Author Topic: Attack of the Lizards  (Read 549 times)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Attack of the Lizards
« on: September 24, 2002, 10:47:56 AM »
Alligator Bites Off Arm of Fla. Man                                                              

Alligator Bites Off Arm of Florida Botanical Gardens Director, Doctors Can't Reattach It          

GAINESVILLE, Fla. Sept. 24 ? An 11-foot alligator tore the right arm off the director of a botanical garden as he was weeding a pond. Surgeons were unable to reattach it.                  

Don Goodman was working Monday in a water lily garden at the Kanapaha Botanical Gardens when the  alligator bit his right arm off from just below his elbow, said Justin Lagotic, spokesman for   Alachua County Fire Rescue.                                                                      

About an hour after the attack, wildlife officials harpooned the male alligator, known as Mo-Jo by garden employees, said John Duncan, an officer with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.                                                                                                                                                                                        

Authorities then shot the alligator and slit his stomach open, finding Goodman's arm inside.   Officials took the arm to Shands Hospital at the University of Florida but doctors could not reattach it, botanical garden spokeswoman Barbara Bennett said.                                  

Goodman was in fair condition Tuesday morning, hospital officials
said.                          

The gator probably attacked because it mistook Goodman's hand for another animal, said Gabe Duclos, a gardener at Kanapaha.                                                                  

This is the first alligator attack at the park, employees said.                                  

Goodman has been the director of the gardens since 1978. The 62-acre park is owned by Alachua County and maintained by the North Florida Botanical Society.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Re: Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2002, 10:54:07 AM »
Originally posted by gofaster
The gator probably attacked because it mistook Goodman's hand for another animal, said Gabe Duclos, a gardener at Kanapaha.

Jeesus, If was an alligator with a harpon aimed at me I would say the same thing.

"What??  That was an arm??  Ah man, are you sure?  I could have sworn it was a weazel.  I'm sorry man, let me buy you a beer."

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2002, 10:57:13 AM »
and I thought this was about an Assassin... sigh

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2002, 11:05:34 AM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
"What??  That was an arm??  Ah man, are you sure?  I could have sworn it was a weazel.  I'm sorry man, let me buy you a beer."

That is hilarious! :)

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2002, 11:33:23 AM »
It is? I'll bet Don Goodman isn't laughing.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2002, 11:37:13 AM »
I blame Castro. Last year he sent forth swarms of killer sharks, this year it's killer lizards. What a jerk

-Sikboy
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2002, 12:16:35 PM »
hmmm..what wine would you serve with arm?

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2002, 12:20:23 PM »
Originally posted by Elfenwolf

No, he's on the horn to his attorney about how much money he'll have for his retirement.

What really struck me about this story is that there's no mention of whether they kept alligators as part of the exhibit, or if the gator just happened to sneak in without being seen.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2002, 12:32:27 PM »
Elfenwolf: It is? I'll bet Don Goodman isn't laughing.
 He stuck his arm into the pond where an alligator named Mo-Jo lived. Was he competing for a Darwin Award?

miko

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2002, 12:37:53 PM »
Originally posted by Elfenwolf

Would it be funny if the alligator kept the arm in his garage for a few days? :D

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2002, 01:09:20 PM »
Alligators dont "mistake" their food like sharks and other predators.

If they see something moving and it smells of beef, they will attack it and dont care if its human or not.

I learned this on Discovery Channel :)

Offline CMC Airboss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2002, 01:31:57 PM »
Sounds like the Director needs a Mike's Hard Lemonade! :D

MiG

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2002, 01:34:23 PM »
An alligator is NOT a lizard.  I'm surprised some tight sphinctered science dudes haven't commented on that yet.:cool:
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2002, 01:40:58 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
An alligator is NOT a lizard.  I'm surprised some tight sphinctered science dudes haven't commented on that yet.:cool:

It's true.  An alligator, of the geneus Pnupoissonus, is (as the name implies) a type of air breathing fish.

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2002, 01:41:58 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster

No, he's on the horn to his attorney about how much money he'll have for his retirement.

Well, I hope he has a speaker phone cause there's no way he'll be able to hold the handset and dial at the same time. This is tragic.