Author Topic: Bombing Runs  (Read 618 times)

Offline Ralph Yondola

• Zinc Member
Bombing Runs
« on: September 18, 2002, 02:39:26 PM »
In an attempt to excape fighter attack while bombing, I have climbed to altitudes in excess of 23K and surmized that wind velocity and direction adversely impact the bomb run.

How do you compensate for wind?

What is a good rule of thumb with tailwind, headwind, and  cross wind?

Offline Fancy

• Copper Member
Bombing Runs
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2002, 05:18:47 PM »
Not only does wind impact bombing, but the margin of error drastically decreases.  I've bombed at 20k with success (I calibrate for at least 15 seconds), however, your best bet for a clean run into a given target is ROUTE[/b].  Stay out of enemy radar until the last possible moment, stay above 15k and the fighters won't be able to get to you in time.  Now getting home, that's another matter.

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
Bombing Runs
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2002, 08:14:43 AM »
There have been a couple posts in here regarding wind compensation.  Basically, the idea is to calculate approach vectors given the speed of your aircraft, speed of the wind, and angle between the two.

When I bomb from above the wind layer, I will choose an approach that negates that angle so my vector math becomes very simple.  By negating the angle, I mean I approach the target on the same vector as the wind.  This way, I will not have to laterally adjust my flight path to ensure a bomb strike.  The only variable I will have to take into account is how much to lead the target.  Here it becomes somewhat of a guessing game but you can become quite good at it by practicing offline.

In the simplest of terms, if you're approaching the target with the wind at your back, drop early.  If the wind is in your face, drop late.

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
Bombing Runs
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2002, 12:25:04 PM »
ok I've read alot of post that say you should drop early or a bit to the left etc, because of the wind.

But if you calibrate the site properly, ie keep the cross hair on the same point for 10 sec say, the bombs WILL hit were you aim.

What I do:

1: take off and climb to what you feel like I like at least above any nme, 24k seems good to me as many planes dont work well above that

2:calibrate the site to sea level (i do this so that the bomb site is looking forward so you can line up on target easier)

3: set salvo and set delay to 0.75 for 500lb or 0.80 for 1000lb

4:fly to nme target from any direction, although into or with wind is easier to keep plane lined up with target.

5:fly until target in bomb site an line up and open bomb bay doors.

6: calibrate bombsite properly:

F6,
U,
ESC (clipboard click on target),
ESC (shut clipboard),
Z (to activate zoom view),
[or] (to zoom view all the way in)
move joystick in x,y plane to keep on same point and then push and hold Y for as long as possible.
U

And its done for the first time

once you know these key presses off by heart you can calibrate very quickly

7: appproach target and I calibrate again as late as possible before dropping as this will help negate any errors that may creep in

8: when cross hair over target you want to hit pull trigger.

9:hit U and watch target be destroyed.

I have once again started to use 1000lb bombs as I am now confidant that I will hit what I aim for.

forget about wind layers if you calibrate you site properly this is taken into account, it why you can move the bombsite from left right as well as up down when marking your point :)

also notice that since ver 1.10 came out that there is only 1 wind layer not 4 like in ver 1.09 this I believe shows that in order for the site to work you can only have 1 wind layer as the site would not be able to compensate for more than this and wind drift would be a problem.

thankyou :)

Offline Dingbat

• Silver Member
      • http://mysite.verizon.net/res0v1l1
Bombing Runs
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2002, 12:55:59 PM »
I'm a newbie but how do you set salvo and delay?

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
Bombing Runs
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2002, 01:09:23 PM »
How do you determine wind direction? Is there an arrow or do you use trial and error by flying through it? Thanks, I never thought about this much!

Jason
AKSpnDoc
Spin Doc's Aces High VR Video channel! https://youtu.be/BKk7_OOHkgI

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
Bombing Runs
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2002, 01:36:05 PM »
When you bring up your clipboard, there is a button on the top that looks like a sprial.  Click it, and it will show you wind speed, direction and altitude.

Salvo is set by typing .salvo # into the radio.  Delay is set with .delay # into the radio.  For salvo, # represents the number of bombs to release.  For delay it is the time in seconds to delay between each bomb being dropped in the salvo.  You can only set your delay to values between 0.05 and 1.0.

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
Bombing Runs
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2002, 01:58:59 PM »
DaLadyzMon As JonnyB said but at the moment all arenas in the Ma have the following wind:

westerly (ie west to east -----> )
@14k
30knots

you will feel it in a plane if you fly west into the wind, the plane will suddenly rise when you get to 14k and then continue to climb faster than if you were travelling east (this can be a useful thing to know in a fight while extending) :)

Offline Starbird

• Copper Member
Bombing Runs
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2002, 04:21:58 PM »
The bomb site will correct for winds if you hold the crosshair on the same point in the ground.

You'll miss if you turn your bombers at all after calibrating. Any little heading deviation will throw your bombsite off (beacuse the wind is now at a different direction in relation to your plane).

Line up with your target before calibrating, and dont move until you drop your bombs.

Offline stahler

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.fmfnet.com/cmc/
Bombing Runs
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2002, 07:18:42 PM »
Originally posted by Dingbat
I'm a newbie but how do you set salvo and delay?

{signifies the keystroke}
An example of 4 bombs at 3/4 of a second delay would be:
{/}.salvo 4 {enter}
{/}.delay .75 {enter}

Happy bombing

Offline Dingbat

• Silver Member
Bombing Runs
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2002, 08:55:31 AM »
Thanks,

I tried that last night and Holy S--T my accuracy improved 10 fold.  I'm not much of a fighter pilot I like the bombings and air drops.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Bombing Runs
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2002, 09:14:26 AM »
It's worth noteing that AFAIK, the entire purpose of the high wind layer is to discourage strato-buffing.  Anyways, load up a b17 or b26 formation, grab a gunner, and get a couple of kills on the way to the target. :D

Offline Dingbat

• Silver Member
Bombing Runs
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2002, 09:32:47 AM »
Originally posted by Innominate
, grab a gunner, . :D

How you do that?

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
Bombing Runs
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2002, 09:46:24 AM »
request one over your country channel.  If anyone is available he will send a join request to you.  This will be a popup window on your screen saying that pilot x wishes to join you.  Click accept.  You now have a gunner.

If you wish to do the joining type:

.join pilot_name

into the radio buffer, where pilot_name is the gameid of the person you want to join.  So, in order to join me as a gunner, you'd type: .join jonnyb

Offline Dingbat

• Silver Member
Bombing Runs
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2002, 09:53:06 AM »
Great, thanks for the help.  My wife is getting mad at me cause i'm getting to addicted to this game, getting ready to pay my 15.