Author Topic: More bombers around and more off-mappers  (Read 453 times)

funked

More bombers around and more off-mappers
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2001, 03:23:00 AM »
Guys there is a simple solution.  When you see them flying off map, tell the enemy their location.  If everybody does this, problem is solved.  

Offline Effdub

• Zinc Member
      • http://home.netsurf.de/robert.sander/
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2001, 05:17:00 AM »
I like the "feature" that the Map is unlimited. In Fighter Squadron you ran into an invisble wall that woulden't let you fly off the map - a real immersion killer  

But... I totally agree that off-map-bombing is dweebish as hell. Like Arado drivers, these guys want to cause damage without taking risks, or giving us a fair chance to stop them... Arado's are "ok" with me (as long as they have no guns to actively attack my fighter, why bother? :P

Ok, what to do with off-map-dweebs?

"Airplane blows up after a certain off-map-time is exceeded" quite nice  

or "Airplane's guns, loadout are disabled after awhile of off-map-flying"
This variation is a little meaner, since the guy would have to fly back home... extra time spent in a useless buff  

Effdub

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2001, 05:58:00 AM »
I am sure the german radar ops did think that same when allied bomb raids went by the sea outside of their radar range  

"Donnerwetter chzeat!"

[This message has been edited by Fishu (edited 03-19-2001).]

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2001, 10:10:00 AM »
There is no real excuse for the off-the-map bombers.  Whether it's climbing to alt, or trying to get around defenses.  It's pure "gaming the game" and I can't see a single good reason why it should be allowed.  I watched several raids come to hit our HQ these last couple of days, almost every time they were off the map.  It makes one dweeb able to unbalance the game with an attack on the HQ that can't really be defended against.  The "well fly off the map and find them" excuse is a joke used to try and justify it.

I've said this before somewhere else, set the fuel burn rate at 50X normal while off the map, give the person a warning, and then let them run out of fuel.

It's been brought up so many times now and people keep doing it, though I never have.  One of these days they'll make a change, I hope, to stop it.

-Soda

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2001, 11:16:00 AM »
Bah, you guys whine so much this and that about radar that I can't believe my eyes..

I'd be rather happy to have far more simplified radar that would make sneak attacks possible.
That would bring in some strategical elements.

Offline Nethawk

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2001, 11:38:00 AM »
The maps are unrealistic, the radar in the game is unrealistic - if you really want your HQ and other bases protected, then figure out a better way of patrolling them instead of whining about it.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2001, 11:42:00 AM »
HTC ppl have mentioned that the offmap problem is on the "to do" list

SKurj

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2001, 12:09:00 PM »
So HTC is going to do something to that off-map flying?
So the game is not intended to play off map?

Of course they could spend that time making new planes, vehicles, ships or have a party in local restaurant...

Offline buhdman

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~wjbarrow
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2001, 12:18:00 PM »
gatt,

I'm sure the personnel in every installation that was "snuck up on" in WW-II felt that they couldn't stand it.  But it happened then and it happens now.  We simply need more people to do what I (and others) do from time-to-time.  Pick a field on the border of the map and run a patrol to find the bastages BEFORE they get close to their targets.  It doesn't pay off every time, but when it does, you feel soooo gooood.  If radar can't spoon-feed us targets, we have to go out looking for them.  Kind of like when your HQ gets plastered and the radar is out.  These are the most exciting times for me, because you truly don't know what trouble, if any, you're going to find.  Try a patrol now and then and see what happens  

Buhdman, out

Offline Skysix1

• Zinc Member
      • http://sky610.tripod.com/skyssite/
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2001, 12:59:00 PM »
I fly bombers almost every time I am in AH. I have never flown off the map and I do not know why anyone would want to fly off the map.  That takes all the fun outta shooting down enemy fighters and trying to stay alive    But I guess there must be a damn fine prize for getting a high score or something if people are flying off the map.

Is there something that makes it worth the ridicule of being the one caught flying off the map? (I heard someone mention perks?).  Maybe the root of the problem should be looked at?

I do think no matter what happens that if you fly off the map you should find an increasing downdraft the closer you get to the edge and at the edge a should be a windshear nothing could escape from. (basically send em back to the tower).

------------------
Chuck Perry   
"Sky61"

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2001, 01:33:00 PM »

Originally posted by ElLobo:
I would like to see some islands or continents off the map. Maybe with unmapped airbases with special perk planes that you can use if you find them. If three planes land on an unmapped island an airfield will appear...the possibilites are endless HT make the world bigger...Please

Maybe have islands with little guys in white suits yelling..."boss da plane, da plane"? How about some 'quad-damage power-ups', or maybe a nice rail gun or BFG for your bomber?  

------------------
Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

Offline anRky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.domogarden.com
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2001, 02:06:00 PM »
Sandman_SBM wrote:
------------------------------------------
Just don't go after them alone. It's an easy way to die.
------------------------------------------

It's interesting that in WWII, bombers flew together in packs to try to protect themselves from fighters.  In Aces High, it's the fighters that have to fly in packs, to attack lone bombers.

anRky
-Ih8ubb
'Get rid of the bucket!'

TheWobble

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2001, 02:40:00 PM »
its almost funny to see how people get pissed when somebody evades the STUPID "radar" system that AH has, you wanna talk about gamey?  how about a "radar" that will pick you up from across the map IN YOUR OWN HANGER, thats "gamey"  due to my rather larg perk stash i never fly any bomber other than the arado..but given the BS radar system i can understand people flying off the map, its totally stupid the way the radar show planes even on the ground, you SHOULD be able to fly under it at say 300-500 feet AGL until your within about 15 miles of the NME.

So basicall the "radar" is the problem, it is the CAUSE, off them map flying is the EFFECT, so by trying to address the off the map flying is DUMB, address the CAUSE.

the radar is already screwed, so why not fix THAT, then maby this "off them map" crap will change.

All in all the AH "radar" system is a joke, thats why you have off the mappers, if something needs to be changed its the radar, ITS the problem, the off the mappers are just the result of having a BS radar system.

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2001, 02:51:00 PM »

Originally posted by buhdman:
gatt, I'm sure the personnel in every installation that was "snuck up on" in WW-II felt that they couldn't stand it.  But it happened then and it happens now.  We simply need more people to do what I (and others) do from time-to-time.  Pick a field on the border of the map and run a patrol to find the bastages BEFORE they get close to their targets.  It doesn't pay off every time, but when it does, you feel soooo gooood.  If radar can't spoon-feed us targets, we have to go out looking for them.  Kind of like when your HQ gets plastered and the radar is out.  These are the most exciting times for me, because you truly don't know what trouble, if any, you're going to find.  Try a patrol now and then and see what happens

Eheh Buhdman,
if you take a look at my stats you'll realize that I enjoy patrolling our HQ and fields against buff. My k/t really sucks  

"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2001, 05:49:00 PM »
"...It's interesting that in WWII, bombers flew together in packs to try to protect themselves from fighters. In Aces High, it's the fighters that have to fly in packs, to attack lone bombers..."

Exactly!  You have to make allowances for gameplay, but the advantage has swung too far the bombers way.

bowser