Author Topic: Advice on Buying New Joystick Please  (Read 820 times)

Offline Dr Lecter

• Zinc Member
Advice on Buying New Joystick Please
« on: October 07, 2002, 03:56:35 AM »
Hooray! My cr***y old joystick is dead.  Now I will have to buy a new one.  Question is: which one?  What gimmicks are worthwhile, and what sould I avoid?

I originally asked this Q as part of a different thread, so attach comments from others here....

Fm Innominate:

"I don't know how much that is in ŁUK, but for about $50 US you can get a Thrustmaster Afterburner. Looks like a cheap toy but is solidly built. The best feature is that it has a joystick twist, which can be locked, and an option to use a rocker on the throttle as the rudder. (No more bumping the rudder when you move the stick)."

Fm JB73:

"Logitech Wingman 3d is about $30 US ... dont know exchange rate but its a decent stick.  No force feedback but has twist and 4 buttons on top of stick which is nice."

:) :) :)

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2002, 08:06:42 AM »
It all depends on how much you want to spend, and what OS you're running.  I've heard great things about CH products, the Saitek X45, and the Cougar HOTAS.  The cougar is very programmable, as is the Saitek.  Although, I've heard the the X45 doesn't play too nicely with Windows XP.

I fly with a MS Precision 2.  It's not a bad stick for the price.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2002, 09:10:04 AM »
Personally I've had very good use out of my MS Sidewinders. Latest one is a Sidewinder Prec 2, USB.

Has the twist throttle and 8 way hat. Costs about 50$ US. Good all one one stick. Traditionally TM products have had much heavier springs. Which is fine if your 6'4" and work as a lumberjack.

Check them all out, see whats available in your area. Check with other pilots in your area, see what they like.

Offline Dr Lecter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2002, 10:13:02 AM »
Thank you for these replies.

Ghosth - has the Prec 2 Sidewinder got force feedback?  I have read the spec on this in the UK and it does not mention this facility.

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2002, 10:26:56 AM »
Since I fly with the same stick as ghost, I'll reply.

No, the MS Precision 2 does not have force feedback.  For that, you'll have to purchase the MS ForceFeedback stick.  It's about $90 US.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2002, 02:46:05 PM »
I have had great success with the Microsoft Precision Pro series.  I personally have had 3 of them and my latest is the MS Force Feedback 2.  The FF runs around 95$ US.  I have found however that the force feedback is ok and unless you really really have to have it......you can do better with the Precision Pro.  I am particular to the MS Precision Pro and not the 2 model.  I like the button layout on the Prec Pro better than the Prec 2 model.

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2002, 03:10:57 PM »
I don't know how anyone can go wrong with the Saitek Cyborg 3D USB Gold joystick.  I have two of them, and they are great.  They do everything the MS Precision Pro sticks do for only $30.  It also looks much cooler!  I have looked at getting the more expensive Saitek X45 setup, but the tightwad in me keeps telling me that I can buy two and a half 3D USB sticks for every X45.  I am convinced that there is nothing out there better for the money.  By the way, don't install the programing software.  It is not needed.  Once windows detects the joystick, you can program all the buttons from the AH keyboard setup.  I run on Win98.  Don't know how it does on other systems.

By the way, here is a link  http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/cyborgold.htm

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2002, 03:28:03 PM »
I can thoroughly recommend the Saitek X36 USB combo - now replaced by the X45 - but for a long time my stick was the Saitek Cyborg 3D USB, which I retain for FPS games.

Avoid the X36 gameport; if you go for the X45, ignore the Saitek drivers and go for Dhauzimmer's.

I can also recommend the old Suncom kit.

I now have a Cougar which is just fantastic.

I've tried a fair number of joysticks and generally found that Microsoft's are too small for me.

