Author Topic: '..don't hate me becuase i'm beautiful...'  (Read 488 times)

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Grun
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2002, 01:13:25 PM »
What is it doing? Is it sitting on it's tail?

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
'..don't hate me becuase i'm beautiful...'
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2002, 01:15:24 PM »
I'm hovering it and it's spinning due to the prop  torque. Its called a torque roll.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2002, 01:20:22 PM »
ooh ahh well i never...saw someone gloat over something so silly as a model airplane there making.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2002, 02:33:55 PM »
"gloat, gloat, grin, grin..."  Yah, I'm gloating. I enjoy the 'ooohs' and 'ahhhhs' almost as much as building and flying. Nah, thats a lie... I like it MORE than building and flying 'em. Thanks fer the kind words gents... I've been walkin around with a sheiss eatin grin all day... yah see, there's there's a lil 1/5th scale 109 pilot I'm lookin for this weekend.... :D

Gator.. a computer based R/C flight sim is great way to get past the big killer of low time model pilots... control reversal.

As Grun pointed out, they ain't exactly high fidelity with regards to actual flight accuracy, but they sure can get you the 'stick' time you need to become familiar with the visual connection you must have with the model with regards to crucial spatial orientation. With the cost of a basic .40 size trainer setup, a r/c flight sim might be a real good FIRST investment.

Grun.. I agree.. flight simulators can suck. I tried that real flight sim 'G2' version down at the hobby shop and augered 9 times outta 10 on the approach. Meanwhile, down at the flying field in real life, I ain't got no problems gettin my birds greased on real pretty like every damn time. I was considering buying the sim, but decided I like the original method.

Deja.. LMAO! "I flew these back in the REAL war... wern't no police action, no damn undeclared presidential popsicle fart.. no, sir, we were flyin fer god an country, stampin evil offa da face of the earth.." No toejam.. I heard some old fart goin on like this for 45 min while he got his P47 ready to fly. Then he turned it into confetti. We all saluted, and the locals all muttered.. "good, he's outta here for another two years" hehehhe.,. all kinds in the world..

;)

Can't wait ta get home and start the run-ups. ;)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2002, 02:42:47 PM »
Originally posted by Kieran
What's the wingloading on that now? Adding 5lbs to the spec weight sure raised my eyebrow... this isn't going to be a "floater", especially given it was an ARF to begin with (usually heavier than scratch kits). Better keep that baby close to the field in case the engine dies. ;)

32 oz to the sq in. Nope.. it ain't a floater; it's a frakin warbird. :D Yer 100% correct tho.. I'll need to be very careful with it in every flight evolution... stalls will be abrupt and harsh, landing speeds even with flaps will be very high. Glide characteristics will be similar to those of a brick. I'm using the most dependable gas engine available for this kinda application, a Zenoah gas 2 cycle w/ Ignition support. Once it starts, it don't quit till it's outta gas or impacted with the ground.

Pretty much what I wanted. ;)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2002, 04:20:22 PM »
Nice , very very nice .
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2002, 06:25:25 PM »
Hang,that's beautiful,just one tip,when you fly her,remember to keep breathing :)
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline senna

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2002, 08:02:16 PM »
RC planes are fun, its the landing part thats hard. Taking off is not too difficult. I've flown a few RCs before, not mine of course but was fun. Didnt have to land her but watched a few others lawn dart theirs into roofs of peoples homes. Always makes a big hole in someones roof, LOL.

:D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2002, 08:28:23 PM by senna »

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2002, 08:18:28 PM »
Flying R/C can be easy or hard, depending on what you model.

I've flown numerous .40-.60 scale kits. Some were popsiclecats, some were squeakes. It mostly was a matter of wingloading and powerloading.

Most planes are easy to land, but you have to respect the envelope. In some ways, heavier planes are easier to land. The approach is going to be steadier, and these planes are not as susceptible to crosswinds or gusts. Once down they stay down. The trick is to know the glide path and stay on it. Light planes float in, sometimes refusing to drop (once in ground effect). Bring a glider in for a landing on a short field surrounded by fence if you want to feel your sphincter pucker- you only get one shot, and it has to be right! Yet, those things can go forever in ground effect.

I think you have hit it right though, Hang. Make those loops huge! Avoid spins, make sure your CG is a bit forward, and handle that elevator smoothly. The other thing I thought of when you mentioned the weight was the strength of your spar, and what a sudden tug on the stick could do to your planform view. ;)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2002, 08:20:26 PM »
BTW, where's the pilot? I have a 5th scale pilot sitting right here on my shelf with no home...

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2002, 08:23:55 PM »
Grun-

I had a plane made from plans once, a fun-fly type called "the Hooker". Swept wing, constant chord, light (maybe four pounds) with a Saito .60 4-stroke. I could hold it out just like the 51 in the picture, crank up the engine, and let it go. Yes, it could and would stand on its tail like that, and it could climb out of sight vertically, too.

Lost it on an inverted pass one day when I was hot dogging. Brain fart! That was without a doubt the best all-around flying plane I ever had.

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2002, 11:22:45 PM »
Originally posted by Kieran
BTW, where's the pilot? I have a 5th scale pilot sitting right here on my shelf with no home...

He's using a kitten for a pilot.

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2002, 12:35:46 AM »
Originally posted by Elfenwolf

He's using a kitten for a pilot.

Damn lucky kitty they get to have all the fun!
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2002, 12:40:04 AM »
Kieran I know RC planes can hover and TR. I even torque rolled my 40 trainer last year. But a big scale P51 is a bit too heavy plus the control surfaces and deflections arent big enough - which is the real problem. In realflight it hovers and TRs as well as a their big Extras and Sukhois...