Author Topic: Images from Finland-Russia map  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
Images from Finland-Russia map
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2002, 12:53:48 PM »
Kanttori, any word from HTC on this terrain? If they can get it approved and on the servers by this Thursday, 3 Oct, I'll put it up in the CT the following day.

Sabre
CT Staff
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2002, 01:26:43 PM »
Hello Sabre!

I send Finland-Russia map files today to HTC/Ronni. I am waiting feedback, maybe she writes to me tomorrow...

I must make some final adjustments to the map, but I think I can send the final version files to you on thursday evening. I have now version FinRus11 and that you can have just now to check the fields and setup before friday if you want!

The new Terrain Editor is not ready yet, but I make updates to FinRus map after the new editor is released. I mean for example original skins to Russian and Finnish planes etc. Now we must play with english, american and germany skins, it's not nice...

And if it is possible, I want to see what kind of setup you are going to make to CT... I send my MOTD updated text with the files, there is setup as historical as it can be!

Can you please send me your e-mail adress where I can send the FinRus11 and other files!;)

Kanttori
Warrant Officer
Leijonat Squad
Suomi - Finland
ismo@kesalesket.net
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2002, 02:41:11 PM »
Hello again Sabre!

HTC just answer me:

"Thank you for sending us your new terrain, but we need the source files in order to build it and put it in an arena.  Please zip up the whole FinRus11 folder and send that to us."

Looks like it's OK with HTC! The map is ready on wednesday after I have made couple of checkings with it! I can still send to you the FinRus11 res-file, if you want to plan your CT settings there!:cool:

Kanttori

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2002, 07:14:27 PM »
Thanks, Kanttori.  Send the file to rkjern@adelphia.net and I'll start planning.  I'm not sure HTC will have it checked by Thursday or not.  They usually take a little longer than a couple days to check a terrain over. If it's ready for this weekend, I'll run it.  If not, but HTC approves it next week or the week after, it will definitely be in the CT rotation in the not too distant future.  It may be somebody else in the CT Staff that uses it, but it will get used.

As for the specifics, I'll try to stick with your set up as much as possible, as I know you've done a lot of research.  We sometimes make changes to balance play, but I'll be posting them ahead of time, so you and everyone else will get the chance to give their inputs.  For instance, I'll probably leave the P51 out, and may go with the F4F instead of the FM-2 as a substitute for the Buffalo.  From what I've read, the F4F (except for fire power) is more representative performance-wise of the Brewster then the FM-2.  Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

Sabre
CT Staff
P.S. I hope you don't mind if we allow anyone who wants to play the Finns to do so;).
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2002, 05:12:42 AM »
Hello Sabre!

Files are coming to you. You can take P51B away and change FM2 to F4F. We have thought about it with WMaker and it is good idea!

Send your MOTD to me when it is ready, please! We can check it together with WMaker (from Lentolaivue 34)!

We have one problem:

If you put Finland and Germany together (ROOKS !) they have two times more fields than Russia (BISHOPS). Is it possible that Germany is KNIGHTS and we have three countries in this area like in history? You can write to MOTD, that Germany and Finland don't shoot each other, they are ALLIED! It is intresting and little bit historical too when you must first identify planes (bishop or knight) and after that make your flight plans. What do you think?

I know the problem is near airfields, because rook's ack don't identify knight's planes and vice versa. But Knights have their own area in Estonia and Lappland and they must stay in those areas! Think about it!

I WANT OPINIONS TO THIS PROBLEM FROM OTHER PLAYERS, PLEASE! :confused:

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2002, 05:25:53 AM »
Kanttori, I think the best way is to setup Finnish Air Force and Luftwaffe to the same country. As you know Sabre can limit the Luftwaffe planes to the fields that historically had them (Immola for example). Having 2 allied countries in two different Aces High-countries will never work. Everybody doesn't read the MOTD properly and there are people who will shoot the ally-side just for the heck of it. We just have to leave the Lappland out this time to keep it even. There are too many problems to make it work. The major battle in 1944 was fought on the Karelian isthumus anyway.

Sabre,

Your plane choises sound very good. Personally I don't care much about substitutes but I know we'll need them to have enough diversity in the planeset. Looking good Sabre. :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2002, 05:28:17 AM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2002, 11:30:12 PM »
WMaker, I think you're right. I think Sabre knows the best way to do setup!;)

And Sabre, I'm sorry, I have worked with the map all night long (it's now 7.30 morning), but there is still very much to do:

I worked mainly with landscapes, because Archangel and Estonia areas was very "raw" looking. After I had adjust one place I found new place with "pyramids" and unnatural looking landscapes.

