Author Topic: Gunners - how do I join?  (Read 269 times)

Offline Dr Lecter

• Zinc Member
Gunners - how do I join?
« on: October 04, 2002, 08:30:30 PM »
Hi all - still getting great mileage out of this game.  But I cannot find advice in Help on joining another bomber as gunner.

I select 'join', then the player, and the system tells me that my join request has been sent.  Then I don't know what happens next.

Does the player get a message saying 'Lecter wants to join you'?

how do I know if I have been accepted?  Am I teleported to the aircraft?

What if the player is airborne?  Can he accept me while flying?

Should I wait in the hangar or go elsewhere?

Thanks for any advice on this...

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Gunners - how do I join?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2002, 08:43:16 PM »
You will be warped to thier aircraft if they accept you.

Though, please, for god's sake, DON'T try and join people who havnt invited you, it causes a big annoying popup window, and can mek people very unfriendly.  Also the majority if people aren't actually flying bombers so randomly joining is pointless.

Offline Dr Lecter

• Zinc Member
Gunners - how do I join?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2002, 03:49:04 AM »
Thanks Innominate, I always ask over the radio first, and would of course only ask where I can man a gun.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Re: Gunners - how do I join?
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2002, 05:50:19 AM »
Originally posted by Dr Lecter
I select 'join', then the player, and the system tells me that my join request has been sent.  Then I don't know what happens next.
If you are accepted, you should see a White text message saying that you have, and will be placed in their cockpit (pos 1).  Hit 2 to go to a gun position and then check the top left information for details of any other gun positions.  Try jumping around by hitting each number, with 1 returning you to the pilot's seat (effectively sitting on his knee! :) ).  

You can join someone at any time, even if they are not yet airborne - as soon as they go to the runway, you will go to, but will then be able to jump to the guns.  Or, if you don't want a long, boring flight, you can wait until they are almost in an active area before joining and get some action much quicker.  Also, if you don't want to wait until the pilot lands, you can then leave at any time by clicking Tower on the clipboard.  

Best place to send a join request from is the Tower, either using the roster or by typing .join [GameID] - inserting their name without the [ and ].  Confirm they are ready for you to join first as, unless they have elected to have join requests show in the text buffer, any join requests produce a huge window in the middle of the screen - not good if they are concentrating on not hitting trees/hills on take-off, or busy defending themselves from attackers at the time!  :)

When you are gunning a bomber, don't forget you have outside views enabled too!  Hit F3 to get external view, use the [ and ] to zoom away from or nearer to the aircraft, and then if you hit F8, you can then use the number pad (or view hat) to scroll around to see the aircraft from different angles.  :D

Also, if you join a formation, use Ctrl-2 or Ctrl-3 to jump to one of the other two aircraft - this way, the pilot can also jump to a gun on the lead plane, which is useful if there are multiple enemies attacking from different directions.... Happy Gunning!  ;)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Dr Lecter

• Zinc Member
Gunners - how do I join?
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2002, 03:37:31 PM »
Many thanks for all this very useful info Flossy.  

Is it just me being inept, or are players expected to find out details like this for themselves because Help is not comprehensive enough?

Thanks again,

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Gunners - how do I join?
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2002, 03:45:32 PM »
LOL.... well the Help files give the basic "how to"s..... but other than that it's a case of asking for further information here or in the MA.  Your question was pretty simple to answer in itself, but I thought I would also pass on some other information I have gathered myself over time....  :)  Never hurts to give some extra info!  ;)

I don't know if you have come across it yet, but there is lots of good information at Netaces.org for anyone just starting out in Aces High - or even those of us who have been here a bit longer!  I recommend you have a good look around that site, it's a mine of information....  :D
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Dr Lecter

• Zinc Member
Gunners - how do I join?
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2002, 05:22:33 PM »
Thanks flossy - just been onto Netaces, alot of good info as you say.  You know, thew biggest problem with AH is....TIME!  I ain't got enough of it.....

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Gunners - how do I join?
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2002, 05:24:20 PM »
Originally posted by Dr Lecter
You know, thew biggest problem with AH is....TIME!  I ain't got enough of it.....
I know exactly what you mean!!!  Already I am late for the CAP!  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun