Author Topic: Clipboard map is not created  (Read 1280 times)

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
Clipboard map is not created
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2003, 05:03:38 AM »
Here's Trinity map that you can compare. I pick the picture from the game's Clipboard, so the resolution is not as good as in Fin-Rus map's picture.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2003, 06:20:17 AM by kanttori »
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2003, 05:54:17 AM »
Here's the same area (50 miles X 50 miles) from both maps and the file quality is same in the both. I took those pictures from the Clipboard map: same size, same zoom etc.

I know that Trinity's area is four times bigger than Fin-Rus's area and the CB map must be 1024 X 1024 in the both maps. There can't be so many little details in Trinity's map. I want only show here the difference of readableness and sharpness between those two maps.;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2003, 06:16:24 AM by kanttori »

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2003, 06:00:35 AM »
And once more, this is the same area (25 miles X 50 miles) from both maps again. Must I say anything more from those maps? :rolleyes:

I don't want any misunderstandings, so I write here one more time: NOBADDY'S TRINITY IS A GREAT MA TERRAIN AND IT BROUGHT ME BACK TO MAIN ARENA!:D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2003, 06:08:45 AM by kanttori »

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2003, 06:26:33 AM »
Hitech would it be possible to let Dux make the clipbaord map for the Main Arena if he is willing to do it ???
Freeze

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2003, 07:55:12 AM »
Yes! It would be awesome to have Dux' CB maps in the MA terrains...heck, in all terrains!! :)
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2003, 08:34:50 AM »
His maps look great, but it has the same problem our current maps have. It's next to impossible to see the green friendly bases. On some maps you can't see either enemy or friendly. And, changing colors sometimes doesn't help either. Trinity is a perfect example of a map that isn't friendly to any icon colors. Or, at least a mix that allows you to see wingman, squad, friendly and enemy all on the map at once.

IMHO, I still think a greyscale CB map is the way to go.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2003, 10:49:48 AM »
oops :)
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2003, 09:30:28 AM »
I don't usually have any problems seeing the colours of bases, and I use default settings!

But trying to determine highs and lows by the Trinity clipboard map is impossible. When I zoom the map close, all I can see is DOTS! Even the sea on the map is coloured with altering lighter and darker blue dots, which IMHO is due to the program's unability to handle certain colours. I remember Kanttori having similar problems when he started to make skins to the planes, the solution being some nice little program that eliminated dots when changing from 32 bit to 256 colours.

IMO a great terrain like the Trinity deserves a map of the same quality!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2003, 01:52:29 PM »
It's not possible to have dux do them all, but he did do one for trinity that we will use, and im anxiously awaiting his proccess so we can duplicate it.

HiTech

Offline fffreeze220

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2003, 02:10:19 PM »
Thank u very much Hitech. U doing all of us a big favour.
Freeze

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2003, 02:32:26 PM »
Would something like this be viable as a basis for a clipboard map, taking the elevation data and turning it into contours, then shading:

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2003, 02:53:32 PM »
hey, how did you do that?

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2003, 03:06:30 PM »
Originally posted by BenDover
hey, how did you do that?

It was relatively straightforward. I fired up Vista Pro, a terrain-rendering program I have (purely for the DEM data it has) and loaded a terrain file for Granite Park. I exported the elevation data as a grayscale file, giving me the image at the top left below. Then I loaded the image into Paint Shop Pro and used the Topography effect on it, adjusting the parameters until I got something I liked; that gave me the image at the top right below.

For my original example, I just laid down a  new layer of solid green, but for the example in this message I went back to Vista Pro and exported the terrain colors; this is the image at the lower left below. I took that image and pasted it over the topography as a new layer, set it under the topography layer, set the mode of the topography layer to 'multiply', and adjusted the opacity of the topography layer until I got a result I liked, which is the image at the lower right below. (it's a desert canyon, which is why the colors are what they are)

With the same amount of fiddling with screenshots for terrain colors and exported heightfields for topography, it should be relatively easy to do this with any terrain data.

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2003, 03:26:04 PM »
Doing the same thing with DEM data from the Yosemite Valley around Half Dome, this is what I created. I will have to experiment with getting terrain data back out of a .RES file to see how easy it will be to do the same thing with an AH terrain file.

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2003, 05:15:13 PM »
Thank you Shiva for your good and clear lesson! I must try that, too (only like amateur) they're very great looking elevation maps what you have done!:cool: