Author Topic: Americans in Venice-Italy  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Americans in Venice-Italy
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2002, 10:57:22 AM »
Beautifull Beetle! :D
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2002, 11:13:12 AM »
Ya know it's funny, but I've never had the slightest desire to visit Europe. Hey, I could make comments generalizing the character of Euros coming over here and I bet I could do it funny, too, by using bad teeth jokes or bad haircut jokes or bad hygene jokes, but why slam an entire continent? Anyway it's amusing to see the most diverse of cultures- America- generalized to the common demenonator of John and Jane Doe.

Whatever, and even though I'll never waste my time visiting Europe when there's so much more to see in the Pacific Rim countries I'm pleased transportation is cheap and access is easy to travel throughout Europe today. Just remember when you're driving down a European highway that it's paved with the blood of American boys who died saving Europe from itself.

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2002, 11:38:03 AM »
Rude<---------------- shakin me jiffypop on the stove and uncorkin an ice cold Coca-Cola!

Here it comes!

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2002, 01:16:56 PM »
I'm mildly dissapointed Mickey. It's my home town and I've always been curious if there was an equivalent in the US. :)

How about Barnsley? Reckon you could search for that?

Elfenwolf - YAWN - is that really the best trawl you could manage? Put some effort in, for god's sake.

I'm pleased transportation is cheap and access is easy to travel throughout Europe today.

Clearly, you've never caught a train from someplace in England to anywhere else in England.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2002, 01:51:26 PM »
america is so damm big we jus plumb ran outa names fer towns , so we had to use the same names over an over, my town is named after some russian saint , i think.

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2002, 03:51:23 PM »
(reeling in pole, checking bait) Damn, not even a nibble...Maybe I should have used the term "Eurotrash." (recasting lure, opening a beer) Damn Eurofish are hard to catch...where's Hortlund when you need him?

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2002, 04:19:17 PM »
Originally posted by Elfenwolf
Anyway it's amusing to see the most diverse of cultures- America- generalized to the common demenonator of John and Jane Doe.

Oh I doubt the US is the most diverse.  You see here in Canada we actually celebrate our multi-culturalism.  :eek:
Instead of demanding that become more Canadian.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2002, 04:31:52 PM »
"""multi-culturalism""" yeah , you english speakers are "subjects of the crown" an the frenchies still are loyal to king louis

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2002, 04:39:29 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
"""multi-culturalism""" yeah , you english speakers are "subjects of the crown" an the frenchies still are loyal to king louis

I don't think I'm her subject.  I've yet to have to swear an oath of alligence to her.  A friend of mine just got a job a the government and he had to though.

The Queen is our head of state though.  And I'd take her over Bush any day of the weak.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2002, 04:50:39 PM »
But I like to travel to meet people from different cultures/backgrounds. Gives me a much broader outlook on the world in general, and on Britain specifically

hell if I want 'multi-cultural' I'll just go to work.

btw- how do you find the use of terms like London-england  or paris-france as proof that we are not well traveled?  if you got out more you'd realize that there are several londons, paris', ect.

Offline superpug1

• Probation
  • Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2002, 07:29:14 PM »
I am from Texas and from Louisiana i spent half my life in both and you know what, I went to Europe. I really liked it. In Texas it would have been 100F thats like upper 30s in celsius, but in Viana it was like 70 sumthin( in farenheit). We had fun. got a great rate with Austrian airlines. Talked to a guy from Turkey on the way over and a guy from Australia on the way back.
    We walked everywhere and road the rail. We got first class the first time then the normal one. On the way back from Breklav, Check Republic(I think thats how you spell it) we tried to get first class, but it was booked by a BRITISH tour group. So instead we spent 4 hours in the dining car and talked to the british people. They made good conversations.

The whole trip was because my dad was in active duty in Bosnia so we went to visit him because he got a 3 day pass to Buda-Pest or Pesht which ever. It was cool.

Oh and we dont all say y'all, gitty-up, and yehaw. And i talk "normal" in northern standards. As for louisiana there are some cajuns left in the swamps. and New Orleens is one of the only other places you can have a new york accent.

- superpug
<=====[---+ long live my sword.
:D

Offline Dowding (Work)

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2002, 04:06:38 AM »
John9001 - I disagree. Talking to someone who's grandfather or father happened to come from outside the US but has nonetheless lived in the US all their lives is not the same as visiting another country and experiencing their way of life. Perhaps you need to see a bit more of the world to understand this.

Secondly, I think you'd have to be pretty stupid to misunderstand the geographical context of the name of a capital city in a news report.

For instance, when the BBC talks about Washington, it doesn't mean Washington -  the little town in the North East of England. When the BBC talks about Moscow, it doesn't mean the village not too far from Liverpool. Those are real examples, by the way.

Perhaps it's simply the 'dumbing down' prevalent in US news stations?

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2002, 08:32:56 AM »
I guess it would matter if Americans cared what all the little pissant countries thought of us.
lazs

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2002, 08:40:26 AM »
Originally posted by Dowding (Work)

But I like to travel to meet people from different cultures/backgrounds. Gives me a much broader outlook on the world in general, and on Britain specifically. And the sudden feeling of familiarity as your plane touches down back in the UK is always a enjoyable part of the experience.

Americans don't do that as much because everyone comes HERE!  Unfortunately, most stay too! ;)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2002, 08:47:24 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
I guess it would matter if Americans cared what all the little pissant countries thought of us.
lazs

That is part of the problem that all other countries have with the US lazs...Americans like yourself don't care about what little "pissant" countries think...you're right.   But yet you expect us little pissants to care about you guys when you travel to our countries.  Why?  Becuase you are Americans?  But...you don't give a toejam about us!

It doesn't work both ways.  Its a small thing called mutual respect.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain