Author Topic: Re:Control Tower Ideas for next release... What do you think?  (Read 530 times)

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Re:Control Tower Ideas for next release... What do you think?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2001, 09:54:00 PM »
surface winds were on until the PT boat came out.
There are still winds at alt (anyone else notice the nasty 12k wind shear).
Ground effect has been modelled since late beta -- if you doubt it, try landing in some other sim that doesn't have it.

Offline Thorns

• Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/computerpilot/
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2001, 10:17:00 PM »
As a SEL pilot, I would love to see wind as a factor of flight, takeoffs, and landings.
It would teach people to land into the wind, and would also teach them what happens when landing down wind.  As people over shoot the runway on the down wind landing, the focus would be to land into the wind for a more shorter roll out.  In an emergency the plan is still to get the plane on the runway, preferably with the wheels still intact. I would also like to see friendly collisions, but I sure that has been whipped about too.
Just 2 cents.

Thorns

PakRat

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2001, 07:24:00 AM »

Originally posted by INDN:
If you read what I wrote first I said that wind can increase ground effect which lowers the speed to land, BUT if you come in at the normal speed for landing not indicated you would be to fast and take longer to stop and even get the plane on the ground. If the wind stops blowing you can fall to the ground if there is not enough room to regain the airspeed.

This is just getting silly. Increasing ground effect does not cause a plane to land shorter. That is just a contradiction and misuse of standard terminology.

An airplane only knows how fast it is flying through the air. It has an AIRSPEED indicator. (With GPS you also know actual ground speed but for this discussion that doesn't matter.)

Wind does not increase ground effect. What you seem to be talking about is the normal precaution of landing at slightly higher speed when you have a strong headwind. Actually what you are doing is giving yourself a buffer against gusts and the wind temporarily dying leaving the plane with less than enough airspeed, possibly producing a stall low to ground, etc.

You also seem confused when you say "BUT if you come in at the normal speed for landing not indicated you would be to fast and take longer to stop and even get the plane on the ground".

Even if you were to decide to always land at the same groundspeed (foolish), you will still stop shorter due to the headwind. It doesn't make sense to always land at the same ground speed - air speed is what matters.

No matter how you slice it, a headwind will *decrease* the distance required to land and this is not ground effect.

---
PakRat
http://www.jump.net/~cs3" TARGET=_blank>63rd FS, 56th FG
"Zemke's Wolfpack"

"Juggies, dance us back in history!"

Offline INDN

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2001, 08:17:00 AM »
Last post on this issue. What do flaps do? Second I never said that ground effect decreases stopping distsnce wind does! Wind decreases take off roll! Ground effect in not there when on the ground! Read the discription adove. Wind effects the way you think while flying there for it effects the intire airplane does it not! This is not a BOEING 777 that does more thinking the the captain does! The subject was wind which can be trapped under the flaps and creat a cushion of air that will keep the plane floating while still moving forward causing you to fly the plane to the ground, I seen it happen been on planes the Captian said the plane did it then. It may not technically be the same but is the same feel!

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2001, 10:06:00 AM »
I've been posting for months in favor of wind effects at ground level, as well as weather at ground level. If I recall correctly I think HT said it was coming, just not right away...don't quote me though  

CRASH

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2001, 02:44:00 PM »
The thread was about tower enhancments.

I would like to be able to tell from the tower which fields lead to a hill and which do not. Either let me know as I look arround which direction I am facing or indicate on the launch  selection interface obstructed or not.

I would like to have a place where I could observe the airspace above a field unobstucted. NO ROOF. Same for the carrier. Let us have a resonable observation point.
The most realisitic would be to give us the turrent interface at the tower. Then we could have all degrees of movement and usefull zoom.

So a turrent interface for the tower(that would give us the direction info anyway.)

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2001, 02:53:00 PM »
anything that enhances realism is ok by me -

however

more people would be in favor of a change where - the second the turn on the game they are in a dense furball on someones six at 10k feet and every three kills a little noise goes off and they get a better gun and nitrous injection or invincibility or something....- i think it would be taken by most as a burden and be the cause of many a whine....

PakRat

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2001, 07:17:00 PM »
What do flaps do?

Not relevant - but they increase the effective angle of attack (allows dropping nose - better vis), increase wing area (lift), increase undercamber (lift), increase drag (help slow the airplane).

Second I never said that ground effect decreases stopping distsnce wind does! Wind decreases take off roll!

Agreed

Ground effect in not there when on the ground!

Actually it is if the plane has an airspeed - even if stopped and there is a wind. The wing is more efficient and produces more lift and less drag. That is ground effect.

Wind effects the way you think while flying there for it effects the intire airplane does it not!

No it does not. This as an explanation for ground effect is ludicrous.

It may not technically be the same but is the same feel!

Bzzzt. If it isn't the same thing then it isn't the same thing. Period.

I don't think you quite understand the physics of flight. If you are a pilot, you should understand what is going on. Your life depends on it. A wind blowing down the runway does not cause or increase ground effect.

ezdoc

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2001, 08:14:00 PM »
I'm for implementing it

------------------
EZDOC

http://www.jump.net/~cs3" TARGET=_blank>63rd FS, 56th FG
"Zemke's Wolfpack"

[This message has been edited by ezdoc (edited 03-19-2001).]