Author Topic: Americans in Venice-Italy  (Read 1147 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Americans in Venice-Italy
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2002, 09:11:00 AM »
curval... I have traveled to other countries and enjoyed myself.  I just don't give a toejam what the people think of Americans.   They all seem to love me as I am paying tho.   Believe me...  Americans may not be thinking to highly of the hygene and dental care of the people that are laughing at them.  

When in england I enjoyed myself but felt like I was in a medium sized theme park.  I was having fun but I was allways afraid I would break some theme park rule and be ejected.   It was good to get back home and spread out a little in the sun.  

If the American way of speaking english is so bastardized then how come all you limey's, ozzies etc. all sound American when you sing?   reminds me of mell tillus... the guy was a singer who couldn't even talk because of a horrible stutter but he could sing perfectly with no stutter.    Besides... for limeys..  it is a fine line between sounding sophisticated and..... effeminate.

And the "bud" thing... better you call people you don't know "buddy" than ..... "mate"   I take mating seriously.
lazs

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2002, 09:26:22 AM »
Fair enough lazs...but the ramifications of "not giving a toejam" are felt by all Americans, and some non Americans, when they travel abroad.  

For example...lazs doesn't give a toejam what some guy in England, who has bad teeth, thinks of him.  So lazs rants on and on about his personal hygene, his lack of dental care etc. and generally is obnoxious and rude.

Another American, who respects and admires the British happens across the same Brit a few days later.  The only difference is that the second American genuinely needs some help...directions or some such.  The Brit..having just had a very unpleasant experience with some puffed up over confident yank decides to send the second American on a wild goose chase.  The poor guy ends up in frigging Scotland instead of Dorset.

Congratulations...you just screwed a fellow American...not the Brit.

I went to Paris a few years ago for a month.  I hated every second (except for one weekend when my Swiss girlfriend came to see me).  Why?  Because the French thought I was an American and treated me with contempt everywhere I went.

Were you in Paris just before I got there?;)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Dowding (Work)

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2002, 09:31:33 AM »
About the singing with an accent thing - some studies have been done on it. I think they concluded that it was a physiological thing, something quite set apart from nationality. I'll have to look it up.

But then I've heard bands that sing in a Welsh accent, Irish accent, Yorkshire accent, cockney accent, Mancunian accent...

Yank English is a bastardized form of the Queen's Own. Like any dialect, I suppose.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
We stink ?
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2002, 09:47:28 AM »
Someone needs explain me the Hygene thing, I look around me and it looks clean to me(ok, not MY flat, but other poeple's :D). Anyway... I can see granma's cleaning their windows everyday.
Central Africa, I can understand, but Yurop ?:confused:
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2002, 10:01:41 AM »
Originally posted by Curval

For example...lazs doesn't give a toejam what some guy in England, who has bad teeth, thinks of him.  So lazs rants on and on about his personal hygene, his lack of dental care etc. and generally is obnoxious and rude.

Another American, who respects and admires the British happens across the same Brit a few days later.  The only difference is that the second American genuinely needs some help...directions or some such.  The Brit..having just had a very unpleasant experience with some puffed up over confident yank decides to send the second American on a wild goose chase.  The poor guy ends up in frigging Scotland instead of Dorset.

Congratulations...you just screwed a fellow American...not the Brit.

I went to Paris a few years ago for a month.  I hated every second (except for one weekend when my Swiss girlfriend came to see me).  Why?  Because the French thought I was an American and treated me with contempt everywhere I went.

Were you in Paris just before I got there?;)

I just read that the Brits were voted the most rude ... It was probably a French poll :)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Re: We stink ?
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2002, 10:03:11 AM »
Originally posted by Saintaw
Someone needs explain me the Hygene thing, I look around me and it looks clean to me(ok, not MY flat, but other poeple's :D). Anyway... I can see granma's cleaning their windows everyday.
Central Africa, I can understand, but Yurop ?:confused:

Saintaw...it is a common misconception that Europeans stink.  One of our wonderful ministers here was quoted as saying European women "improve" themselves when they come and work in Bermuda..particularly in the area of personal hygene.

It is garbage....just ignore it.  I do.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2002, 10:39:40 AM »
I like to travel abroad every chance I get ;)  I even purchased a place in Rio last year.

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2002, 10:41:56 AM »
Originally posted by rogwar
I like to travel abroad every chance I get ;)  I even purchased a place in Rio last year.  

Liar !!! thats not bedford Texas :D

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2002, 11:03:09 AM »
I don't mind Curval, I just wondered where that came from.
I also have witnessed French women with shaved armpits, but I'll keep the phone nrs to myself :D
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2002, 11:07:42 AM »
Originally posted by rogwar

you should wash your windows atleast once per year :D

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2002, 11:31:33 AM »
Originally posted by Krusher

Liar !!! thats not bedford Texas :D

hell I guess I should learn to read :)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
especially for Mickey1992
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2002, 12:15:43 PM »
;)

Offline hawk220

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2002, 01:50:18 PM »
Curval, I'm American, and I've been to Paris many times. I've found the French, even in Paris to be warm and hospitable people. So much more friendly than the East coast of the US. I never had problem getting directions or assistance. I butchered the French language, but they knew I was trying and that went a long way.

Lazs.. of course you felt unconfortable in England. You were out of your element.. They haven't quite gotten the hang of putting broken down muscle cars on blocks in their yards or the whole trailer park thing..give them time, the world is becoming a smaller place day by day.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2002, 02:30:16 PM »
Originally posted by Saintaw
I also have witnessed French women with shaved armpits, but I'll keep the phone nrs to yself :D

hmmm... are you homosexual saw  :p ?

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2002, 02:42:13 PM »
hawk... point is... you can't.   You can't do a lot of things.    Even if you can... it is taxed.  

curval... I think you missunderstood...  I don't give a toejam what they think of me.   That doesn't mean that I treat them badly.   I have allways gotten along with people as individuals and had no problem abroad.   When europeans start enumerating Americans flaws and making fun of elderly vacationers...  Well then  ... I just don't give a toejam what they think.  I do find it odd that people with so many strange habits have anything to say about Americans tho.

A fellow flight sim guy took me to a bar in a seedy part of london that was supposedly risky..  I felt about in as much danger as I would at a church bingo nite...  I mean,  hard to get too serious about  black guys who sounded like alec guiness.

oh dowding.... in that study... did they ever explain why you guys try to sound like Americans when you sing?
lazs