Author Topic: Designing a sight  (Read 235 times)

RoadfRash

Designing a sight
« on: March 19, 2001, 11:33:00 PM »
I would like to know how to design a sight from the ground up using Paint Shop Pro 7.0,
dont have a lot of experience with the program and was hoping this might be a good starting point to explore the program and make sights, so is there a simple explanation or does it get way complicated?
Any Paint Shop users out that can give an Old Fart a hand?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Designing a sight
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2001, 11:43:00 PM »
Quicest way would be to open the default.bmp file, wipe out existing sight and go from there.
HiTech

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Designing a sight
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2001, 05:35:00 AM »
I use PSP 6 so I'll tell you what I can. Pick up the pink color using the eyedropper and wipe the sight out except for the center dot; you need that as a point of reference. Next draw in your sight using either the sea-sick green (HTML color code 33FF33) or a nice bright yellow. Both work prefectly well, but I find that yellow contrasts the best. Make sure your sight is centered before you save it.

As a tip, I prefer to blow up any gunsight to 128x128 in size before working on it. The larger area helps me pick out minor details that I may have missed.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta 6's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"With all due respect Chaplian, I don't think God wants to hear from me right now.
I'm gonna go out there and remove one of His creations from this universe.
And when I get back I'm gonna drink a bottle of Scotch like it was Chiggy von
Richthofen's blood and celebrate his death."
Col. McQueen, Space: Above and Beyond

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Designing a sight
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2001, 08:16:00 AM »
It's worth bearing in mind that if you're doing this, it's a chance to fine your site to allow for head repositioning.

I tend to sit a little high and forward, compared to the default position, so I had to lower the site somewhat.

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
Designing a sight
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2001, 09:10:00 AM »
One thing that wasn't mentioned is that the BMP is indexed in a specific way, so to save it, you really need to save the original sight. If you do your work in another file, to take advantage of layers, for example, you will need to use the colors noted by flakbait, the flatten the image, paste it into the default sight, and save that to retain the color information and have AH understand it.

RoadfRash

Designing a sight
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2001, 01:16:00 PM »
Thanks for the input!

Offline Higgins

• Zinc Member
Designing a sight
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2001, 02:15:00 PM »
Hey old man!  Your the reason I didn't make it back to base to have that beer with my 109 friend.  Your gunsight was working well enough to hit my oil pan.  Hehehe.  Hey had fun the other day flying against you and Hajo.  You guys are top notch.  Take care and let me know how the gun sight turns out.

Higgins_Mskt

RoadfRash

Designing a sight
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2001, 02:48:00 PM »
<S> Higgins <G> ya know somehow I thought you were gonna have more fun than we did, nice job!