Author Topic: AH on X-Box?  (Read 341 times)

Offline DmdBT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.damned.org
AH on X-Box?
« on: September 22, 2002, 08:39:17 AM »
Just picked up an X-Box yesterday and the clerk mentioned that it would be going online in the next couple months for internet gaming. I see ThrustMaster makes a pretty nifty joystick for the Box and was wondering if HTC would ever consider making a version of AH for it.  Talk about an abundance of baby seals... err an explosion in the player base  :)

Lonz

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
AH on X-Box?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2002, 09:16:10 AM »
I hope not! HTC is doing just fine catering for the PC market. He coped flak from Mac users for not doing aMac version but look at how far Aces High has evolved on one platform over the competition who have  tried to be both PC and Mac compliant not to mention talk of a XBOX version of Warbirds...hell they can't even properly support the formats they have now!

I'd say that most console owners are not really interested in flight sims or they would have bought a PC by now, look at the catalogue of games now and for the last 6 years and you'll see there really is'nt much demand for them.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
AH on X-Box?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2002, 09:35:50 AM »
Depending on how much AH relies on directX, it might not be too difficult to port AH over to the X-box.  It uses directX, and is largely designed to be able to do to consoles what they did to PC's.

God I hate microsoft.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
AH on X-Box?
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2002, 09:47:01 AM »
You guys saw what happened when ICI was bought out by a game company, didn't you?

Be careful what you wish for- it may come true.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
AH on X-Box?
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2002, 09:57:45 AM »
Can you hook up a keyboard to an X-Box?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
AH on X-Box?
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2002, 10:28:30 AM »
I asked HT that when the xbox was introduced..and he said whats an XBox?

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
AH on X-Box?
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2002, 10:45:48 AM »
^ Maybe he did'nt understand your question, did you ask it in binary or english? :)

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
AH on X-Box?
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2002, 05:11:24 PM »
IMO, porting over AH to a console system wouldn't be that hard, especially to a console like the X-Box, which uses a dumbed down version of the Win2k kernal and DirectX.  Porting it over to the Playstation 2 would be harder and would require AH be entirely rewritten for the PSX2.  Don't know if it's worth trying to port it to the Linux Playstation 2, since it's only available in Japan, other than a few test boxes we have here at work.

ack-ack

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
AH on X-Box?
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2002, 07:03:42 PM »
you can run linux on an xbox,i beleive we had a player who was playing on linux using WINE,take a look here,,i reckon it could be done :)
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
AH on X-Box?
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2002, 07:29:36 PM »
You gotta ask like this:

aichtee, kan yu luk intwo pourting acishi two tha ecksbocks/?

:D
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
AH on X-Box?
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2002, 07:36:49 PM »
only way it would end up leaving the pc market is if htc

1. completly finished making and adding all planes.
2. all graphics were modernized
3. most bugs\glitches were out

btw

doesnt it seem odd linux will run on a console made a micro$oft but not windows ???

(i should sign back up for MA just to do the midway thing)

Offline cobra427

• Nickel Member
AH on X-Box?
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2002, 08:33:10 PM »
IMO AH would be grat on a Xbox i love console games ...pc game on a console would be two great wolds combined .... there wouldent be any lag problems and if there where verey little cause well all Xbox's are the same :) i dont own an Xbox yet but i will soon ive been play'n console games for a lomg time ... (long to me im only 16:P) i just started on pc games AH was the first WWII flight sim i ever played .... ive had other pc WWII sims but i never liked the pc now i love it

but i still love my console games heck ive got my ps2 ...dreamcast ... snes...and duckhunter on nes ...on the tv behind me ...so if you ever see me fly'n and not do'n nutt'n u know its safe to shoot me :)

imagine the graphic enhancement they could make for the Xbox cause they are all the same so nobody will complain ...my comp only gets a FR of 20 what do i do... btw thats me :P

saitek has Xbox sticks ... i think what else do you need ...if ya got a big screen maby you will finally see the con on your 6 instead of chas'n a piece of dust on the screen

if HTC wanted they could probably make the Xbox universe compadible with the pc MA CT or whatever i dont know much about it but it could probably work... if not well then they could do other things with it ...

it would probably bring in a ton of $$$  i mean i would buy AH and an Xbox if it was on Xbox ... look at HALO wasnt that a pc game? lnot the most popular game still but everyone that i know that owns a Xbox has it

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
AH on X-Box?
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2002, 08:59:03 PM »
I dunno how well the Xbox would take to updating the program, let alone installing it in the first place.

All games are done when they are released for the Xbox, not one game needs a patch or gets one.... I don't imagine it's possible to even upgrade software even if you could...

yes, it uses the Win2K Kernel... but the entire OS side of it is very much simplified.

Halo was supposed to be a PC game, they dropped that idea and went Xbox only.
-SW

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
AH on X-Box?
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2002, 09:53:12 PM »
Originally posted by AKSWulfe
Halo was supposed to be a PC game, they dropped that idea and went Xbox only.
-SW

Actually, Halo would take very little time to port to the PC, in fact according to the developers it is already done.

The reason they dont release it for the PC: Marketing.

Halo is Xbox's flagship game. Its the game that sells Xboxes
Why would you get an Xbox if you can play Halo in your PC?

They will release it on PC by the time Halo 2 is about to go gold.

Its all a marketing game really.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
AH on X-Box?
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2002, 10:43:43 PM »
Actually, Halo wasn't the game that sold XBox... lots of other things were, and all of the hype around it.

I didn't see any TV commercials for Halo until well after the X-Box came out. I saw plenty of commercials for Madden, NFL, etc...

The reason they shipped with the Xbox rather than release it for PC was because they had a guaranteed contract with M$ for a whole lot more money and more units to sell.

With the XBox they got guaranteed they would sell a lot since it came bundled with it.

With the PC, only so many people would of bought it...

Already played through Halo on every difficulty except Easy.. do ya know when are they gonna release Halo 2?
-SW