Offline Uncle

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2002, 02:02:17 AM »
Originally had a MS PP1 for 4 years until it got a bit slack. Bought a MS FF2 but couldn't really get used to the no-centering mode and the fact that it activates as soon as you touch the stick. Really annoying.
Just bought the TM Top Gun Afterburner and am really happy with it. You can adjust the spring tension via a little knob under the base. I still use the twist grip for rudder 'cause I can't get used to the rudder on the throttle. I just hope that the pots don't crap out anytime soon.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2002, 01:17:16 PM »
vort say

fly with mouse your many kills will get you more noticed as you fly with mouse

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackoutboys/
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2002, 04:25:52 PM »
i just went through stick selection as i was trying to get away from my pp2 usb. I tried the saitek x45 - nice stick setup, but the drivers for win2k (same as xp) blew - i could not get stick setup. I did not try the other drivers mentioned in thread because I did not know about them...but for 90 bucks it should work. I tried the thrustmaster afterburner, it was nice, but I have a big hand and it made the heel of my palm sore...so, i fly with my microsoft precision pro 2 usb, just tweeked the scaling a and damping a bit to minimize the bounce i kept getting while shooting. Next stick? probably ms again...unless I drop $450 for the thrustmaster stick and rudder pedals and throttle...probably 49 dollar ms :(

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2002, 06:39:24 PM »
Right now I use a MS Precision II and Nostromo n50 SpeedPad as a 'throttle'.  The Speed Pad was made for FPS games but it works great as a throttle and provides lots of additional functions.  It was about $30.

Offline Betown

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ecomm-net.co.uk
Joystick
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2002, 03:24:41 AM »
I have had a whole range of joysticks since I started playing flight sims. I started playing WB with the original MS Precision Pro Gameport joystick which was just fantastic and is still working now. I can't fault it.

I bought a Saitek X36 (gameport) joystick throttle combo along with a set of TM peddals. The TM peddals where great but the X36 sucked bigtime. I didn't like the drivers or the stupid stick programing option you had to run and reconfiger ever time you wanted to run something. I also found the controls bouncy and inpracice (but that was just me) I went back to using the trusty old MS PP.

Last year at the AH UK convention I won the H2H compatition and my prize was a brand new Sidewinder Precision Pro 2. That is brilliant and I can't fault it. It has plenty of buttons to play with and an integrated throttle and twisty stick. I think it's just great and I would recommend it to anybody.

If it was me and I didn't have lots of money to fork out for a TM HOTAS then I would go for the Sidewinder Precision Pro 2. It's microsoft so it works great with windows.

Offline CapsAW

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2002, 12:23:59 PM »
Well in my time playing Air Warrior and AH, I've broken many joysticks, bad ones include, Thurstmaster (both I had broke within 2 weeks), Saitek X36 (toooo many bugs), Gravis Blackhawk (Cheapppp) umm lets see, Wingmans were alright, but I didnt really like them...

Good Ones: ANYTHING CH is good, also the current JS I have now is a Sidewinder Precision 2 and its holding up nicely, 4 months now without breaking...thats a record for me lol :)

Hope this helps...

Offline silentdragon

• Zinc Member
Sticks
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2002, 03:56:21 PM »
I had:
a Gravis Blackhawk - sucked - only 4 buttons
MS Sidewinder 3D - twisty rudder on main stick annoyed me
Some other stick that I can't remember - My dad stole it to play Aces High one day haven't seen it since

and my current stick is:
Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner
    It is a nice stick, you can select weither you use the twisty handle as a rudder or the rocker switch on the throttle.  The throttle and the stick itself can seperate.  The mapping software is rather buggy, but it can be delt with.
It is a good stick for the $40 I spent on it, only 1 notch down from the HOTAS setups that Thrustmaster offers.  So, all in all, I would say this stick gives you a lot of bang for your buck, but then again, every one has thier own favorite stick.  THis one just happens to be mine.  SO, long story short here is my trolling disclaimer:  The views expressed in this thread are the property of SLShill and are not meant as an attack on anyone or anything.  These are merely my thoughts as I read this thread.  If you get insulted by this reply then I really can't help you.  If you think I'm stupid then I can't help you again.  I may be stupid, I may be smart, all you know is what I type.