Author Topic: Besides the 38..interested in f4u's as well  (Read 307 times)

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
Besides the 38..interested in f4u's as well
« on: September 18, 2002, 01:57:11 PM »
Once again lets compare notes perhaps practice.

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2002, 04:15:28 AM »
My personal opinion is that the P38 can turn, but the F4U you don't really want to turn and you may have to stick with taking pot-shots on someone.  Also, I think the P38 accelerates better and definitely climbs better.  The P38 can perform an ascending spiral against an F4U and the F4U will never be able to guns on target.  But that move takes practice.

I'll be interested in reading what the more experienced players state.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2002, 07:31:47 AM »
F4U does one thing very well... E fight.  It can dive very well, and it's pretty fast.  It handles very well at high speed, and it rolls well.  This means you need and E advantage to win a fight in a Hog, and you must use good E-fighting techniques.  That doesn't mean you can't get tracking shots or that you have to BnZ, it just means that you use the vertical when you can, and you use things like yoyos and lag pursuit to use your higher energy state to get a kill.  You also need to realize when you no longer have enough E advantage to win, and know how to escape at that point.  (With a 0G dive toward home or fiendlies).

Energy fighting takes a great deal of skill and patience.  E-fighting in a plane like the Hog can be very challenging, because there are many planes that are faster than you are, and many more that can out-turn you and out accellerate you.  It's possibly the most difficult style of fighting, but it's (IMO) the most deadly and most rewarding.  I love flying the Hog, it's my #2 after the Jug.  It's a pure E fighter, it's tough, and it's got all the tools to get the job done.  It's also frequently under-estimated by your opponent, wich is always a benefit!

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2002, 08:41:38 AM »
Everything Lephturn said......
The F4U-1 is my favorite ride at the moment and has been since Tour27. The number one mistake the oponent makes seems to be a misjudgement of E state, number 2 would be turning radius. If I had a nickle for everytime someone shouted "HEY!! how did you out turn me?!" I'd have a big pile of nickles  ;)  It has excellent high speed maneuverablility and that 1 notch of flaps really helps to bring the nose around for a gun solution. But use them sparingly, my flaps are never down longer than I need them to be, sometimes  only for a second or two. It climbs horribly and it's a chore to get speed+ alt. Ideally I like to be around 300+mph when entering a fight, and with altitude you'll give any bogey a run for his money if your carefull, and by carefull I mean E-fight like leph said, you have to be cautious. Aircraft with good pilots at the stick will try to level the E-fight and get above you if they can, you can't be afraid to disengage at times, and if you keep your speed up you'll be able to come back while they are slow trying to grab alt.

1 hint (if you don't already know) burn the left wing fuel tank dry first. Then let it automanage the rest. By doing this you can push the envelope of the stall much further if there is still a little gas in the right wing. It makes stall fighting a HOG much more an option if you need to, though I wouldnt recomend it against the good Turning Aircraft. I will boast that one time I had 2 spits and an La-7 on my six, using the -1's slow speed handling I was able to get 1 spit to overshoot for a kill and the other spit and la-7 to stall and auger while trying to get a shot. I still regret not having the film running that sortie.

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2002, 06:24:50 AM »
Thank you gentleman . Lepth ..never see you much in MA anymore. Acid...great info on the f4u-1. I think I might give it a whirl tonight perhaps.

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2002, 11:05:03 AM »
I am around in the MA, just not alot lately.  I'm moving to Ottawa from Halifax on Monday and I've had a busy summer!  I have been online a few times in recent weeks though.  I'm planning on signing up for the Midway scenario.

I also choose the F4U-1 from the Hog stable.  Just beware that it has wing tanks as well as the fuselage tanks, so it can cary a great deal of fuel.  75% fuel in a -1 is a LOT more gas than 75% in the other Hog variants, so be aware of that as you choose your loadouts.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2002, 11:12:40 AM »
f4u-1 is a great plane.

One of the nicest tricks the f4u can pull is, it can lower it's gear at any speed under 400mph, acting as speed brakes.  When I'm flying it and have something(say, an la7) running me down, I'll start a turn, throw my gear down, and preform what I can best describe as a half of a barrel roll, with full rudder.  Nothing can slow down faster. :D

Keeping an f4u under control at near-stall speeds though is extremly difficult, but can be rewarding to learn.

Offline fdiron

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2002, 01:02:15 AM »
I've noticed that the F4U-1 loses directional stability at full power in a stall.  The nose wants to yaw left (I assume that this is due to torque).

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2002, 01:19:19 PM »
I'm no expert by any stretch but the 1D is my favorite ride. Love the plane and it transposes well from the 190A-4 I flew in WB. Rare I come across a F4U that is being flown as a fighter. Majority have thingys hangin from there wings on some sort of missun.

I always take a drop tank to get to the badguys, usually with a 1/2 tank on board, sometimes with a 1/4 if I'm not going far.

Always "start" with altitude. When you do get low, you'll be movin...:) High speed handling rocks. Use your roll rate in the vertical. It will turn with anything there ;)

She's not the fastest but once she has a head of steam she holds it well.

Lose your speed and most times your meat. Defensive scissors work along with even dropping gear for an overshoot. But in the Main, that makes you even slower. It comes down to which of you is willing to get the slowest. Handles well slow speed ( for me ) but even with a successful reverse...it's the Main...there's more on the way..

I have good success with slashing attacks with an eye out for faster a/c. The majority of faster a/c can also out turn you so it's good to watch the horizon for incoming surprises :eek:

Use the 10 o'clock 2 o'clock rule as to how far to pursue a break. When she's in her envelope she is great. Knowing when to leave is important. When it's time, IT'S TIME.  

And one day I'll learn that ;)

...or learn to shoot :D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2002, 01:39:53 PM by poopster »