Author Topic: CT is no EZmode  (Read 420 times)

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
CT is no EZmode
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2000, 02:18:00 PM »
easymo...

Hope your enjoying ACA and eazymode  

You really seem to enjoy it.

Dog out...

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
CT is no EZmode
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2000, 02:30:00 PM »
 WD. I dont play the ACA. The easymode gunnery is more than I can take.

If this is an attempt to embarrass me. let me point out who I was fighting there.
 torque
 hblair
 kieren
  and I could name others. but this should make the point.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
CT is no EZmode
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2000, 02:35:00 PM »
Has anyone considered te possibility that this *combat trim* could be revolutionary?

That the padlock feature,as programed, could expand the experience rather than deflate it?

Just curious....

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
CT is no EZmode
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2000, 02:41:00 PM »
But....but....it's DIFFERENT!!!!

When yer an olde fart, you'll understand.  

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

funked

CT is no EZmode
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2000, 04:54:00 PM »
I've always thought that the trim changes required in these games were excessive.  I've never flown any of these planes - this is just from reading a lot of test pilot and combat pilot accounts.

And trim changes will still be required, they will just be smaller in most situations.

Remember this is not a true auto-trim - it is not a closed loop control which compensates for different conditions.  It looks like the CT will have a trim setting for each airspeed.  If you deviate from the altitude or power setting or weight or attitude that the trim setting was designed for, you will have to trim the plane manually.

We may lose some tiny bit of "realism" but we are also eliminating the ridiculous situation where use of trim tabs can increase or decrease the maximum control surface deflection at low speeds.

So I wouldn't get my panties all bunched up just yet.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
CT is no EZmode
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2000, 06:57:00 AM »
My panties ain't bunched.. my bellybutton is too wide fer that to happen.

It's like Popeye said.. it's diffrent; therefore, suspect.  

Lookin forward to trying it out.. hell, if it makes flyin easier, mebbe the other guy will fall asleep while I'm settin up a shot.  

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
CT is no EZmode
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2000, 11:15:00 AM »
 I would never have guessed, so many of you guys wear panties

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
CT is no EZmode
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2000, 11:58:00 AM »
Jeeeze- maybe I fly trim-heavy aircraft, but I found that to ride my aircraft to the edge and back, I need to trim constantly.

Trim WILL affect performance of the plane.  It can increase your top speed by as much as 30-50 mph!

When you are not trimmed out, you have to hold the stick (and therefore control surface) in such a position that it counter-acts the force, else you will roll, slide, dive, et al, thus throwing more drag upon your aircraft then is neccessary.  

A proerly trimmed aircraft in the arena will ALWAYS have the advantage.  No matter what.  CT sounds like it finds this balance, thus reducing pilot-load which may and well be good for the new guys.  

CT is a BIG issue.  Look at what EZ mode did to warbirds.  Once they turned it off in the main, HALF the arena went over to ACA.  

Another issue to be brought up is EZ modes and how they can skew pilot accounts of fighter performance.  A guy flying real mode saw a plane doing unreal stunts because EZ mode let them.  He therefore makes a post on AGW about it, and an investigation ensues.  This starts the pendelum effect.  

The more accounts, the more drastic the change which seems to be needed.  Thus, you aren't correcting the REAL flight model, you are correcting the EZ mode, and thus neutering the real flight model, and driving everybody insane.

HTC, I implore you.  Do not mix CT with non-CT.  It WILL ruin your sim, and leave you with a huge batch of F'ed up flight models that need to be fixed.  Proof can be found across the street.

Instead, make a "newcomers" arena of sorts.  Have a trainer in there on a shift to help 'em, whatever, but PLEASE do not throw this into the Main.  You WILL regret it, and once the damage is done, it's VERY hard to reverse.  

My $.02

------------------
-Rebel
JG2 "Richtofen"
"You Rebel Scum"
"You rebel scum"

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
CT is no EZmode
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2000, 12:18:00 PM »
Rebel;

Just out of curiousity.  Do you use AutoTrim at all?

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

"hehehe...I like this thread squealing Bastids!"
SOB

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
CT is no EZmode
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2000, 12:21:00 PM »
Mino-

Only on big long climbouts and to keep the plane level while I'm AFK.

Auto-trim is completely diffrent.  A plane going level on autotrim WILL achieve it's max speed without difficulty, but when you pull the nose up even 5 degrees, the dynamics change, and therefore corrections to your control surfaces must be made.

Auto-trim is for going straight.  

Combat-trim is for fighting.  

One makes you a big target while you're on the can, the other makes you the bane of everybody else's existence.

------------------
-Rebel
JG2 "Richtofen"
"You Rebel Scum"
"You rebel scum"