Author Topic: Learning the LA5  (Read 251 times)

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Learning the LA5
« on: September 24, 2002, 12:20:53 PM »
Hi Guys,

I've adopted the La5 as my new plane of choice, and I'm learning to love it, but I have to admit that the one thing I have been unable to master to date is aiming those cowl mounted 20mms. I'm tired of slotting in behind a P51D closing to 250 yrds, having him be right in my gunsight and MISSING!

What is the trick to aiming these things? Also, can someone recommend a good gunsight to use with the LA5?

In a related question, I've noticed that the 20mm cannons on the LA5 seem to be considerably weaker than the Hispanos on my Hurri C. Is this really the case? I ask because 2 or 3 rounds from the Hispano and any fighter becomes an instant wreck whereas a P40E absorbed between 10-15 20mms from my LA5 last night and kept flying.

THANKS!

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Learning the LA5
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2002, 12:54:03 PM »
La5 is tough to hit with but at 250 you should be ok...I usually hold my fire till 200 with either the la5 or la7. The 20mm in the la5 will fall off faster than the hispano rd so you may be firing under the bogie...this is especially true if your both turning and your trying to pull lead...the con will be under the nose out of sight if you have enough lead most of the time...it's really a blind shot.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson