Author Topic: Is it time for Registration Fees?  (Read 584 times)

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Is it time for Registration Fees?
« on: September 17, 2002, 10:54:32 AM »
It seems to me that many people sign up for scenarios with no serious intention of participating. Kind of like they are thinking if they happen to make it, "great," if not, "oh well."

We all know the registration process has come under fire in more than one scenario. If it's first come first serve, those that can't get to a computer get screwed. If it's a lottery, many don't get to play where they want to and bail out.

Well how about instituting a small registration fee ($5.00) for those that really want to participate and not have to worry about getting in or getting assigned the slot they wanted.

For the first day or two of registration, anyone that wants to pay $5.00 can sign up AND select the country, squad, aircraft, etc. that they want to be in for the scenario. After the second day, registration becomes free but also reverts to the first come first serve system that we have now.

As for the $5.00 fee... Let HTC take a small percentage for administration, and let the CMs split up the rest as credits to their AH accounts. This way, the CMs recieve compensation for all the hard work they put in trying to get these events setup.

I personally think the overall effect would be less whining about how porked the registration is and how unfair it is to be stuck in an aircraft you don't want because some other dweeb got signed up before you did. Then come game day, that sorry SOB doesn't even show up to play, leaving a seat open to some 'reserve' pilot who signed up AFTER you did.

I for one would gladly pay $5.00 in advance if the upcoming scenario was of high interest to me. If it wasn't, I would just wait until the registration went from pay to free and sign up then.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2002, 10:57:26 AM »
You still would have to use a 'first come, first served' system for paying registrees. There's only so many slots for a particular ride in any scenario.

But the idea sounds workable.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2002, 10:59:33 AM »
No offense to anyone here, CM, HTC, or otherwise... but after flying in a couple scenarios a while ago...

No way in hell would I willingly pay 'em to fly in 'em.

Dramatic and improvement come to mind before $5 does.
-SW

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2002, 11:08:35 AM »
Originally posted by Dowding
You still would have to use a 'first come, first served' system for paying registrees. There's only so many slots for a particular ride in any scenario.

I agree, but I would be more comfortable knowing that the people who signed up did so because they really wanted to, and not just because it was a whim with no investment. I think if someone is willing to pay $5.00, at least they are showing real interest. If a particular flight gets filled, it would be a pretty good chance that most (if not all) of the registered pilots would be there at launch time.

I think this would also help a great deal in planning. When I was FL for a squad in a scenario, all of my orders went to pot because only 3 of my actual 8 registered showed up. Trying to brief walk-ons and fill up the squad during the last 20 minutes before roll time was a HUGE pain in the ass. I didn't get my last 2 pilots until about 4 minutes prior to launch, and then the whole flight was disorganized.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2002, 11:11:56 AM »
AKSWulfe,

You tried the new Saturday CAP event yet?

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2002, 11:14:59 AM »
Nah, this was based on scenarios a while ago... admitted to that.

I don't mean just the scenario team either.. connections, more stable FE, etc...

I just can't see paying money to get into a scenario (let's say it's setup the best ever), and I'm flying for 30 minutes starting to get anxious for combat.. I see cons... and then.... green beacon... and then... I disco from the server....

Not only would that be a waste of my time, but my money.

I don't wanna complain or start a squeak fest here or piss anyone off... I'm just saying...
-SW

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2002, 11:17:14 AM »
Midway will have the first come first server to fill out the initial rosters.

EVERYONE who registeres will be assigned to Squadron. This gives us a LARGE Built in reserve that the CO's and FL's can use to fill out the OPEN spots from those that choose NOT TO LIVE UP TO THIER SCENARIO COMMITMENT !

The RAF side in the BoB Scenario had a LARGE Reserve to work with and had to usefew if any walkons and all flights flew at 100%.

We hope to achieve the SAME fo rBOTH SIDES in Midway.

Charging for events would fall under HTC's ruling.
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2002, 11:18:24 AM »
One theory I have heard is to REFUND Back the fee to those that do attend.

Any non-refunded fee goes for BEER for the CM's ( or diet Coke for me ! )

Nose art

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2002, 04:48:31 PM »
all I know is that I've signed up for all the major senarios and I don't think I've ever been picked to fly one. BoB being the last. :(  This was my favorite part of WB and I would love to be a flight leader again.  After the BoB though I'm kinda mad at it.  How many times do you have to sign up before you're given a slot, and I don't want to fly as a walk-on.  I want to be a flight leader or at least be part of a flight.

sigh..... I'll give it a go for Midway too I guess but I don't have my hopes up.:confused: :confused:

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2002, 04:56:45 PM »
Originally posted by Udie
all I know is that I've signed up for all the major senarios and I don't think I've ever been picked to fly one. BoB being the last. :(  This was my favorite part of WB and I would love to be a flight leader again.  After the BoB though I'm kinda mad at it.  How many times do you have to sign up before you're given a slot, and I don't want to fly as a walk-on.  I want to be a flight leader or at least be part of a flight.

sigh..... I'll give it a go for Midway too I guess but I don't have my hopes up.:confused: :confused:

You will get picked for MIDWAY if you register. You may not get your FIRST Choice and you may end up as a RESERVE to start with.

In ALL AH Scenarios that I have been a part of anyone who made the list or a reserve ended up flying.

If you want to be a FL we will be create a FL Wannabe Thread so the CO's can see who REALLY Wants to ehlp and will follow orders and keep tabs of thier Pilots they are responsible for and will show up on Frame day with the understanding of the orders sent to them and that the people in their flight will know what to do at take off.

Keep you chin UP !

Nose art

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2002, 05:02:29 PM »
I like the idea of a deposit.  You only get charged if you are a no-show.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2002, 05:15:36 PM »
Neet idea funkedUP.  

I seem to recall when AH first got started that the idea was to charge a fee for scenarios so I believe MNs suggestion is both valid and previously anticipated.

I tend to shy away from special events in any event.  They just havent arisen to my high expectation (never did in WBs either for that matter).  Guess Im just hard to please, or pleased to be hard.....haha
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2002, 05:20:39 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
Neet idea funkedUP.  

I seem to recall when AH first got started that the idea was to charge a fee for scenarios so I believe MNs suggestion is both valid and previously anticipated.

I tend to shy away from special events in any event.  They just havent arisen to my high expectation (never did in WBs either for that matter).  Guess Im just hard to please, or pleased to be hard.....haha

Kind of hard for us to REACH your level of expectation if we do not know what they are ?

What are AH Scenarios ( or TOD's, Snaphots, CAP or KOTH's ) missing or lacking.

What can be done to better meet your expectations ?

Thanks,

Nose art

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2002, 05:54:21 PM »
if you signed up as axis as a reserve you would have flown in BoB. We has 109 flights with just 3 guys. I disbanded 1 flight and assiugned then to fly with others.

The problem comes when folks register and then just dont show up. I have been in every scenario in ah (except Sicily and I could of flown if I wanted to) and in everyone the Axis has had open slots. Not just one or 2 but (in bob anyway) 1/3 of the axis slots were filled by reserves or walkons.

Hostile Shores we flew with 7 guys average over 4 frames, in Big week 8 out of 10. The registration aint the problem. I bet the axis in this next one will have lots of open slots and the allies will be 3-4 deep per flight.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2002, 05:58:52 PM »
Would this fee allow non-subscription players into scenarios? Might be a good PR move if it did.