Author Topic: Best Plane for n00b  (Read 591 times)

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2002, 11:33:46 PM »
H2H is FREE (not cost) 8 player room.

Arenas like MA,TA,CT and SA cost 15$ per moth (alltogether).

So, "h2h or arenas" tells it all.

Offline Moloch

• Copper Member
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2002, 02:23:46 AM »
fm2

can turn and has wep

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2002, 12:03:05 PM »
no xjazz i know what hth is

hth is not just 1 arena

its kind of like the msn gaming zone where several rooms can be up or down and are player hosted and only have 8 players

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2002, 05:41:13 PM »
Personally...you picked 1 of the best 3 to learn on. Yak, 205, F6.

All are solid planes that can be used in all three fight "styles". Once you can hold your own with one of these you can branch out easily to the rest of the set. The biggest problems with some of the other suggestions is that the plane will do more work than the pilot...or that the plane is so outclassed that you won't develope a decent skill set....stick with the yak. Shane Cobra and others can run up 5 kill sorties pretty easily in the Yak. One thing to try is mapping the cannon and mg seperately. Use the mgs at 250-350 and hold the cannon till you are in closer (200 or less). One solid shot at close range will take out all but the tough and the lucky. You can actually score kills of the mgs as well. They seem to hit pretty hard at that range.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Z6

• Copper Member
F6F or Spit IX
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2002, 12:11:03 AM »
F6F & Spit IX are very user friendly.  They do everything fairly well.  Can't go wrong with either 1 of them.  :p

Offline HeLLcAt

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/xiZm04
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2002, 10:26:42 AM »
I would have to say the F6F. This plane climbs fairly well, dives faster than almost any plane. It outturns spits at high speeds and will B n Z planes if you do it right. I think that since this is a plane that you will have to use your SA = Situational Awareness right away you will be able to learn pretty quick. I have some tricks that I would gladly be able to teach you in the F6F. Mathman's website is also a good tool, but email me at lmpbzktsk82004@yahoo.com and I will teach you some things. SALUTE!

Offline anton

• Nickel Member
      • http://n/a
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2002, 04:47:06 PM »
yer right the yak has no firepower, try the spit 14.:cool:

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2002, 11:48:42 PM »
I agree with all that has been posted here. All good input.
My experience has been that the traditional "Knife fighters"...SpitV and IX..N1k and Fm2, to mention a few are good to learn on. However... it seems that every individual has somewhere inside them, a ride that suits them. You need to explore your fighting style and all the aircraft.
For example...I started my SQN out in Spits. It's easy to fly and does most things well. We now fly almost exclusively Hogs..(F4U1D's to be exact). and do fairly well with it. It is all a matter of exploring what your preferred method of fighting is, and finding an Aircraft that performs as you want/need and getting comfortable with it.
Whatever A/c you settle on as your main ride, you will find in here people who can help you become much better. It is a great community.
And on that note..anyone who has Corsair experience..421 recruiting hehe. or just look us up , we are always willing to help out, and indeed even learn a thing or two.
Cheers,
RTR CO 421 TFS
The Damned

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2002, 11:57:39 AM »
I don't agree that the spitIX is a good "starter" plane. It's got some unique FM issues that make it a plane that builds bad habits. Primarily it doesn't bleed E quickly so you develop a bit of "yank & bank" early on...later you go through an adjustment where you can't finish of a fight because your bleeding E all over. Additionally, a lot of moves that will work defensively with other rides won't work in the spitty since it won't unload E as quickly when needed...new stick will discount moves that "didn't work" when in reality the plane was the "problem". The spitty is certainly a great ride and can provide a lot of fun...and more than a few "1 ping kills"...but it won't build a good skill set...niether will the Nikki. I haven't flown the FM2 but from what I've read it turns awful well...like zeke or even better. Again niether zeke or FM2 will build the skillset as fast. Again I'm simply approaching this from the perspective of getting a newer pilot to speed as quickly as possible with a minimum of "bad habits".

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2002, 07:40:37 PM »
C205, P-38, F6F, P-51, La5,Ki61 all good "learner" planes.

I'd recomend the C205 for overall learning, the P-51 for Energy management learning. Then graduate to the other planes in the list.

If you just want to get kills without worrying about needing any skill other than turn and spray cannon, then fly N1k and Spit9.