Author Topic: A plea for new maps  (Read 283 times)

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
A plea for new maps
« on: December 26, 2001, 12:46:00 PM »
Ok,this is a plea for new maps!!! Im sick to death of these ones (I know a lot of you are too so speak up!) How about some real terrain maps? like Europe (I know we have the Norway map) Med map,or a Pacific based map with towns that have real names instead of silly bloody numbers,and while Im at it,fix the in game map before I start getting headaches trying to make out field numbers,the legend button is great as is the base alt help.
 Id just like to see a bit more realism with the maps,Im sick of made up maps based on nuthin,with big mountains all ofer the place.
 For instance a Europe map could have all the countries with borders etc.but Nits/Rooks and Bish could be placed far away from eachother,they could at the start of each 'war' get as much ground as possible before the 'countries' collide and the war proper starts,this way perks could be built up before the main scrap starts.Just an idea hehe.
But Im real pissed off with the current maps! If we are going to be stuck with a map for a long period why not make it as interesting as possible?,real maps,town names,trees that dont kill GVs(so we can have a proper ground war)oh,and a strat system that really works hehehe depots that dont go 100% after you dropped your last bomb on it  :(
Anyone else? (Rant over)
Joc

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
A plea for new maps
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2001, 12:55:00 PM »
I can't say I agree with everything you are saying.  We're playing a game, in an arena, where P51's are fighting P51s, etc etc.  So, if you want your fill of realism, the CT has plenty of room.

HOWEVER...

These same 4 maps are very very old.  Sure, we all have a favorite but we really need some new ones.  Mindanao offers very little for the GVs.  NDIsles is a bit better but we seem to get "stuck" on that map nearly as long as Mindano.  NDIsles seems to have no shore batteries either   :(

So, in spirit, I agree with you...new maps, please.  If given the option of AcesHigh Voice or Maps, I think Maps would win that vote   :)  Give us back the old map/field icons too.  Those stupid yellow dots are annoying as hell

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
A plea for new maps
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2001, 01:16:00 PM »
Yeah,just checked out the Combat arena,looks good,dunno why the hell no-one flies in there? kinda reminds me of the Axis vs Allies arena,good arena but everyone was used to the arena they were in so no-one went in there,maybe its time some squads committed themselves to it to coax others into it?,I guess we're the only ones who can make it work.
Im so sick of the other main 'furball' arena.
Joc

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
A plea for new maps
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2001, 01:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Joc:
kinda reminds me of the Axis vs Allies arena

That's EXACTLY why no one flies in there. Well with the exception of a handful of people.

People left WB to come here because of the Allies vs Axis arena.

TOD and scenarios are the best Allied vs Axis, everything else is just a joke.
-SW

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
A plea for new maps
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2001, 02:14:00 PM »
JOC is drunk again!   :rolleyes:

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
A plea for new maps
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2001, 02:19:00 PM »
The joke arena had almost 50 people in it this weekend. Not much compared to the MA, but it's a start. It's gone empty a couple of times since, which is of curse, dissapointing. It may or may not fail, that remains to be seen. I'm doing my best to try to keep it afloat for people who like that sort of thing.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
A plea for new maps
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2001, 02:22:00 PM »
Hblair, I'm not insulting your efforts.

However, when people go around "the MA is nothing but a furball arena" "the MA is so arcadish- it's for the insta-action dweebs", etc. You've seen them, I really shouldn't have to list them- well to put it bluntly- the only thing that seprates the MA from the CT is less people, a restricted plane set, no teamwork(in my case- no squaddies), no base captures (when I was there) and well... nothing that would make it this "hyper-realism arena".

Your efforts in creating a CT, though, are appreciated by even me- although I don't fly it, occasionally I poke my head in.

