Author Topic: Knights are hereby put on notice.  (Read 633 times)

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
Knights are hereby put on notice.
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2001, 02:20:00 PM »
I think about the only thing Fighter Ace 2 did right was the bombsight. You had to actually guesstimate where to aim on a scale like sight according to your altitude and speed. With a bit of practice you could hit a large target about 75% of the time, but no way you could nail a small target like ack unless you unless you dropped 3 or 4 bombs and walked them into the target.

------------------
Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

Offline TPIguy

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2001, 02:25:00 PM »
TPIguy has 10 kills and has been killed 2 times against the Lancaster III.

TPIguy has 9 kills and has been killed 4 times against the B-26B

TPIguy has 6 kills and has been killed 3 times against the B-17G.

Buffs are easy to kill, if ya don't let em get off the runway  

TPIguy has 29 kills and has been killed 19 times against the Ostwind.

Thrown in just for fun

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2001, 02:26:00 PM »
I dunno guys.  Evertime I take the time to setup my attack first, the bomber dies.  If I just go right in without setting up, its a crpshoot in the bomber's favor.

I flew one mission many tours ago, where I shot down a Lanc, then a 17 and finally a 26.

The biggest problem is that there is no early warning of raids so the fighter is almost always attacking from a disadvantage.  Both the British and Germans could watch raids forming while they were still over enemy territory on radar.  Here we don't get any warning until they are already over our territory.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Bring the Spitfire F.MkXIVc to Aces High!!!

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2001, 02:32:00 PM »

I dunno guys. Evertime I take the time to setup my attack first, the bomber dies. If I just go right in without setting up, its a crpshoot in the bomber's favor.

I used to preach this too... but lately it hasn't been working on B-17s at all.  No matter how much alt or how much of an advantage, those guns are simply lethal in the right hands... and there's more of them than any single fighter can bring to bear on it.

The lancs are much easier for some reason, I don't really know why.  The B-26 is easy too, with the belly blind spot it has there is truly a blindspot to attack from.  It just seems that even with a buff only having 1 set of guns capable of pointing straight down, more than 2 .50s are firing in that direction.

AKDejaVu

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2001, 02:47:00 PM »
If I read score page right I'm having 20 kills in B-17 and I've died 3 times in it...

K/D ratio about 6,66; The number of the beast  

Offline loser

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2001, 02:55:00 PM »

Originally posted by Staga:
I was flying Ta-152 in about 30k searching bombers when I saw a buff in a little lower.
I made a good attack, ping ping ping and wing-tip was gone...
It flyed well but I crashed in landing so there went 50points.

If I remember correct buffs armament are "Tuned Up" thus giving them a better change to survive in arena so why not also give better strenght to planes wings, bigger punch to small cal MGs and faster speed to slow planes so they can survive too?

i remember that staga, that was a good attack , i just got lucky.  Good job trying to land that, you damn near made it

<S> bud

i havent really noticed that buff guns are that uber, cause i have experience on both ends...i think it is more a matter of the buff gunners skill.  Some guys will just start pepperig the fighter at d 1.2 and not do much, but most of the fighters kills i have are a result of holding off to about 700 or less then concentrating fire on a wing tip.  Firing all over or at the engine doesnt seem to cut it.

lazs

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2001, 02:58:00 PM »
deja u are beyond belief..  LOL is not an experession u should use since I'm sure you have never laughed in your life.... out loud or otherwise.

read him for the sixth time deja... "1 bomber can drop laser guided bombs with impunity and then take out fighter
                    after fighter because they are trying to get him quick and can't use the patience
                    required for these monsters before he makes the field totally useless. "  

duh... everyone admits that a buff can be taken out but.... It's not easy.   it takes time to set up.   Apache not only mentions "laser guided" bombs but explains that gettin them "quick" is near impossible.  But..... Why bother to get em quick?   well.... before they drop the fighter hangers or fuel and make the field "useless".   How can one bomber make a field useless before fighters can even set up and effective pass???   BECAUSE IT IS TOO EASY AND QUICK TO MAKE A FRIGGIN FIELD "USELESS".