I have very many little but necessary things still to do, for ex. couple of spawn points to GV's, Knight's (Germany) roads and convoys in Lappland and Norway, New Clipboard map and maps from "Backwoods airfields", water tone adjustment etc.

Maybe I'm a perfectionist, but I don't want to release unfinished map and I need about one week to finish and test it in H2H. I promise to you that it is ready to HTC check at least wednesday 9. of October! I hope you understand me...:(

Can you please give me feedback from the map, it helps me with my work! For example:

-is it playable in CT?
-what you think about "Backwoods airfields" with "plane-hangers" (4 bomber and 8 fighter). Is it working in CT?
-are there enough fields, railways/trains, roads/convoys etc?
-are distanges between fields and targets too long in Lappland/Norway/Kola Peninsula?
-do you like to have more entry/spawn points here and there?
:confused:

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2002, 02:03:33 AM »
It might work out best if you put it up again in H2H so we could pop in and give it a fly around, Personaly i realy liked what u did with the back woods fields, i would like to see what you have done tough recentaly:)

I am up on the 18th, sabre is up this Friday and Buzz the folowing Friday, so depending on when you get it done, it will most likly fall on one of the 3 of us to run it.

Personaly I am very excited at the prospect of seing this in the CT it is the newest thing we have seen in a long time:)

« Last Edit: October 02, 2002, 02:09:07 AM by brady »

Offline crowbaby

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2002, 05:28:05 AM »
Really looking forward to this unique and characterful set up appearing in the CT! though i'll probably have to fly Soviet to balance the numbers...

Don't know if it was deliberate but it's great to see the discussion of the set up at such an early stage (before map is fully finished), helps us to understand what goes into it and how it's to be balanced etc.

gonna go to the Aircraft and Vehicles thread now and add my voice to the Brewster petition....

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2002, 06:45:40 PM »
Hello Brady and Sabre!

Now we finally have the new Terrain Editor and our skin team is starting to work with Finnish and Russian planes!:D

I release the map after skins are ready, I think it takes two or three weeks, it depends on our artists...

I have think about the Finland-Germany alliance and I am making them to same country: Rooks. I create more airfields to Russia, because I have now good fieldmap where is all Russian fields in this front.

I mean that Rooks (Finland-Germany) and Bishops (Russia) have then same amount airfields.

We can make different plane settings to Finnish and Germany airfields in Combat Theater. I think it is the easiest way to solve this alliance-problem and make equal quantity of fields to both sides!:cool:

OK?

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2002, 04:53:56 AM »
Hello Sabre, Brady and CT Staff!

I have now made some adjustments to FinRus map:

1) Finland and Germany are now Rooks (Knights HQ is in Stocholm/Sweden: no fields!:D ).

2) Bishop/Russia have now more fields: 38 (35 airfields, 2 Vehicle fields and one Depot). They have now many fields on the background (for ex. near Arkhangel, whick was one Germany target).

3) Rooks have same amount of fields than Bishops.

4) We have now couple of planes with Finnish signs: Hurri 1, F4F, Junkers 88 etc. They are still demos (no Finnish camouflage yet), but nice looking!:D

I am hosting FinRus12 in H2H arena in this Wednesday evening from 22.00 GMT and next time on Friday from 21.00 GMT. Wellcome to look the new systems to "Finland vs Russia Teams".

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2002, 07:43:10 AM »
Im sure Kanttori mean 20:00 GMT, because 22:00 GMT is midnight here in Finland (GMT+2).

Well,  lets see.

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2002, 12:51:31 PM »
You're right XJazz!

Today host is open 20.30 GMT (after sauna) and friday 19.00 GMT:D

Offline julle

• Copper Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2002, 01:00:37 AM »
Any news of the FIN-RUS being on the CT? PLS let´s us "2 weekers" know in advance...

julle, Überfinns Perkele!

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2002, 04:27:44 AM »
In my opinion, it would be better to use FM2 as the basis for the Brewster.  My reasoning is that all the VVS planes in the current AH planeset are the "super" versions of those planes.  AH lacks all the 1939-1942 VVS planes that the Brewster fought against.

The VVS gets super substitutes, therefore the "turbo Brewster" should be used as well.

Maybe skin both the F4F and FM2 as Brewsters? When early VVS planes are added into AH, the F4F can be taken into use.  And eventually, when we get the BW, we can disregard the substitutes altogether. :)

Best regards,

Camo
« Last Edit: October 10, 2002, 04:40:47 AM by LLv34_Camouflage »
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"