Now, if you guys set it up with an Eastern front setup- that's a whole other story.
-SW

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
A plea for new maps
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2001, 02:23:00 PM »
But it's not in our best interest for us CT goers to slam the MA. This rightfully offends other players. MA goers are just as (actually more so, looking at the numbers) entitled to their style of gameplay as the CT goers are. Lets try to get along without insulting each other, it just creates problems we don't want.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
A plea for new maps
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2001, 02:24:00 PM »
posted at the same time SW.  :)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
A plea for new maps
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2001, 02:27:00 PM »
Heh, I guess we both were thinking the same thing!   :)

I really do like the CT setup, when the newness wears off- I'm sure that more people will get organized and use the mission builder and stuff to create a more appropriate atmosphere (less furballing, more actual battles).

Good luck to you guys, I hope you get more people interested in the CT!
-SW

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
A plea for new maps
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2001, 02:39:00 PM »
Well I like both arenas and I agree that the maps need to be changed in the MA. Preferably to something that has not existed in the MA before now.

However you run into the same old argument for and against the Combat Theater. Which is the response that SW gave:

That's EXACTLY why no one flies in there. Well with the exception of a handful of people.

People left WB to come here because of the Allies vs Axis arena.

TOD and scenarios are the best Allied vs Axis, everything else is just a joke.
-SW

I don't care why people left WB but being one of them don't think the majority of the people left becausem of an arena. I think it was because of a better product (AH) at a lower price and the thoughts that the product (AH)would be getting better with time. Which is exactly what happened.

Just my thought on that and I went to far off the topic of the thread. SO with that said LET'S GET SOME NEW MAPS NOT SEEN BEFORE IN THE MAIN!   :D

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: Reschke ]
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Broes

• Copper Member
A plea for new maps
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2001, 02:43:00 PM »

Like this? Still needs ALOT of work though

Broes

Offline Tuck

• Copper Member
      • http://hometown.aol.com/tuck0006/
A plea for new maps
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2001, 03:57:00 PM »
you're starting to sound like me, joc.  i've been squeaking about this for months.  

and by the way...I STILL WANNA DESERT MAP!    :D   :rolleyes:   :p

The Tuckster

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down."
Col. Chuck Yeager, USAAF

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
A plea for new maps
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2001, 04:26:00 PM »
Hmmmm,..Joc,..did Santa steal yer sheep?  Did ya get a lump of coal in yer stocking instead of warm wool?  Did ya have lamb chops fer Christmas dinner instead of turkey?  Did some sheep just dump on ewe?
 :D

Couldn't resist.

Hope ya had a happy holidays.  Maybe it aint the maps thats rubbin ya the wrong way?  I really never care about what's underneath me (well,..sometimes I do  :D), I am concerned about what is on me 6, or getting ready to fill me BBQ pit with lead.
I do admint some maps are more fun than others.  But heck,..I wouldn't know a real terrain from a veggie plate.
But variety is sometimes a good thing.  We could use another map, like beta, but bigger.  Nuthin like a good canyon fight to keep ya on yer toes.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
A plea for new maps
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2001, 05:10:00 PM »
SKUZZZZZZZZZYYYYYYYY!!! lol yer alive m8y! heheh hope ya had a nice Xmas,Im not squeakin about the MA or guys that like it,we need more variety,I mean DO we need a maps with CVs in them EVERY time for example?,ok,I understand not everyone likes historical plane sets,but it WOULD be nice to have a set of maps like for example a Russian front map,lots of snow/cloud etc,or a desert map based on North Africa,instead of a historical rolling plane set,we could have a rolling historical MAP set featuring a different period of WW2 this might satisfy both historical and non-historical fans.1940 could be naturally the Blitzkrieg/Battle of Britain,1941,Pearl Harbour/Pacific map etc etc.These fictional made up maps just leave me cold  :)
 On the subject of Airfield numbers/towns,the map IS too cluttered with both,a feature to turn off either airfirld or strat numbers would be nice,and relieve eye strain <G> I still would prefer historical names for towns if the above map idea ever came about.
Joc