Author Topic: Forest & tall grass  (Read 811 times)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Forest & tall grass
« on: October 08, 2002, 06:02:02 PM »
I expect NUTTZ is typically way ahead of me but if we took stuff like pizza, lake and lava (ie near full tile) and  with collide switched off layered them one above another.................

could we make a forest or a field of tall grass.......that GV's travel thru but can be seen only with difficulty........... I s'pose it might be FR hell................. i dont have the graphic skills

If workable  i have an application on a scenario terrain I am building that could really use this...........

I guess it would have to be a flat forest.............

Oh and can someone remind me what the object properties of an "officers club" are? and now we have "structure" what is "bombable"
« Last Edit: October 08, 2002, 06:06:32 PM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Forest & tall grass
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2002, 09:04:06 PM »
LOL, i'm WAY past that point............I did that with a vietnam map I made awhile ago, you should see what i have up my sleeves now:)

like i said in another post , you guys can skin the planes, I went in a completely different direction.

NUTTZ

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Forest & tall grass
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2002, 03:44:19 AM »
Originally posted by NUTTZ
I did that with a vietnam map I made awhile ago, you should see what i have up my sleeves now:)

You were re skinning objects a while ago?:)

Do I have to go through the same learning curve or can you proffer some advice......?

My first attempt with lava ended up with some very translucent triangles.............(I was simple copying the tile pattern onto the lava.bmp and blacking out the gaps between bush lines on the lava_a.bmp{rest was white})

.....I think for my purposes a forest format that stuff can hide in would be enough..............I do not want to overload the terrain with such objects............just place some between spawn points and  fields.

Looking forward to what I should see.....:)
Ludere Vincere

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Forest & tall grass
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2002, 12:35:57 PM »
you could use the snow texture remade as grass, etc. and use the pizza as the Clutter Object

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Forest & tall grass
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2002, 02:44:11 PM »
NO, I wasn't skinning stuff, BUT i was using  the Vehicle field void and raising it 40 feet above the terrain for GV cover, Now that I have reskinned it with forest and placed it over forest tile,It now is very hard to see the GV's. Want to see a screenie? The vehicle hanger roof mesh gave me the idea.

I've also made bridges last year that are workable, Alot of people have seen this and even flew under/over, and drove gv's across.  Screenie?

Sofar with the new editor i have reskinned the lake, barn, roofs hangers even snow capped the leaves on the trees for my winter sets. I'm making bare trees for harsher winters.

I won't be doing plane skins just yet, althou my resourses for photos is in place, theres just too many ground objects i am reskinning now.

The one problem i have is the TE crashes my terrain with all the changes , so i am transferring them to another map to see If it was something i changed.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by Tilt

You were re skinning objects a while ago?:)

Do I have to go through the same learning curve or can you proffer some advice......?

My first attempt with lava ended up with some very translucent triangles.............(I was simple copying the tile pattern onto the lava.bmp and blacking out the gaps between bush lines on the lava_a.bmp{rest was white})

.....I think for my purposes a forest format that stuff can hide in would be enough..............I do not want to overload the terrain with such objects............just place some between spawn points and  fields.

Looking forward to what I should see.....:)

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
Forest & tall grass
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2002, 02:46:32 PM »
terrain crashing?
maybe due to what Skuzzy just posted?

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
New lake BMP
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2002, 02:58:31 PM »
I can drop this over any tile, heres the forset tiles with the lake object over it:)

NUTTZ

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
Forest & tall grass
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2002, 03:00:27 PM »
is that the 'layered' forest you were speaking of.

or the lake is the 'layer' above the forest tile?

hard to tell from the pic but things are looking sweet!

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Forest & tall grass
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2002, 03:09:42 PM »
NO, I wasn't skinning stuff, BUT i was using  the Vehicle field void and raising it 40 feet above the terrain for GV cover, Now that I have reskinned it with forest and placed it over forest tile,It now is very hard to see the GV's. Want to see a screenie? The vehicle hanger roof mesh gave me the idea.

I've also made bridges last year that are workable, Alot of people have seen this and even flew under/over, and drove gv's across.  Screenie?

Sofar with the new editor i have reskinned the lake, barn, roofs hangers even snow capped the leaves on the trees for my winter sets. I'm making bare trees for harsher winters.

I won't be doing plane skins just yet, althou my resourses for photos is in place, theres just too many ground objects i am reskinning now.

The one problem i have is the TE crashes my terrain with all the changes , so i am transferring them to another map to see If it was something i changed.

NUTTZ

Thx
I have used lake at 5,10,15,20 ft and mixed it with a pizza at minus 150 and a lava at 0 feet  thats 6 objects and its still a bit too translucent............... I'll try snow cap and see if its better.............i dont like the side profile given by pizza although it does warn of a "masked area"

I have a working bridge......... every thing drives over except an LVT.............. no tile edge infringement......very usable not perfect only  8 objects and some pylons..............

I would like to see your forest cover...........can you change the translucency by changing the mask picture.......(eg LAKE_a.bmp)...... in this I have just blacked out the areas of forest representing path ways or forest thining and left the colours in.................

Your .res is gonna be big is you have a decent clipboard map...........mines already 3MB
Ludere Vincere

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
Forest & tall grass
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2002, 04:08:24 PM »
They did add 2 more clutter shapes

GC019 and GC020 which are tees that its worth looking at.

Here is a list of new stuff added to the editor.

109E4
110C4
110G2
163WL

A20G
A6M2
ARFLASH

BOSTON3

D3A1

F4F4
FM2

GC019
GC020

HURRI1

ME163

P40B
P40E

RADRTWR
RCKT2
RCKT2A
RCKT2L
RCKT2LA
RCKT2RA
REVTMNT

SBD5
SC100
SC100A
SC100L
SPIT1
SPIT14
SPITRLA

TWINPOD

Here is the full list of available items in the editor.

http://accesswave.ca/~tscott/AH-stuff/AH-Editor&Stuff/Shpfilter/shpfilterVer2.10P8.exe

P.S  Good stuff you're doing Nuttz,  saw some other stuff that you posted. :cool:

Pokie
« Last Edit: October 09, 2002, 04:11:26 PM by pokie »

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Forest & tall grass
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2002, 04:09:49 PM »

NUTTZ

Oops, you broke it;)

When's your site going to be up anyway? and is the tunisia terrain with the bridge version going to be on their?

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
Forest & tall grass
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2002, 04:19:49 PM »
Nuttz has shown me the light :)

prolly won't see me for a month or two now! lol

(can you hear the gears turning?)

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
Forest & tall grass
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2002, 10:56:08 PM »
can someone tell me how to utilize the alpha channel in bitmaps..
I.E. like the lake1a.bmp that goes with the lake1.bmp.

I know it controls transparency but I don't know exactly how to edit my own and make sure the alpha channel works the way I want it to.  I'm using Photoshop if that helps anyone explain.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Forest & tall grass
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2002, 06:25:06 PM »
quite simple, the alpha channel is a greyscale. The black area on the alpha channel will become transparent in the game. the tile .bmp ( whatever tile you have the lake over) will show threw in the black area.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by Wlfgng
can someone tell me how to utilize the alpha channel in bitmaps..
I.E. like the lake1a.bmp that goes with the lake1.bmp.

I know it controls transparency but I don't know exactly how to edit my own and make sure the alpha channel works the way I want it to.  I'm using Photoshop if that helps anyone explain.