Author Topic: WW2OL Revisited  (Read 5868 times)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #375 on: September 26, 2002, 11:02:58 PM »
Har, har. As if you needed an invitation to pontificate about that game.

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #376 on: September 26, 2002, 11:05:57 PM »
This will actually be a review. Pontification will come later. Question is, who will be doing it.

BTW..this is number 400

hardcase

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #377 on: September 26, 2002, 11:13:39 PM »
This isnt a review but it will give some idea of the depth I plan on going into.

0168? What happened to 0167? It has been almost 10 weeks since we posted the first 0167 Dev Notes and in that time we have released almost weekly to the beta. This has pushed us past the 0167 designation. Beta is now at 01671 and will be released as 0168. That’s quite a lot of Beta for us as our testers can attest. What all that testing has done brings us to today’s announcement. As we get closer to the release of 0168 it is important to review just what is expected to be in the patch and what will be coming both before and after the patch. The following is an update to the original outline of features for the upcoming release with many new things added and a general overview of the feature set for 0168.
0168:

Attrition:The original plan going into this update was to continue on the attrition first implemented in 0166. The plan called for making sappers and smgs attrited along with everything else that was added in 0166. Following the Event Server Test we had last week we are more confident in adding attrition. For 0168 the only general vehicles available to any country will be riflemen and one plane. This will bring us closer to the full attrition that we feel is the future for WWIIOL.

Further limited attrition will be a major shift in game play and needs to be planned for by the community. To understand attrition and its affect on game play you have to grasp what Ownership and Control are and how they operate in the game. There will be a more in depth discussion of how this will affect game play prior to the 0168 Test (see below).

Sentries:The greatest threat to full attrition is the fully suppressed AB. To this end we are adding the Alert system to the game. The Alert system is based on the AB and detects vehicles that come within a predetermined distance. These distances vary depending on vehicle type (troop, tank, plane, boat). The Alert system includes map icons and occasional HQ messages that can Alert players to detected enemies.

The system is designed to replicate lookouts and sentries and not radar. The detection ranges are based on what a person on the ground can see and hear. They are not designed to replace the need for human intel, they are designed to simply detect enemies who are close to the AB.

Firebases:When we posted about FBs in the original Dev Note we said that we had decided to not change FB to sapper only due in large part to community opinion. We will not be changing this for 0168. The debate, however, continues. If you have opinions on this matter please make them known to us. We will be bringing a poll up to gauge community concerns after 0168.

Vehicles:BlenIV – New dive angle at 40 degrees and the ability to jettison bombs.SA-L Mle34 – New sight.Bofors 40mm – Medium AA gun for the British, tow only.Vickers Light tank – First .50 caliber MG in the game.Morris CDSW – Puller for the Bofors.Fairmille – HE now available to the main gun.Binoculars – New Infantry load out available to Captains and above.

Textures:The new textures were announced and previewed in the original Dev Notes but that does not begin to describe what DirectX 8.1 entails. The update will bring new lighting to every texture in WWIIOL. The specular and ambient lighting are very nice, giving water a glint from the sun and giving a tactile feel to cloth and metal surfaces throughout the game. I hope to have screenshots for you by the end of the week.

Sound:The list of sound enhancements has grown steadily since we began this dev cycle and includes panning, Doppler and hardware acceleration support.

Effects:Since we posted the original Dev Notes we have begun an audit of our effects system and expect it to be partially done for this release. New bullet holes have been shown and we will be adding new grenade scorch, new impact smoke and a host of other effects in this patch and in the patches to come. We expect everything in the effects system to receive an audit in the coming months.

AI:The AI machine gun and anti-tank guns have been retuned. This gives the player with a modibody fluid of situational awareness a much greater opportunity to survive an encounter with them. We have decreased the accuracy of the guns and no longer allow them to track players outside their field of fire. AA will not be altered.

Terrain:The biggest news for terrain is certainly the new textures but we have also been hard a t work adding new towns. This update brings almost 30 new towns to the map in the east and the west as well as new airfields at Bitburg, Reims and Metz.

Bugs and Fixes:The list for fixes is too big to post here but some of the highlights are:Fixed multi-crew bugs for vehicles with deploy (He111, Stug, AT guns).Fixed Airplane collisions with ground vehicles.AI no longer kills friendly units.Infantry collisions with vehicles.

Before the patch:

We will be hosting 0168 on the Event server for a few days beginning next week. We will be using this open testing to allow players to give us feedback on performance and other issues that might come up due to the vast amount of code changed for Dx8.1 implementation. This open test will be different from our open test for 0160 in that we are not testing new rule sets but instead are looking for performance testing. To this end do not expect the server to be up for great lengths of playtime during prime time. We will open the server at a variety of times and over several days in order for as many people as possible to report on their experience.

After the Patch:

The ’41 vehicle set is progressing along very nicely. We are planning to release the French and German scout cars as ’40 vehicles as soon as they are both ready but we will not hold 0168 for them. Following that release we will be putting together the first ’41 vehicle set for release. Many of these vehicles are already complete and waiting for 0168 to go live so that the remainder can be finished.

