Author Topic: b17 gunner feedback  (Read 129 times)

Offline skibum

• Zinc Member
b17 gunner feedback
« on: October 02, 2002, 11:44:14 PM »
Friend of mine was a b17 gunner in the tail position with the 303rd BG, The Hells Angels. He flew 38 missions over France & Germany in 1943-1944 and was shot by a 109, hospitalized and returned to fly 20 something (he's 80 now and that was a long time ago to remember exactly) more missions, he flew alot of fill in gun positions on other missions because some planes would lose  a crewman or two on a mission and they would ask the non scheduled guys for fill in (he always excitedly states "I NEVER volunteered !I wasn't crazy!") , understandable since he had gone thru times when the casualty rate was 50%!  But when they would ask him he NEVER said no.

He's told me  about his combat experiences with attacking German fighters and he makes it plain that they would open fire on the fighters as soon as they saw them and it didnt matter how far away they were I ask about estimates on distance and he said he had no idea, that the fighters look so small anyways that they would open fire for  intimidation  and that the fighters would come in on you so fast that the rule was pretty much early on that you would be shot down or killed if the fighter got in close enough to fire his own guns, he said that the most effective attack that he would see the fighters make was the head-on since  its easier to kill 2 pilots than to take out the engines I guess and later on the high speed very low 6 attack on th ball and tail gunner since once they were dead the fighter could just ease in on the b17s six and take carefull deliberate aim and blast away.  He says that later on when the b17 gunners  got the compensating  gunsight things got better.

He flew missions over places like Bremen, so you can imagine what he's seen.

You can see him at the 303rd BG website
http://www.303rdbga.com/   ile he crewed in a b17G 'Shoo Shoo Baby' at the time of this picture, he's front row far left, he's going to the 303rd reunion soon and will staighten out the "computer guys" about "who's who in that picture"(he's Noah).

« Last Edit: October 02, 2002, 11:53:59 PM by skibum »

Offline spiegel

• Copper Member
b17 gunner feedback
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2002, 01:22:20 AM »
Hey thats really cool..  I know some one who was a B17 bombidear ..  he was in the 398th bomb group during 1944 - 1945..32 mission...  Its really cool talking to the people who were there...

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
b17 gunner feedback
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2002, 02:20:53 AM »
Interestingly enough, 'Shoo Shoo Baby' is on display at the USAF Museum...  Is this the same plane?

--Edit--
It's not, never mind.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2002, 02:25:13 AM by Innominate »

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
Re: b17 gunner feedback
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2002, 06:03:39 AM »
Originally posted by skibum

He flew missions over places like Bremen, so you can imagine what he's seen.

but they all missed our railway station

:cool: :D :cool:
Freeze

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
b17 gunner feedback
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2002, 07:24:08 AM »
Hey Freeze thats an old one. U better post a newer of our beautifull railway station.

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
b17 gunner feedback
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2002, 09:59:16 AM »
Ours is a quite nasty place :(
in Hamburg that is.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
b17 gunner feedback
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2002, 10:59:32 AM »
Side Note

Probably the heartiest laugh I ever belched was CNN showing the extensive bomb damage done to the YUGO Assembly Plant from US planes.  Those guys MUSTA been disgruntled YUGO owners because it was PASTED  LOL