B's advice.  Find a plane that you're comfortable in and enjoy flying and suits your flying style.  Remember it's your $15 bucks so don't listen to those that deride certain types of planes for their 'ease of flight' characteristics.

BTW- I'd pick the P-38L as the ride of choice but then I'm slightly biased :D

Ack-Ack
479th FG

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
F6F or FM2?
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2002, 10:37:04 PM »
Everyone knows the F4F-4 kicks the FM-2's butt in the style factor.  Baby blue all the way :).
----------------------

MA:VFA-136 <==NIGHT HAWKS==>
CT:VF27 Hellcats
http://www.combathanger.com/bomb.htm - ALF's awesome bombing tutorial.

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
F6F or FM2?
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2002, 04:40:29 AM »
As I stated before, the FM2 has become my favourite mount by far and the one I get the most kills in (read: I get kills in ;-) )

As a Jabo the F6F is much better suited, with a huge payload, more firepower and ammo.

However, as a dogfighter below 10k or so I fear nothing except overwhelming odds and a co-E A6M2. Of course I get killed often, but I still resist flying Nikki's, LA7's and so on.  Nevertheless I get better at AVOIDING being killed, and even slightly better at the killing itself. I also now have convergence at 400/450 and this suits my flying style noticably better than lower settings.

Go low and fast into a furball, watch your back and pick off someone who is maneuvering hard (you can maneuver harder). You have lots of E to burn that way and you can get almost every co-Alt plane in this situation. If attacked from above go to the deck and make them overshoot or outturn them. If you play it well, you might get a few pings in when they use their superior E to set up another pass. Practice deflection shooting, no matter how extreme, and don't be afraid to spray a bit (but only a bit). Play it hard and agressive. For me it's learning the hard way, but also the fun way.

Ad if a pony comes down to fight you, consider him a bad pilot.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
F6F or FM2?
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2002, 01:19:06 PM »
Personally, I feel the FM-2 is much better suited to the type of combat we have in the MA, than the F6F. However, the F6F is a far more capable aircraft for strike missions, in terms of bomb load.

I fly the Wildcats a great deal, and I figure I'm a fair stick in them (69 kills, 2 deaths so far this tour). Like anything else, being successful in the Wildcat requires sound judgement and good situational awareness. Actual dogfighting skills take a back seat to "smart" flying, by being able to avoid bad situations where those skills would be severely tested.

You should be able to do very well with the FM-2 with some experience in it. However, the little fighter's lack of speed requires planning and judgement to avoid getting ganged. I suggest setting guns at 600-650 yards, as you will find yourself pursuing aircraft that are pulling away from you.

Should you find yourself defending a CV group from hordes of enemy fighters, jabos and torpedo bombers, don't be ashamed to duck into the ack if you need to. AI ack is the most reliable wingman you can hope to have. :D

As far as the F6F goes, if I'm taking a jabo or attack sortie from a carrier, I use the SBD, simply because it's so much fun to fly and dogfights with the best of them.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
F6F or FM2?
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2002, 03:30:05 PM »
69 to 2 in an FM2?

Damn, I wouldn't even manage that in a Me 262. How can you possibly do that? You can't run away in an FM2 because it's so slow and I (less than a month experience) haven't found a way of fighting myself out of a 1 against 5 disadvantage.

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
F6F or FM2?
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2002, 03:49:33 PM »
You don't get into 1 vs. 5 battles :).
----------------------

MA:VFA-136 <==NIGHT HAWKS==>
CT:VF27 Hellcats
http://www.combathanger.com/bomb.htm - ALF's awesome bombing tutorial.

Offline Fancy

• Copper Member
F6F or FM2?
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2002, 07:59:17 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
SBD

SBD??  I've seen you fly Widewing and you're a damn good pilot.  I always discounted the SBD, but I'll give it a shot.