Author Topic: Initialization failed with -5??  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
Initialization failed with -5??
« on: September 19, 2002, 09:05:57 PM »
I just got a new system today and tried installing AH.  I get the following errors when trying to run it:

Initialization failed with -5
mainsn_failed -2

Already tried reinstall.  I'll try to re-download and reinstall.  

Athlon XP 2000
256 MEG (supposed to be 512! Going back to store tomorrow)
ASUS Geforce 4 Ti4200 128meg

Offline BlkWidow

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2002, 09:59:59 PM »
Check soundcard drivers

BW

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2002, 10:30:36 PM »
you're right.  I notice that there is no soundcard in this thing!  There is supposed to be onboard sound with the ASUS A7V333 motherboard, but I can't have access to it somehow!  Any way to run AH like this?  Or should I wait until tomorrow when I can pick up a sound card?

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2002, 10:57:15 PM »
Thx for the help!  I found the sound drivers and just hopped into the CT :)  Salute!

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2002, 11:15:10 PM »
Well tonight it is not working, although the problem seems to be different.  I am now getting only an Aces High window (maximized) and it stays white and I get an hourglass icon.  I can't do anything from there, not even shut off the computer.  I can only use the reset button.

I downloaded more recent drivers for the "onboard PCI sound device" and I have that working.  I am redownloading AH now and will do a fresh install.  Hope it works.  I am starting to get the shakes!

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2002, 12:01:28 AM »
I reinstalled AH, no joy.  The same thing happens with the film viewer.  Earlier in the evening, all my other 3d graphics apps were working, but now some of them have quit as well.  I thought the video card might be fried.  I downloaded the latest nvidia drivers, no change.  But then I tried Performance Test V4.0 and it does all the 3d tests with no problem!  What is going on?

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2002, 12:20:04 AM »
ok, now even that benchmark program says "no D3D device detected"!  Could it just be heat?  I have the case open and a big fan blowing into it.  I guess I'll take back the card tomorrow.  If anyone has any ideas, I'll try anything.

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2002, 12:22:38 AM »
aha!  Now when I go to desktop properties, settings, advanced, I don't get the extra nVidia tabs.  They were there a few minutes ago!

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2002, 03:14:20 AM »
I have read somewhere that AH doesn't work properly with onboard sound setups.

On a wider issue, I find I still get occasional hard lockups and I'm convinced they are sound related. It's hard to pin it down.

Offline Hussein

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2002, 04:48:18 AM »
AH works just fine with onboard sound.

Miska, judging from what I read I'd say it's time to stop messing with your puter and call in someone who has a bit more expertise on setting up hardware.

After he gets your system running, do a full backup of your system OR leave the settings UNTOUCHED if it works.

If you insist peddling still with it, reinstall DirectX8.1b, nvidia drivers, lan drivers and sound drivers.

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2002, 06:50:09 AM »
That's exactly what I did last night, reinstall direct X 8, uninstalled ASUS video driver, downloaded latest nVidia, reinstalled audio PCI driver.  

All the 3d apps give me the same thing: a window with the name of the app in the border, the inside of the window is white, and I have an hourglass cursor in there which I can move.  I have to reset out of it.  Looks like it might be the video card.

Everything was working fine after I initially installed the audio drivers.  Since then, 3d apps have stopped working (gradually).  Wouldn't this argue that the video card is the problem?  What else does it suggest?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2002, 07:16:18 AM by Miska »

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2002, 07:42:44 AM »
how about this strategy?

Before taking the card back in, I will format c:, reinstall win98, install via 4in1 drivers, install nVidia drivers, direct X 8.1, PCI audio drivers, then AH and I'll see what happens.

Offline Hussein

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2002, 09:01:21 AM »
Sounds good. But if your system malfunctions again after installing sounddrivers, find another version of those and try installing them instead.

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2002, 09:43:44 AM »
finished the above.  Downloading AH now.  At least now I get dxdiag to work and it does all the tests ok.  Before I couldn't even run dxdiag!  It seems then that the video card is ok?

I'll get on the newer audio drivers after I try AH.

Thanks for the opinions and help.  I'll let you know what happens.

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2002, 10:46:21 AM »
Running at max res with mip mapping, the whole works.  Now I get no sound :D

The computer obviously thinks it is sending out the sound, but the speakers (two different pairs, USB and powered) are not outputting it.

I have a crapola ESS 1 solo card in an old computer.  I'll put it in as a test.