Author Topic: <S!> Saturday night CT'ers!  (Read 5684 times)

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
<S!> Saturday night CT'ers!
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2002, 02:20:50 PM »
I'm still pulling for some 1943 setups both European and Pacific.  With my preference being the Pacific.  I am relatively new to AH so I may not be on top of plane matchups.  But I can't help but think a setup using the "Slot" map with 1943 planes wouldn't be well recieved by both sides.

Land based would be F4u-1, F4f, P40, A6m5, Ki61

CV based would be F4f, A6m2, maybe A6m5?? not sure

Throw in the proper bombers for spice and I think we'd have some great fights.  This would represent the time after Guadalcanal was secured and the USN/MC pushed up the Solomon chain towards Rabaul.  Just watch Black Sheep Squadron reruns for inspiration :D Only plane really out of place is the A6m5(I think?? no expert) and that would be considered a sub for the A6m3 with the added performance as a reflection of some of the IJN pilot's combat experience since China.

I don't know maybe it would just turn into a F4u-1 vs Ki61 battle and everyone would be complaining.  But it would something I would love to give a try.  

Which CT staff member is most willing to accept bribes?? aka the cheapest.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2002, 02:25:40 PM »
looks good to me.  It would be nice to have f4us off the carriers though.  When was the f6f model we have introduced anyway? early 44?  late 43?

so it would be
allied
f4u1
f4f
tbm
sbd
a20g (instead of the b26)
p40 on land

axis
ki61
ki67
a6m2
a6m5
val

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2002, 02:31:56 PM »
The F6f didn't see combat till August 1943 at Marcus Island, so I'd leave them out.  The USN didn't have ship-based F4u till late '44, so I'd keep them land-based to represent the USMC squadrons that first deployed them in the Solomons.
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2002, 02:35:14 PM »
I could live with them off land, would force more planning on our part.  One important part of this setup is getting the IJN and Allied bases on DIFFERENT PIECES OF LAND, a reasonable distance from each other (2 sectors at least).  This way a land grab would have to be accompllished via the carriers and beachhead.  It would also slightly limit the number of f4us and kis of both kinds flitting around.

fun fun fun~!~~~~~~!

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2002, 02:56:57 PM »
THEBUG...THY WISH HAS BEEN GRANTED BY THE ALL-POWERFUL GENIE OF THE LAM...ER, THE CANTEEN.  THOU WILST FIND THYSELVE MAROONED ON THE MALARIA-INFESTED SHORES OF THE SOLOMONS, THERE TO DO ENDLESS BATTLE WITH THE ENEMY, THE ELEMENTS, AND THINE OWN PING TIMES!

Jarbo has a "Slot, 1943" set up in the can for next weekend, following Buzzbait's set up this weekend.  Sorry for the wait.  Planeset will be pretty darn close to whats been postulated above.

Sabre
CT Staff
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2002, 02:59:58 PM »
I take it that 'pretty close' means allies keep what is listed and the ijn gets the nik2.:P

Whats the new setup going to be?
Is it the russian front?

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2002, 03:17:28 PM »
The F6f didn't see combat till August 1943 at Marcus Island

The A6M5 went into production in the summer of '43 as well.  Certainly they would not be seen in any kind of numbers if the scenario is too early for the F6F as well.  It might be interesting to enable the A6M5 and the F6F on one CV only and give these (two) CVs a low respawn rate.

Can the respawn rates of a fleets be controlled by fleet or is it all or nothing?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2002, 03:26:37 PM by HFMudd »

Offline HFMudd

• Nickel Member
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2002, 03:18:48 PM »
I take it that 'pretty close' means allies keep what is listed and the ijn gets the nik2.:P

Patooie!  The worm is is very plump but the hook is showing.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2002, 03:23:15 PM »
hehe.
what hook?

I think the carriers are all or none on respawns.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2002, 04:07:17 PM »
Please, no N1K2s or late model Corsairs from CVs. We have done that one already a few times now. Super fighter begats super fighter, and we end up in 1945 again in no time.

Lets go with TheBugs late 1943 set as listed. F4Fs from the CVs and the USMC birdcage Corsairs from the land bases only. IJ gets the Ki-61 and A6M2/5, then just fill out the bombers and dive bombers for both sides, and its yummy.

Regards.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2002, 04:09:19 PM »
Originally posted by Squire
Please, no N1K2s or late model Corsairs from CVs. We have done that one already a few times now. Super fighter begats super fighter, and we end up in 1945 again in no time.

Lets go with TheBugs late 1943 set as listed. F4Fs from the CVs and the USMC birdcage Corsairs from the land bases only. IJ gets the Ki-61 and A6M2/5, then just fill out the bombers and dive bombers for both sides, and its yummy.

Don't forget the P-40, please, on the off chance that I can fly Allied.

- oldman

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2002, 04:11:27 PM »
Absolutely agree.  Just didnt want to be the one to say it.

What model of p40 is appropriate old man?  Would it be the b or e?

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2002, 04:12:22 PM »
I'd have the A6m5 in there, as I said :) , as a substitute for the A6m3.  The increased performance could be attributed to the great experience some of the IJN pilots had achieved at this point in the war.  The A6m2 is just too outclassed.  Besides who's afraid of those Zekes anyhow, just don't get too close or ya may singe your eyebrows as they burn :D

I love the USN iron, but I'm sorry to disagree I just don't see a place in this setup for the F6f.  I think it's presence may upset the play-balance, I may be wrong. It's just too damn nice of an IJN killer.  If it was determined that the IJN had the "uber" planes I'd be more inclined to add the Fm2 for balance.  

Looking forward to see what Jarbo has in mind for next week!  If it is as good as I hope it to be, let's have a 2 week run of it :p
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2002, 06:18:01 PM »
Poor Peter-38!  No fans to jump to its defense here?   I'm sure they were being used in the Solomons in '43 - but an earlier model than our "L".

You just gotta have a '38 in this setup!

I agree about keeping the A6M5 in.  And it would be a P-40E, erg.

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2002, 06:28:50 PM »
I guess an old model 38 would be nice, but not the one we have.  

People have been crying for an early model 38 for years.  (why?  damn silly plane, if we are going for silly planes we need the p39).

thanks oboe.

erg