Author Topic: Alternative to perk? - Let the good times roll!  (Read 268 times)

Offline GrinBird

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.aasvk.dk
Alternative to perk? - Let the good times roll!
« on: September 06, 2000, 03:20:00 PM »
Hmm what was the intention with the perk system as HTC described it? I think it was a solution to make early and latewar planes coexist in the main Arena and motivate ppl to fly the early war planes. If thats the main purpose with it, I think there would be a more elegant solution...

We allready have tours, I am not fully aware how long they are now, but lets imagine that they are 60 days long. If we say that WW2 was 6 years long it would give 10 days pr. year. So the first 10 days of the tour was 1939.. the next 10 days 1940 etc. A calendar in the clipboard will tell you the current time when you log on.

This solution would make it possible to see the early war planes and actually have a chance to use their strong sides. This way we would see Hurricanes, Beaufighters and SpitMK1A against Me110, Me109E4. During the tour the planes will be evolved and new types will come in.

I am fully aware that this solution would be against a lot of players wishes, because it will mean that a P51-freak will only be able to fly the beauty the last 10 days of the tour. It could also be solved by giving the players some of the early P51s to fly with.

The good thing with the idea, is that there would be a refreshing variation in the arenagameplay. This time-roll idea  requires that a lot of planes are added, and it would also in other ways require some work. But.. I think the idea is more elegant and fertile than the perkproject because it gives a lot of new experiences in the gameplay. Also it is restrictions that fits elegantly into the gameplay instead of perk-project which is  restrictions from outside the gameplay.

I am afraid that the perk-project will turn out to be a lot of work in programming and designing, and it would not give any additions to gameplay instead of restrictions. Plz consider the timeroll idea instead.

------------------
GrinBird

[This message has been edited by GrinBird (edited 09-06-2000).]

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2000, 03:37:00 PM »
Great idea! No more early war vs late war if that idea is implemented.

I like it!

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2000, 03:48:00 PM »
Sounds like a weiner to me  

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
Luftjäger I-13
Luftjägerkorps

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2000, 03:58:00 PM »
Run Grinbird!! You have released an RPS thread!

<Dives into foxhole>

INCOMING!

Offline GrinBird

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2000, 04:19:00 PM »
Dang
You guys are pushing both my english and my Net-slang capabilities.. What is a "Weiner" and what is a "RPS-Thread"???

------------------
GrinBird

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2000, 04:40:00 PM »
RPS= rolling plane set.

The source of many a squeakfests on AGW, the unofficial bulletin board of warbirds. I think most of the people over there hang out in the WWII Arena now though. So maybe they wont flame you too bad.  

Just kidding with ya anyway bud.  

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2000, 04:56:00 PM »
The only problem I see with it you allready mentioned.  A rolling planeset would seem to work better with the WB per hour payment plan.  That way if you only wanted to fly late war planes you could just wait till they rolled out and take 'em up.  But if you're paying $30 a month and have no interest in flying a Brewster Buffalo or whatnot that's money down the drain.  Personally I'd like to see a way to get the early war planes into circulation as me of all people would love the chance to fly the 109E  .
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2000, 04:57:00 PM »
weiner = any kind of meat, ground up with lips, prettythangholes, & rat turds, then shoved into a tube-like casing.  Boiled, fryed, or grilled, shoved into a bun and served with beer and any of a number of condiments  
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Rock

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2000, 05:02:00 PM »
weiner 2. The primary device used when playing "Hide the Salami".

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2000, 05:11:00 PM »

Originally posted by SOB:
weiner = any kind of meat, ground up with lips, prettythangholes, & rat turds, then shoved into a tube-like casing.  Boiled, fryed, or grilled, shoved into a bun and served with beer and any of a number of condiments  
mmmmmmmmmm
Heaven....

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2000, 05:13:00 PM »
Did I say weiner?   Sorry....sounds like a WINNER to me   Although I agree, 10 days for each plane set might be too long. That would only let people have their favorite ride for 10 days out of 2 months. Still think it's a good idea if it was done right.

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
Luftjäger I-13
Luftjägerkorps

Offline Exile

• Gold Member
      • http://www.simladder.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2000, 06:31:00 PM »

Originally posted by SOB:

Thanks man ... was wondering what to fix for dinner. yumm yumm yumm  

arhurb

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2000, 02:14:00 AM »
Maybe It's a silly Idea, but I'll let it go anyways:

I like RPS in the sense it gaves somewhat historical perspective to the game. People would be able to experience the change in fighting tactics along with changing planes.

On the other hand, I understand that under flat rate, some people want to fly watever they desire in each given moment.

What if, instead of 10 days per year (I would rather like 1 day per month) early years would last much less than last years (i.e., 1939=1day, 1940=2 days, 1941=3 days 1942=5 days, 1943=5 days, 1944=10days, 1945=4/5days)?

This way, most of the time we would be able to fly the majority of planes, and have some time for an early war dogfite time. Maybe even perking planes wouln't be needed, being all late war models and thus, available only  for a little time each TOD.

I know that RPS is hitting a dead horse, and, ultimately, HT choice (and I'm 100% confident & satisfied with HT's way of setting this sim, both in actions and timing).

Oh well...

Pepino.

Offline GrinBird

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2000, 01:08:00 AM »
hmmm now the question is ...
Is it possible to make weiners out of a dead horse?
.. Seems like I am about to make myself a reputation as the man, who is pulling dead horses out on the racetrack again  
hmm rolling planeset, realistic bombing, I havent mentioned a setup with german and Japanese planes versus allied planes in a close to historic map yet .. because I allready know what the answer would be.. something like: " That is for special events or a historical arena Jerk!!!- That one is a dead horse!"
What I dont know- honestly! - Is why it is like that? I would appreciate if someone would explain it to me sometime. I have my sim background in retail sims like EAW, PAW CFS and FS-SDOE and there the gameplay is modelled pretty close to history, and I have never understood why arenasims like WB and AH arent like that.. I am aware there must be a reason though.