Author Topic: XP Drivers  (Read 242 times)

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
XP Drivers
« on: October 03, 2002, 08:26:55 AM »
I notice that XP holds its own drivers for popular video cards. If we upgrade, should be delete these too? I always clearout the registry of old drivers on an upgrade after doing the uninstall routine, but is it safe to remove XP's own drivers from System32?

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
XP Drivers
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2002, 12:01:22 PM »
i just remove driver, and set to standard VGA.  I don't bother with registry modifications or hunting down files.

I may be just lucky but I've not had a prob doing it this way.

SKurj

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
XP Drivers
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2002, 12:44:39 PM »
Microsoft's drivers are there as a matter of convenience.  It allows the OS to recognize most hardware, thereby eliminating the need to install proprietary manufacturer's drivers from CD.  You can safely remove the reference drivers from the directory.  By removing, I don't mean deleting, I mean to rename them.  For example, rename it to something like nv4dsp.dll.MS.  There are also some .ini files that reference the appropriate library files.  If they are gone, when you reboot your computer, the hardware wizard will load up and try to find the drivers (as defined by the .ini files).  When it can't, it will prompt you to insert a disk containing the driver set.

Offline Jospe2

• Zinc Member
XP Drivers
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2002, 09:58:30 AM »
Originally posted by SKurj
i just remove driver, and set to standard VGA.  I don't bother with registry modifications or hunting down files.

I may be just lucky but I've not had a prob doing it this way.

SKurj

Skurj,  you do this with XP ?  I upgraded to Gforce4 and did not set my driver to standard VGA before I installed.   I called Dell after the fact and they were clueless regarding the standard VGA drivers.  Let me know.   Ty.

Jospe

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
XP Drivers
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2002, 10:23:17 AM »
yes Jospe with XP pro

Offline Jospe2

• Zinc Member
XP Drivers
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2002, 10:55:33 AM »
I have XP Home.   How do you do it on XP pro?   It might be the same.

Thanks,

Jospe

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
XP Drivers
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2002, 02:26:05 PM »
its been awhile but if i remember right...

I change adapter in display properties to standard vga, by selecting the driver from the list.

I then use add remove programs and remove nVidia drivers

And then I instal the new one's.

There's a few reboots in there

SKurj