Author Topic: The Art of Vulching  (Read 448 times)

Offline discod

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.millionaire.com
The Art of Vulching
« on: April 27, 2001, 01:55:00 PM »
MNow I know this is a controversial topic but I don't care! he he he  I'm a believer in vulching and I attribute many kills to it    There is nothing quite as satisfying as slaughtering helpless fools who spawn on defenseless runways.  On the other hand there is nothing quite as frustrating as loosing your window of opportunity to take a base due to some brave soul who relentlessly defends their base even if it means being vulched 30 times!!!!

Vulching is a crucial part of a base takeover, especially when you are out-manned and don't have the resources to level a base.

But there seems to be a lack of skill amongst us when it come to vulching. So I (being somewhat of an expert he he) thought I would offer up a bit of advice on how to be a good vulcher...

The key to a good vulch is the approach.  You should climb to no more than 4K and circle the enemy base.  While circling make sure that you are always calculating a precise approach that will allow you to attack at a sligh angle to the runway.

A 90 degree or "T" approach is not good because you'll only get a snapshot...and I have seen many pilots auger because they try and crank a last second adjustment to get a kill after the plane starts to roll.  

A head-on approach is also dangerous.  If you dive in facing a plane that has just spawned then you must remember that his guns are pointing up and directly at you.  I have also seen many pilots auger because they dive in too steep and too fast in order to avoid the bullets from the plane on the ground.

A straight "six" tail approach is just as dangerous as the head-on vulch.  Why?  Well because I have seen many pilots killed after they make the vulch because a new plane spawns and opens fire on them before thay can take evasives.

The best approach is a from a low altitude of say 2-3K and you should be far enough away from the target that you can dive in at about a 30 degree angle and have at least 200MPH speed.  Then make sure you are attacking at about 5-15 degrees off the paralell.  This allows you room to adjust in case the plane is able to roll before you get there and you don't risk overcorrecting and augering into the ground.

One other consideration to be cautious of is suicidal bombers.  They wait for you to dive in and just before you kill them they release their bombload and destroy themselves and hopefully you as well.  So be sure to attack bombers at a safe distance.

The most common problem in vulching is the Killshooter.  If you see a friendly coming infront of you at a different angle then you should hold your fire unless you are really confident that he won't cross your line of fire.  If you shoot him and die from killshooter then it's your fault for not being totally aware of your surroundings.

When you see an icon appear on one of the runways don't panic and dive immediately fot the kill. Just relax and think all the way though the kill making sure you will not only get the kill but be able to pull out safely for another approach  

I hope this has been a helpful lesson.  And if anyone would like a demonstration just let me know when you are sitting helplessly on a defenceless runway and I'll be happy to show you the "Art of Vulching"  

Next week's lesson: "The Art of HO"

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
The Art of Vulching
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2001, 02:04:00 PM »
Shouldn't next weeks lesson be "The art of HO'ing"  

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
The Art of Vulching
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2001, 02:14:00 PM »
Great post discod!!!  I am hoping this lesson will help clear up some of the problems I have been having when I am vulching.  

------------------
Sling322
Fat Drunk "Chute Shooting" Bastards

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
The Art of Vulching
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2001, 02:19:00 PM »
Ahhhh yes, discod.  I've been on BOTH ends of that.  The other night while I was trying to take a base, some guy was spawning in a C47 at the end of the runway and just sitting there, not even rolling.  I figured he was just doing that to get us to blow our ammo and to allow time for the hangers and ack to respawn.  That actually works.  Guys get hell bent on racking up their scores and forget why they're there, TO TAKE THE BASE!!  I had to caution our guys to just leave him alone if he's not a threat and conserve ammo.  When you only have 2-4 guys capping the field and they're all vulching it doesn't take long to blow all your ammo and before you know it ALL of you are rtb for ammo leaving the base now open.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
The Art of Vulching
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2001, 02:37:00 PM »
I think the best I ever did was back in the beta terrain pre-Chog.

14 kills in an F4U-1D in a single sortie.  

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
The Art of Vulching
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2001, 02:41:00 PM »
ah, those were the days...

Remember the guys that used to cry about "honor" when they got vultched 18 times in a row at a heavily capped airfield?

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
The Art of Vulching
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2001, 02:52:00 PM »
Heh- the best vulching comes you roll an Ostwind onto a field.  

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
The Art of Vulching
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2001, 04:17:00 PM »
Tis an ART.

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
The Art of Vulching
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2001, 07:06:00 PM »
 14 vulches is my record in a single flight without rearming, I did it in a George 2 tours ago on the island map at A1, landed after we took the field with 30 odd rounds left. This tour I did manage 16 kills and a few assists in a single sortie (without rearming)but 3 of the kills were airborne, 2 i shot off my CO's 6 and 1 i got at the end of my vulch run a P51 that came in to avenge his dead brethren and turned in front of me, I managed to RTB with NO ammo left,this occurred while taking A15.
  I prefer a nice tight circle pattern around the field orbiting at about 1,000 to 500 ft. The most important thing for me is to remain calm, try to avoid "Buck fever", and don't waste ammo short burst's 1 to 2 seconds get close 400 or less so u don't miss, the George is better since it will do the turning better than the C hog. I do get some nice 10 kill runs in the C hog though, with the better range of the hispanos u can stay farther out and a little looser.
  A fun plane to vulch in is the Zero, i have managed 8 vulches without to much difficulty in it the type 99II's it caries are the same as on the George, u just nead to manage your ammo better since it does not carry as much.
  Vulching is not all I do btw, although I cloud retire on it  

------------------

[This message has been edited by brady (edited 04-27-2001).]

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
The Art of Vulching
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2001, 10:31:00 PM »
my best sortie was 40 kills all nonvulched.

I believe torque was one of the 40. <finger>
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

rudedawg

The Art of Vulching
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2001, 10:38:00 PM »
ostie kills don't count Citabria lol... vulching is a lame thing to do if you have no desire to take base but if taking the base is the plan vulching is a must and we are all guilty so just stop complaining and as for you ho whiners it takes 2 to ho

Rude

hogfarmr

The Art of Vulching
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2001, 10:45:00 PM »
LOL Cit, i think i was around 20 on that list.
Vulching bastage.

ME? i never vulch..... or shoot chutes or HO everything in sight in my C hog.

-AKHog

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
The Art of Vulching
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2001, 03:05:00 AM »
Some poeple, like GTR and the ones with her, are Vulch masters8tm)

During this whole tour, I've found them at a friendly field with the carrier 5 miles off the coast, vvulching. not killing the field, but vulching.

She is easy to locate in terms of general area (look for a friendly field with very high enemy activity and only the occasional green blop), but hard to pinpoint (fly in there and there are 10 f4uC's to choose from).

Only once have I had a fight where it wasn't a vulch/anti vulch operation with this individual.

Her $30  .

------------------
Von Santa
Staffelkapitän 9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"If you return from a mission with a victory, but without your Rottenflieger, you have lost your battle."
- D. Hrabak, JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline illo

• Nickel Member
The Art of Vulching
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2001, 05:45:00 AM »
Art of clubbing babyseals...art of kicking old ladies...

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
The Art of Vulching
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2001, 06:24:00 AM »
Well everybody his skill