If you have questions about the 0168 release or would like to discuss any of the features a thread has been started here

I plan on writing a tad more.

hardcase

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #378 on: September 26, 2002, 11:14:21 PM »
hehe, you think you have been behaving in good ettiquette? Spam is good ettiquette? This isn't the first time you've behaved as a rude guest, but it is certainly the most insistant you have been.

Notice you don't want to talk about the current game anymore, nor do you care to write a counter-review to what Vulcan wrote. Could it be that you plan to use the ol' "you haven't played this version, so you don't know" card? Naw, you wouldn't pull that cheap trick. ;)

FWIW, my invitation was for you to write a review of the current game, the one we have played. I mean, after all, if we got the review wrong it is only fair that you set the record straight on the same version, right? Apples to apples and such. No, you will probably take the cheap way out. ;)

I still say you don't have it in you to write an unbiased piece on that game, this version or any version.

And let's do this another way while we're at it... you have a point about doing this on the AH BBS... it isn't my place, so I cannot "invite" you to advertise. You post your review and link it to this BBS. We can lift the finer points off as necessary.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #379 on: September 26, 2002, 11:17:13 PM »
Bad form, HC, that is lifted right off the development news from the HQ site. You don't mean to tell me you are only going to rip off someone else's writing, do you? ;)

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #380 on: September 26, 2002, 11:22:54 PM »
current game. The game is always in flux. Some problem with this next version I shouldnt talk about? You should be able to tear it up, remember the basics are flawed and the rats are incompetent.
I tried to back out of doing this. You wanted to twist me in the wind a moment. So I called you on this. Read the last post from me. There are no changes in the   flight model other than the titanium control surfaces on the 109. Nothing has changed in the ground vehicles except some additioins. Dont worry, you can tear it up. I believe this is going to take at least 2 weeks to do. The game will have changed by then and a review tomorrow would be inaccurate.

I believe i stated this was not a review..it is exactly that. Taken off developers forum.

Dont worry, my work will be original.

hardcase
« Last Edit: September 26, 2002, 11:27:17 PM by hardcase »

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #381 on: September 26, 2002, 11:24:59 PM »
Ok, but you don't get the easy out of saying, "You haven't played this version, you don't know". Once you pull that card, you lose.

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #382 on: September 26, 2002, 11:30:18 PM »
Using that card would be a cheap shot wouldnt it? Now, you might have to get an account to confirm what I say or dont say. Do you plan on taking my word for it?...just wondering..will you take an account to tear my review up?..13 bucks...all it takes.
You can post all you like there too.

hardcase

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #383 on: September 26, 2002, 11:30:49 PM »
No, the "basic flaws" are you and Fishu will not allow people here who have played the game to state their opinions. It seems you have entirely missed the point of this 400+ post thread. Not surprising, really, given the zealot you have been for that game.

In truth, I don't care a bit about CRS or WWIIOL. I washed my hands of that fiasco long ago. What I can't abide is you carrying that sycophant attitude over here and attempting to outshout people who have done everything possible to be fair and try the game you love so much- which by the way is far more than you ever did for AH- 'course that didn't keep you from throwing jabs at AH, did it? (hypocrite)

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #384 on: September 26, 2002, 11:33:31 PM »
Fair? That pretty much wasnt the case, but that is my opinion. I am thinking of adding pics too..Keymapper, new vehicles.. some FPS shots of my machine playing. This is really taking shape. Links to player videos..way cool.

I will post it and credit you with inviting me to., Hell I might sell it to someone.

hardcase:D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2002, 11:38:31 PM by hardcase »

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #385 on: September 26, 2002, 11:36:10 PM »
I can pretty much assure you I wouldn't give you the satisfaction of ever giving WWIIOL another shot- good job, "spokesman". As for your review, I'll just pretend I am you attacking a negative WWIIOL review. It'll be easy. Truth won't have a thing to do with it.

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #386 on: September 26, 2002, 11:39:43 PM »
Excellent!.. I hope so. As long as it is read.

hardcase

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #387 on: September 26, 2002, 11:40:49 PM »
Now stop and ask yourself something, in all seriousness... you have come to the competition's backyard and teased the dogs.  You are currently engaged in an argument because you wouldn't allow people here an opinion. Now you plan on abusing this service for more CRS proselytizing, and you really want us to believe you have good intentions?

One of us has to grow up and stop this. I withdraw the offer for the review. I haven't the right to ask for it here. If you post it here you do so on your own accord, I will not be party to it.

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #388 on: September 26, 2002, 11:41:32 PM »
Feel the force, young skywalker.

hardcsse

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #389 on: September 26, 2002, 11:43:14 PM »
Sweet jebus save me!

9 Pages... really... 9 damn pages!

Is this really worth it?

Hardcase, by now it's about 5people against, 2for... odds are, anyone who read this thread won't give WW2Ol a shot.

Just scramble back to your bug infested fox hole and enjoy your game.

And besides, no, I didn't read the box. Remember, free trial?.. what does it say on the box, "Actual features may differ from content on CD"? "Actual screenshots may differ from game material"? Either one... it still ain't wise for them to bring about legal action on those who accuse them of misleading consumers and lies... unless of course they purged their 1 1/2+ years of development postings..... have they? In any event, they'd be up toejam's creek without a paddle.
-SW