Author Topic: Attack of the Lizards  (Read 544 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Some additional info from another story about it
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2002, 09:27:11 AM »
Originally posted by gofaster
He was weeding a lily pond on Monday, standing in about 4 feet of water, when he apparently stepped on the 392-pound male alligator, Capt. Roy Brown of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said.

"He did recall that the alligator obviously grabbed his arm, there was a twisting type action," the doctor said.

The alligator was a wild alligator that lived at a nearby pond and occasionally wandered into the lily pond at the botanical garden, where workers called it Mo-Jo.

Goodman told wildlife officials he did not see the alligator until it attacked.

They said the alligator might have mistaken Goodman's splashing the pond for that of a duck or wading bird, their natural prey. Because it was used to being around people, it had probably lost its natural fear of humans, Brown said.

And they shot MOJO why????

Did the handsomehunk Mr Goodman "forget" there was a 400 lb gator swimming in the "pond" on occasion?

what a waste ....

bet the next  pond weed puller stays in a jon boat and uses a rake
« Last Edit: September 25, 2002, 09:29:47 AM by Eagler »
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2002, 09:36:59 AM »
They shot Mojo because he was an agressive Republican gator. Had he been a docile Democrat gator he'd never had bitten Don Goodman's arm off in the first place.

Offline H. Godwineson

• Nickel Member
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2002, 09:57:45 AM »
Eagler,

Don't worry about it.  There are plenty more gators where Mo-Jo came from.  Besides, Goodman had just as much right to be in the pond as the gator did.

Wonder if anybody grilled the steaks on Mo-Jo's tail?

Shuckins

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2002, 10:16:11 AM »
Originally posted by H. Godwineson
Eagler,

Don't worry about it.  There are plenty more gators where Mo-Jo came from.  Besides, Goodman had just as much right to be in the pond as the gator did.

Wonder if anybody grilled the steaks on Mo-Jo's tail?

Shuckins

Obviously, he had more right than MOJO - they didn't shoot him

just think it was a dumb move on Goodman's part and an over reaction by the Wildlife "managers"

did they think they were gonna reattach it? shoot and gut him to "prove a point" or revenge?

now we have a one arm pond weeder AND a big dead gator that bubba the gator hunter can add to his resume :rolleyes:

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline H. Godwineson

• Nickel Member
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2002, 10:26:22 AM »
Eagler,

Don't you get it.  The gator attacked a man.  If he did it once, he might do it again.  They had to kill it, not only to protect other lives, but to retrieve Goodman's arm so that it might be reattached.  Time was of the essence.  They couldn't wait for the gator to "pass it."

By the way, are you a native of Florida or did you move there from another state?

Regards, Shuckins

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2002, 10:42:28 AM »
What they should have done with Mojo was paint a big USA on his side and drop him in Baghdad. I guarantee one alligator walking down the street will do more to demoralize the Iraquis than a dozen Tomahawk missiles ever would.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2002, 01:20:26 PM »
Originally posted by H. Godwineson
Eagler,

Don't you get it.  The gator attacked a man.  If he did it once, he might do it again.  They had to kill it, not only to protect other lives, but to retrieve Goodman's arm so that it might be reattached.  Time was of the essence.  They couldn't wait for the gator to "pass it."

By the way, are you a native of Florida or did you move there from another state?

Regards, Shuckins

Born here 59 moved out in 63

moved all over the place including overseas - have been back in FL since 74

I don't think that gator would have bit anyone then or again unless the rocket scientist was splashing the water 3 ft over its head

I would think the shape of the stump would have indicated a reattachment was out of the question, can only imagine what a 400lb gator did to it after his spin move. THe weed pullover was lucky he hit his arm and not his torso

and yes, it was the splashing which cause the attack and aimed it at his arm and not his midsection, ever seen a large gator attack something up close and personal - other than Discovery CH?

I don't swim or wade in bodies of water that contain, have been known to contain 400lb gators, I suggest others don't either

Offline H. Godwineson

• Nickel Member
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2002, 02:14:41 PM »
Just between us, I'd like to be able to go to the old swimming hole with my dog without having to worry about the possibility of becoming a gator's dinner.  

They may not have the man-eater reputation of crocs, but I have read articles by wildlife management experts that state that, as gators become more familiar with humans, they will lose their fear of them, and attacks will become more frequent.  Much the same thing is happening in California with the increasing number of mountain lions which are losing their fear of humans.  A number of people have been attack and killed by them.

Regards, Shuckins

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2002, 02:25:43 PM »
Just between us, I'd like to be able to go to the old swimming hole with my dog without having to worry about the possibility of becoming a gator's dinner.

yep, they are called swimming pools in FL :)  

I'd like to go swimming/fishing in the Atlanitc/Gulf without having to worry about shark attacks but I can't do that either here

I'd like to go into the woods and underbrush without having to worry about rattlers

I'd like to win the lottery ..

They may not have the man-eater reputation of crocs, but I have read articles by wildlife management experts that state that, as gators become more familiar with humans, they will lose their fear of them, and attacks will become more frequent.  Much the same thing is happening in California with the increasing number of mountain lions which are losing their fear of humans.  A number of people have been attack and killed by them.

dunno about mountain lions but the FL gators are being fed by ppl thus associating ppl with food

They are animals with pea brains, we are suppose to be smarter than them .... suppose to be.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2002, 02:57:16 PM »
When did Eagler join PETA?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Attack of the Lizards
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2002, 03:07:25 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
When did Eagler join PETA?

it's a conservative branch :)