Author Topic: Best Plane for n00b  (Read 589 times)

Offline kLiCk

• Zinc Member
Best Plane for n00b
« on: October 14, 2002, 09:57:22 AM »
Well i have been playing on and off for about 4-months...I have no real flight sim experince except for this game and a little FS2000...Anyway i tend to fly a yak (very easy to fly) but there is not enough fire power on that...Is there any plane that can give me the feel as the yak but fire power like a spit...Thanks for all input, and see ya in the air..:D

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2002, 10:07:24 AM »
Not really, can try the C.205, but the Yak is unique in many respects.

La7 perhaps comes closest, although not as nimble
it has better speed especially on the deck.

Perhaps the N1k.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2002, 01:02:01 PM »
Try the 205 or the Ki, but get in close before you squeeze.  They have 4 guns, but very slow muzzle velocity.

You might also try the Hurricane IIc - 4 cannons can pack a wallop!  When I fly the Hurri IIc, I shoot the guns in pairs rather than all 4 at once. 2 or 3 hits will bring down most planes.

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2002, 01:13:02 PM »
Try the Tiffie... Guns are a very good tool, but its poor roll rate amounts to many deaths, Unless you fly very smart.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2002, 01:30:01 PM »
I'm assuming you've been flying the Yak-9U. Have you tried the Yak-9T? Not quite as fast as the "U" but it does have wep. While it has only 32 rounds of 37mm it only takes 1-2 rounds to bring down most fighters. Saddle up, tap the cannon,  and watch the parts fly. Very satisfying. :)
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline kLiCk

• Zinc Member
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2002, 01:38:26 PM »
Thanks for all the input fellas...I have tried both yaks, i think what i might need to do is a little reading..Does anyone know a good site with specs and things of that nature..Once again thanks a mill..:D

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2002, 02:17:55 PM »
I'd reccomend a few planes,
For your first sorties, I'd reccomend the n1k2, it turns well, can take damage, had good visibility, good guns, and a ton of ammo, ideal for learning the basics of gunnery in.

Once you're able to actually hit what you're shooting at without much trouble, it''s time to move on to learning how to fly, learn the basic concepts of energy and ACM.  Good planes for it are the spits, the p51d, la7, etc.

Next, when you get the basics of fighting down, I'd reccomend advancing to a tougher plane, anything with an ENY over 20 or so.  The slightly tougher planes are excellent for getting better at fighting, since it's that or get shot down.

This is just a reccomendation, the rough path I followed as a newbie.  Don't be afraid to try every plane there is, and see what you think about it, there isn't a plane that isn't somtimes fun to fly.

A general overview of the strengths and weaknesses of every plane can be found here:
http://www.telusplanet.net/~dsoder/models.htm

Offline akak

• Silver Member
      • http://www.479thraiders.com
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2002, 05:12:34 PM »
You're going to want a plane that is easy to fly for the first few weeks until you get used to the flight model.  La7, Spitfire Mk IX and the N1K2 are good learner planes because of their ease of flight.  

Ack-Ack

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2002, 06:15:11 PM »
I concur, the Spit and N1K are usually the best planes for new pilots.  The Spit IX can really be a great starter and intermediate plane before trying out something that really requires a more disciplined fight, like a P-51 or La7.  Eventually you really want to fly everything in the game though, and understand the nuances of each.

Damn, my webspace has been getting assaulted with everyone linking to it..... but that's good.  I hope it helps some people.

-Soda
The Assassins.

Offline Soviet

• Nickel Member
      • http://flanker2.8m.net
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2002, 10:32:50 PM »
Try everything, that's pretty much what I did.  Most people have their own certain way of flying.  Some like the turn and burn furball type of fighting.  Some like the energy fight where you must monitor your planese energy (speed and altitude) and use it to get angles over your opponent.  And some like Boom and Zoom where you dive in above your opponent, get a shot at him and zoom back up to where you were flying before.

There are planes suited to each of these needs.  The Bf-109G10 is a real speed deamon but it isn't the most nimble plane.  The Fw-190D9 is kind of a jack of all trades except it's turning absolutly sucks.  The P-51 is pretty good, very fast and turns DECENTLY.  The Spitfire is one of the best turners in the game (plus it isn't as terribly slow as some of the dedicated turners) but it isn't the fastest plane in the game, most planes will be able to run away if they wish.  The Nik2 is a decently plane, does a lot well but i never really took a liking to it.  The zeke is a fun plane but is very slow, you will pretty much be able to hold the stick all the way back in the zeke and outturn ANYTHING.  The F4u1D is a pretty nice choice too, it turns decently, dives like no tomorrow, has decent speed and can carry a lot of ordinance. The Yak-9U does everything well, it's fast, turns well, climbs decently however it is severly lacking in the guns departement with 1 20mm carrying only 120 rounds (you will eat through these fast) and 2 12.7mm machien guns with a little less than 200 rounds per gun.

Those are pretty much the planes I started off trying.  A lot of the planes have something special to offer and you may like that.  Try em all out and find which one suits your flying style the best :)

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2002, 06:33:19 PM »
huricane mk 2 c

aka

hurc2lese

4 20mm hispano cannons
relatively good tuirn rate (not as good as hurri 1 [wich has been known to out turn the zeke] but still good)
pretty nice turn and climb rate

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2002, 06:59:15 PM »
Originally posted by vorticon
huricane mk 2 c

aka

hurc2lese

Where on earth did you come up with hur2lese?  I've never heard anyone else say that.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2002, 01:14:27 PM »
somethings have to start somewhere.... and how could you here me the mb has not got vox does it???

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2002, 04:27:39 PM »
SpitIX, Bf109F, Bf109G2, F6F, La5 or N1K etc allrounders (imho).

Make your choise and spend some time in Offline. Just generall flying: field of view, stalls, compress and guns. You get some touch & routine about all of them BEFORE online fights (h2h or arenas).

If online fighting is new to you please check out link below and metioned articles:SimHq pages and read following articles:
-Energy Management: Picking the Right Airplane for the Job
-BOOM AND ZOOM TACTICS
-Air to Air Gunnery Revisited - Guns, Gunsights, and Convergence

plus links in my siganarure. Rest is up just about practise, practise and practise...

:)

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Best Plane for n00b
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2002, 06:44:33 PM »
what do you mean by hth or arenas?????

hth has several player hosted 8 person arenas that are ocasionaly up not just one arena.