Author Topic: Audigy Slowing my system down  (Read 166 times)

Offline woodfordb

• Zinc Member
Audigy Slowing my system down
« on: October 11, 2002, 12:47:41 PM »
Ive been experincing slow downs in many of my games over the past few months.

Run XP, on a P4 1.7ghz 850 chip set motherboard. was running a live card, but changed to an Audigy.

I get FPS of about 85 when nothing is happening (Hitting my vsync) but can drop to 23 when there is lots happening close around me. first I though my cpu could'nt cope, but then noticed flying over a smoking field with planes a long way away I was getting FPS of 60ish, not bad. Its when there are more sounds ie: other engines etc that my machine takes a dive.

I cant run AH with out sound, so did some tests on the new Unreal 2003. With Hardware sound enabled get arround 23-30fps. with Software/safe sound mode about 80. sound card disabled get about 80 also... so looks like when I off load the sound to my CPU my machine goes faster. but when trying to run any kind of hardware accelerated sound my pc grind to a halt.

I removed the drivers, the card and uninstalled the software and started again from scratch - using the latest 253 drivers from creatives web site. still the same issue?

Shall I give up on it and get a turtle beach or fortismo 2? or does anyone have any idea's?

Cheers

Mandrill

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Audigy Slowing my system down
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2002, 01:37:10 PM »
You could try reducing sound acceleration and see if that makes a difference.

control panel
sounds and audio devices
advanced
performance tab

move slider a notch left and test, repeat as neccessary

SKurj