Author Topic: The WWII Vets I Met this Weekend  (Read 223 times)

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
The WWII Vets I Met this Weekend
« on: July 16, 2000, 05:55:00 PM »
As some of you know, I went to the AW Convention this weekend. Now I don't fly AW much anymore, but I have alot of old friends there, and wanted to meet the WWII Vets that were attending. I just want to encourage all of you to attend the AH convention in October, CON's are something you will never forget.

Our guest speaker was Bud Anderson a three time ace with 15 and 1/4 kills, who flew with the 357th Fighter Squadron. His was the famous P-51 "Old Crow", and who often flew with Chuck Yeager.

Also attending were Bud Lee a B-17 pilot who flew 28 combat missions in late 44 and early 45 in the "Lady Geraldine" for the 'Bloody' 100th Bomber Group. He also brought along his old friend and wartime tail gunner Buck (damn sorry but can't remember his last name). Their Top turret gunner (who didn't attend) actually got a Me262 kill during the war.

Earl, a long time member of the AW community was also present. He flew P-39's, P-38's and P-47's in the Mediterannean theater, and flew just about everything else after the war.

And as I already told, Robert Shaw , author of "Fighter Combat, Tactics and Manuvering" was also there. Now he isn't a WWII vet (He flew in the Navy during the late Vietnam era), but you can learn alot by talking too him.

The only disappointment was that the B-17 that was suppose to be there, had an engine failure and couldn't make it.

The talks they gave were great   I will never forget the stories they told, and our questions they answered. Gentlemen, one and all.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2000, 10:08:00 PM »

Originally posted by Vermillion:

The only disappointment was that the B-17 that was suppose to be there, had an engine failure and couldn't make it.

I KNEW it sounded like "Thunderbird" was only on 3 engines when it was coming over last week.  

- Jig

(The clueless looking one at the '97 AW Con, Next to SF most of the time)

Offline MiG Eater

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.avphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2000, 01:41:00 PM »
Verm et al, it truly was a great Con in Indy.  I wanted to mention that the pilot of the Lady Geraldine is Lee Jacobs.  I think you shortchanged "Bud" Anderson on one of his air-air kills    He had 16 1/4 in the air (+ 1 on the ground).

I had a chance encounter with Col. Anderson at the United terminal in Denver while returning from the Con Sunday (yesterday)afternoon.  I thanked him for sharing his time and his experiences.  I received a hearty handshake and a warm smile as he said "Thank You."  He was conveying his thanks not to me, but I'm sure the entire community of people that keeps the memory of their sacrifices from being forgotten.  It was an amazing moment and the highlight of the entire trip.

MiG

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2000, 04:34:00 PM »
Mig is right on the name, sorry. I have always been piss poor with names.

Mig, I didn't know you were there. You should have said hello.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2000, 04:43:00 PM »
I met Col. Andersona a few years back and I probably came off like a babbling idiot as I was probably suffering from a wee bit of hero worship since I've read his book so many damned times (re-glued the binding twice allready) and it just made my day getting a chance to meet the man.  After I stumbled through a greeting I settled down and we had a pleasant talk.  I'll never forget it.  

------------------

"Smoke me a kipper boys, I'll be back for breakfast"

[This message has been edited by Soulyss (edited 07-17-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Soulyss (edited 07-17-2000).]
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2000, 09:38:00 AM »
 I envy the time you got to spend with Earl, Verm. But you knew that already  )

-Westy