Author Topic: What Should the Icon Range Be for GVs as Seen From Aircraft?  (Read 286 times)

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
What Should the Icon Range Be for GVs as Seen From Aircraft?
« on: September 10, 2002, 03:44:59 PM »
The current icon range of d1.5 seems too great, especially when you consider the lack of ground cover available.  Also, you're in a plane moving at hundreds of miles per hour.  It would be very hard in real life to pick out the only M-3 in a group of M-16s from almost a mile away, but in AH a pilot can easily.  Or quickly pick out all the Ostwinds in a group of more or less harmless Panzers.

So, should the icon range remain at d1.5?

Or should it be lower or eliminated entirely?

After thinking about it a little I thought 500 yds would be good.  But I'm not sure.  What do you all think?

MRPLUTO  VMF-323  ~Death Rattlers~  MAG-33

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2002, 03:58:15 PM »
Yes, lets make those ostwinds even more lethal, and not only will they kill you in one shot, but you wont even see them anymore!

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2002, 04:08:48 PM »
I have to agree the range does seem overly helpfull to planes especially as you can spot a dot on the landscape from miles away then fly toward it until that lovely laser range tag gives you the perfect guide.

what we dont have in AH through vehicles is an ability to scout and yet we have a great scout vehicle in the M8, so what if we allow this vehicle to have no icon so its able to better sneak around? Id have no problem with no icons on any of the non AA vehicles but as for an ostwind without it im not so sure.They are pretty deadly enough arent they?

in fact even better what about adding some more smaller scout cars or even the willis jeep as a scout vehicle and do away with the range icon so they are able to scout properly? a jeep with a bazooka mounted would be cool :)

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2002, 04:09:30 PM »
Good point, Innominate.  

About those Ostwinds...I think they should be PERKED.  The main (only?) criterion to qualify for perking is that the vehicle in question was rare in WW2.  The Osty was very rare.  I believe fewer than 400 were produced.  I'd charge 5 or 10 perks.

By the way, if rarity in WW2 is the main/deciding factor in determining perking, then the Yak-9U should be perked.  It never served in WW2!

"The last model to be developed during the war was the Yak-9U, although it was not in time to see action.  It was a completely new aircraft opening the way for production of the final postwar model, the Yak-9P, which saw action in Korea."

--Illustrated Encyclopeidia of Military Aircraft, by Enzo Angelucci

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2002, 07:34:46 PM »
It would be very hard in real life to pick out the only M-3 in a group of M-16s from almost a mile away, but in AH a pilot can easily. Or quickly pick out all the Ostwinds in a group of more or less harmless Panzers.

Then make it work both ways -- give all ground vehicles a neutral 'GV' icon when you get within 1.5k of them, and at 500 yards give the vehicle model. With a little work, you could do the same thing for aircraft -- at range, you'd get a generic type ID (190, F4U, etc.), and when you got close, you'd get a model ID (190A4, 190A8, F4U1D, etc.).

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2002, 07:39:59 PM »
An excellent idea, Shiva.

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2002, 11:19:35 PM »
Thinking about it, having a staged icon configuration makes a lot of sense, by adjusting the information available to the pilot to more accurately fit what they could obtain IRL at that range. As it stands now, as soon as the aircraft gets within 6000 yards, you've got enough information to start planning your engagement -- what your options are against a Hurricane are different from your options against a Tempest, for example.

So start at max icon range with 'ACFT', and go to a group type if appropriate at an intermediate range (i.e., 'F4U', 'SPIT', '190', '109', etc.) [to the specific type if there is no group of planes of the same general type in the planeset, such as 'IL2'], then at a close range go from the generic type to the specific type ('109G', '190A8', 'F4U1D', etc.).

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2002, 02:06:58 AM »
Quoting intrview with HiTech from Wargamer.com:

HiTech: And on the perk side…you asked me about perked vehicles. It'll either go one of several ways, and I haven't talked to Doug to find out which one he's going to go do. We'll probably be bringing out either the Tiger** [tank], the T-34, or the Sherman. If we bring the Sherman out, the odds are we'll perk the [Ostwind mobile anti-aircraft tank, already modeled in the game] and the [Panzer IV H].

Offline Amboss

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2002, 02:09:50 AM »
I like the idea Shiva, it offers a good overall compromise.

When talking GVs one has to think about the lack of cover and camouflage available in AH as well. Basically, once you're out of the hangar, you're given away and can't hide. GV dots on the ground are visible for miles and you can pre-assess the type of vehicle by its color scheme from a save distance.

-Amboss

Offline Amboss

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2002, 02:19:36 AM »
As long as GVs have this crap damage model that they do now, perking them is not an option.

GVs are no problem to take out for an experienced pilot. Osties and other GVs are only a problem if you intend to strafe them, and rightly so. Try Jabo instead, which is how most GV kills were made historically anyway.  Since GVs offer only a small target, you need some divebombing skills to score still, but it's never been meant to be easy.

-Amboss

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2002, 07:49:23 AM »
The icon could be reduced (or eliminated) when a GV is in the trees to simulate cover.  It could also be reduced (or eliminated) when a GV is stationary for X minutes, to simulate camouflage.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2002, 12:39:37 PM »
HT also mentioned he hopes to have a terrain where GVs can hide from aircraft/other GVs.   This would be the perfect solution!
NEXX

Offline minus

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2002, 02:12:44 PM »
if osti lose  ability to se planes icons then will be not  deadly ! anyway  get ride of icons Plane vs GV and versa ,

about frendlies , show icon but only names no GV ID

Offline AKWeav

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2002, 12:00:52 AM »
Ok, most GVs receive an icon when you're 1.5 distant from them. Meanwhile, they've had an icon on you since 6.0:rolleyes:

In the MA, icons are the only method of distinguishing friend from foe, so they are a necessary evil.

I can distinguish a M-3 from a M-16 easily without an icon. The M-3 is olive colored, while the M-16 is desert tan. The confusion comes into play when trying to distinguish a M-3 from a M-8, or M-16 from an osty or panzer.

Want to shorten the icon range for GVs? Then shorten the id range at which GVs can see what plane is near them.

In short, icon range wise, I think things are fine as is, with the exception of the LTVs. I rarely even get a icon on them unless they're friendly. Those I can see from 6.0:D

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2002, 01:38:25 PM »
I like Popeye's idea. If you want to hide your GV icon have it so you have to make an effort to do so. Seems fair to me.