End of reading comprhension lesson for the day.
lazs

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2001, 03:37:00 PM »
i was reading over the weekend about a tactic used by luftwaffe piltos where they stayed just outside the 3,500 ft range to keep gunners trained on them while another plane did a high speed cut - thats about 1.1k yards right? even then that was the limit of their range not the sweet spot - additionally moving targets were extrememly hard to hit which is why the high speed passes of folks like werner moulders were so effective

i believe it was a caption of a photo - i honestly dont remember now, perhaps someone has better info - but i have been hit in AH from 1.3k by one or two 1/2 inch bullets and had the entire empanage and both wings fall off - it doesnt seem very realistic, the damage seems extremely exaggerated

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2001, 03:44:00 PM »
Otto is still a hot topic for contention in Warbirds, after al lthe years I've been playing it neither fighters or bombers have been happy one way or the other. If you guys use you heads you'll attack a buff when its lining up and take the chance that he's in the norden, the fact still remains that a lone B17 was not the easy target you'd like to think it was.

As for pinpoint bombing...again this topic has been done to death over the years, if you give bombers some realistic spalsh damage and cumulative splash damage to targets maybe then we could carpet bomb in a more historical fashion and you guys would be happy as would I think the majority of buff pilots.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2001, 03:57:00 PM »

Originally posted by ET:
As of 3:10 PM EST Mar.19.2001
B17 kills 3043 killed 3445
B26 kills 2410 killed 3190
Lan kills 1527 killed 2626
Total kills 6980 Total killed 9261

JU88 kills 651, been killed 1728
TBM kills 489, been killed 2244

Quit crying and stop lumping all of the bombers into one group.  

------------------
Mickey
3./JG2

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2001, 04:06:00 PM »

. If you guys use you heads you'll attack a buff when its lining up and take the chance that he's in the norden, the fact still remains that a lone B17 was not the easy target you'd like to think it was.

Gunners are just as lethal.. and they work while the pilot is dropping bombs.  There just doesn't seem to be a reliable way to get buffs.

AKDejaVu

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2001, 04:23:00 PM »
Lazs, I'm not going to argue this with you, for you already have your oppinion... had it even before you read this thead.. even found a way to try to fit it in.

I'd just like to see one topic on anything be discussed without you coming in and claiming the ease with wich fighter hangars are destroyed is the REAL problem.

Maybe we could discuss how difficult it is to take down a buff... and see if it needs to be re-evaluated.  Maybe see if the extra .3k window a buff is given needs to be re-thought.  Maybe that could be discussed for once without you popping in and showing everyone your bellybutton yet again.

AKDejaVu

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2001, 05:40:00 PM »
Boycott Bombers!

bowser

lazs

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2001, 08:31:00 AM »
deja, u can't seperate the issues of the bombers being hard to take out from the targets being too easy to take out.

If the fighters can't take the time to make historic/realistic attacks on the bomberes then they can't make effective passes on em.  Why can't they take the time?  Well.... they just don't have the time.   It is a combo of the targets being to easy to dissable and the bombs being too accurate.   You simply don't have time to plan your attack in all but a few instances.

I believe that the guns are a little too wicked on the buffs but even 2 fighters with time could circumvent that in much the way mrfish describes.   trouble is... there is no time.  If the fields were hours apart that would be one solution but even you wouldn't like that i imagine.  

If the bomb accuraccy was less that would help also.   If the fields were more dificult to disable that would be more realistic and give more time also.  If the guns were toned down a taste on the buffs that would help too.   A combo of all three would be best i would think.

Simply making the bombers helpless would probly not go over very well with the buff guys.   I would be willing to trade em realistic bomb damage for realistic bomb damage and realistic field hardness and usefulness.
lazs

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2001, 08:42:00 AM »
Lazs, I think that to keep buffs to normal operations altitude HTC could easily implement an error diffusion algorithm. Basically as you get xx feet higher than a set altitude the bombsight's error gets higher. At 10-15K, a chance for 2% error. As it gets higher the percentage goes up. When you get up around 30K the chance for error climbs to 90%.

Just an idea of course.
-SW