Author Topic: Clipboard map is not created  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Clipboard map is not created
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2003, 05:44:53 PM »
Shiva, what your program does is the same basic principal as what I do in PhotoShop (but less automatic :))

Wow, HT... this is great news. I'll set myself a deadline so I can get that tutorial finished soon.
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2003, 10:03:32 AM »
Originally posted by Dux
Shiva, what your program does is the same basic principal as what I do in PhotoShop (but less automatic :))

Wow, HT... this is great news. I'll set myself a deadline so I can get that tutorial finished soon.

PSP isn't a high-end graphics editor like Photoshop; it only does about 80% of what PS can, but at 1/6 the price of Photoshop, it's a much better value for those of us who aren't professional graphic artists. It can use most PS-compatible plugins, though, which brings it closer to parity.

I expect that there would be people beyond HTC who would be interested in seeing the tutorial; could it be made generally available?

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2003, 11:15:08 AM »
Worry not, Shiva, the intent of the tutorial has always been for everyone here... I'm just speeding it up a little now that HT has shown interest. It will be available to all when it's done.

As for PSP... Like I've said, nothing in this technique is terribly fancy or high-end, and I would be very surprised if most midrange pixel-based graphics programs can not do any of the steps. As for specifics... I have never used PSP, so I cannot comment on its abilities. I guess you guys here will be Beta testers. :)

I can tell you upfront about some requirements, though.

A. You must be able to have multiple different layers in a single file. (about 10-15 typically)
B. Each layer must be capable of its own transparency setting (i.e., multiply, screen, overlay).
C. You must be able to colorize a greyscale image (the elevation map) in different ways.

Everything pretty much centers around these three things. Anything else is just a matter of doing something the easy way or the hard way.

Tutorial should be ready in about... 2 weeks :D
Rogue Squadron, CO

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2003, 01:02:17 PM »
Originally posted by Dux
A. You must be able to have multiple different layers in a single file. (about 10-15 typically)
B. Each layer must be capable of its own transparency setting (i.e., multiply, screen, overlay).
C. You must be able to colorize a greyscale image (the elevation map) in different ways.

All of which PSP will do easily.

Experimenting with VistaPro and setting the camera waaay up over the center of the DEM looking down to get as undistorted a view of the rendered terrain as possible, then using the 'topo' filter in PSP to get contours from the greyscale heightmap, a little experimentation produces a pretty reasonable shaded-terrain image with topographic contours. Since the terrain editor will export a heightfield image, then even if we have to screenshot a straight-down view of the terrain in the editor to get a shaded view, combining them to produce a quality map image seems eminently feasible:

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2003, 11:07:48 AM »
Please help:
Clicking on Make Map has created a Clipboard map that looks like it should.  Observing its attributes in PhotoShop its a RGB 1024x1024 8bit.
I created a "texsrc" folder in the "italy" folder and moved the .Bmp of the clipboard map to the "texsrc" folder. Then i renamed the Map.bmp  to the name that matches the name of my terrain,  italy.bmp.
I still have no clipboard map in game. What gives?
I also tried to change it to 512 x 512 with no luck.
Also TE noe Crashes with a "Ddhelp" error/Please help if ya have any ideas. Thanks
Mugzeee
« Last Edit: February 28, 2003, 11:12:17 AM by Mugzeee »

Offline FBfalcon

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.freebirdshome.com
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2003, 11:27:55 AM »
WOW!

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2003, 11:29:57 AM »
the map the TE generates is 1024x1024 24-bit, NOT 8-bit. you will need to convert it to 8-bit, throw it in texsrc folder, then open up the TE and in the upper left hit 'Build" then exit and re-enter, then it will show up. Remember to copy the .Res file of your map and paste it in your AH folder , so you can fly it offline.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by Mugzeee
Please help:
Clicking on Make Map has created a Clipboard map that looks like it should.  Observing its attributes in PhotoShop its a RGB 1024x1024 8bit.
I created a "texsrc" folder in the "italy" folder and moved the .Bmp of the clipboard map to the "texsrc" folder. Then i renamed the Map.bmp  to the name that matches the name of my terrain,  italy.bmp.
I still have no clipboard map in game. What gives?
I also tried to change it to 512 x 512 with no luck.
Also TE noe Crashes with a "Ddhelp" error/Please help if ya have any ideas. Thanks
Mugzeee

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2003, 09:22:58 PM »
Thanks a bunch .  I Had it i RGB and i didnt have an 8Bit ption in PhotoShop. So i changed it to Indexed color.  :)
 Mugzeee

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2003, 12:55:03 AM »
Originally posted by Dux

Interestingly, the beta for Paint Shop Pro 8 is now out; one of the new features is scripting (based off of the programming language Python). This means that I will be able to create a one-button script that will perform the topo function -- open the image, run the script, save the new image.  :D

There are a ton of new features in PSP8, too (along with an equally large number of interface changes, so it's going to take me a while to become familiar with the new version); I expect to have a lot of fun learning to use it...

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2003, 11:36:22 AM »
Originally posted by Dux
Ben, it's nothing more fancy than Photoshop, and the process only takes a couple of hours (without text). I started making a tutorial a few weeks ago, I'll post it if I ever finish it.

Any update on the status of the tutorial, Dux?

Offline StracCop

• Copper Member
      • http://www.digitaldioramas.com/
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2003, 09:20:56 AM »
Dux,

Were you able to complete that psd tutorial on
making topographic maps you were working on?

I was in the CT the other day (heck, what am I
saying - every day!) and I spoke to 10Bears
about the clipboard topo maps when he directed
me to you.  

Having read this thread and the possibility of
learnbing your technique has me quite excited.

Could you update us on the tutorial?

Thanks!

David
"StracCop"

Offline naziteck

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
      • http://www.msn.com
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2003, 08:47:12 PM »
hey duck let me see some of your work?

Offline Dux

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2003, 09:05:55 PM »
Okay, here's the deal... months ago, I started a tutorial that went into so much detail, my Grandmother would be able to do it. I don't have the time to continue with that much detail, so instead I'll make a very short and sweet tutorial and post it here by next week. If you have ever used a good bitmap editor... like PhotoShop or PaintShopPro... then you will have no trouble following the steps. If you've had no experience at all... well, I can't hold your hand through it. If you can't follow my steps, then you're really not ready for this kind of project anyway.

When it's ready, I'll start a new thread with all the steps in it. Stay tuned...
Rogue Squadron, CO

Offline StracCop

• Copper Member
      • http://www.digitaldioramas.com/
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2003, 11:24:57 PM »
When we get Dux' abbreviated tutorial I'll use it as a basis for a comprehensive one.  The comprehensive tut will be on its own web page and will most probably include some Flash movies that I will make showing certain aspects of the technique that may need elaboration.

David

Offline naziteck

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
      • http://www.msn.com
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2003, 09:44:21 AM »
cool :)

by the way       Dux what program do you use for your awesome clipboard maps? :)