Author Topic: The c47 - It turns better than a fighter, and carries less men than an m3..go figure  (Read 613 times)

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
I am very curious to understand what is going on with my shoddy piloting skills.

At normal speed, from any altitude, I can easily loop my c47. I have never stalled doing it, I always have more altitude at the end of the loop than when I started. I almost cannot stall it. I've tried, and have been unable many times. Yet, when I try the same thing in every fighter, I stall and die in nothing flat.

Another interesting thought - why does my c47 only carry the same number of men as an m3? That seems like a crime to me. One m3 should carry barely enough to cap a field - if anything goes wrong and even one guy dies, you wont get it. But a c47? It should have 50 guys..way more than enough to take a field.

I also think that it would be AWESOME to have ground-unit drop options. A c-47 should be able to airlift a ground-unit and drop it at the scene.

How sweet would it be to open door, bomb, and be dropping your buddy in an m16 heh.

Oh well, back to work.

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
The C-47 Carried one stick of 18 paratroopers in WWII.  I guess you could get 20 passengers in comfortably, 25 or 30 like they seat you in a current airliner  

18 Guys and their gear and they packed em in.

------------------

"Downtown" Lincoln Brown.
    lkbrown1@tir.com    
 http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Wrecking Crews "Drag and Die Guy"
Hals und beinbruch!

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Krhm.. C-47 does only carry 30 passengers when it's on passenger role, and that does not include those parachutes and other gear of soldiers.. (so there we go to downtowns numbers)

Military C-47 should have seats by the walls, when 30 fits when seats are fitted like in the jets.. (There comes big difference in carry numbers)

About turning ability of C-47.. theres stories of even twin engined bombers been turning with fighters in the real war.
I have personally read about one where Blenheim IV of Finnish Air Force we're just about to land at the field which was being harassed by russian fighter (blenheim had radio broken or something and they didnt know about that).
Blenheim had already its flaps and gears down when suddenly firestream went by them, pilot pulled gears up and begun circeling with the fighter on a treetop level, with result of enemy fighter leaving after using up all its ammo and blenheim had alot bullet hits in the right wingtip, but landed safely.

And thats a bomber  

Oh. by the way, M3 halftrack carries 12 troops really..
Then I wonder one thing, where is M1919A4 from M3 Halftrack?

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
The DC3 is a forgiving airplane for minor aerobatics in the game because it has a large, high lift wing and stalls at a slow speed.

Fighters tend to have a more critical airfoil. You can easily loop any fighter given suffiecient airspeed.  Get decent altiude, start with a shallow dive to gain speed, and pull back.  You will survive and complete the loop.

Regarding troop carrying capacity:

The C47 carrys 10 troops, and thats enough.

The M3 carrys 10 troops, and thats enough.

Botabing, your comment is the first time I have heard anybody say they are capping a field with an M3.  

CAP= Combat Air Patrol.  Basically using fighter coverage to protect an installation, patrol a given area or to extend fighter coverage over a field under attack.  You can see how this would be tricky with M3's.  

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Dago, you got M2, engine, controls, decent armour and no roads = bumpy off-road makes that all count as flying M3 halftrack  
So.. that way we can CAP with M3.

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
>>>>>>The C47 carrys 10 troops, and thats enough.

If I thought it was enough, then I wouldn't care. But, if it takes ten, and the C47 and M3 both carry ten, then ten is NOT enough for the C47. I should be able to unload enough guys taht if a couple get killed, I can still cap the target.

An m3 and a c47 did not hold an equal number of troops.

Cap = Capture as im using it.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
If one or two troops get killed, chance are they are gonna die enmasse.  
My experience is, the all make it, or a whole lot die!  They die pretty easy, so again, going back to experience, taking a M3 or C47 into a field depends on the field being well capped to allow survival.  If you drop from a survivable altitude, they will all live.  If any cons are around in the air, they will kill the hapless C47. If they troops get out, and cons are on the ground, they will probably slaughter the troops.  One or two more doesnt make a differance.

This really goes to the issue of if a field is ready for troops or not.  If it is, 10 is always enough.  If it isnt, 25 troops wouldnt do it either.

Many many fields are captured everyday using the current loadout of troops.  It must work.

If you want to assign a previously used term to a differant meaning, pls give us warning. :0

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
Actually, there are two reasons why I think the c47 should have more troops.

#1 - Reality
  A c47 is a big airplane. An M3 is a small vehicle. The plane carries more. Its really just math, more is more.

#2 - Ack
  The other day, I lost a field capture just because the ack kicked up as my last 2 troops were entering the map room.
  Its not possible to know exactly when an ack is going to "RESPAWN" - its also not even close to realistic. Im sitting there, you think I wouldnt machine gun the squeakes who are working to rebuild the ack?
  With the unpredictability of surface guns that magically reappear, a couple extra troops can make a difference.

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
Hi Botabing,
 Judging from the replies to my post in the gameplay forum HTC have decided that the slightly "relaxed approach" to the C47's carrying capacity is a gameplay issue. If the C47 could carry it's full complement of troops (22 I think) the number of troops to capture a field would probably be set higher than 10. This probably would mean that multiple M3's would be needed to be used and although I see no problem with that they obviously consider it to be an issue. So it seems for the time being we have 2 choices. The M3 (Slower but harder to spot) or the C47 (Faster, but a bloody big "free lunch" sticker on top).

TTFN
snafu

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member

Originally posted by snafu:
This probably would mean that multiple M3's would be needed to be used and although I see no problem with that they obviously consider it to be an issue. So it seems for the time being we have 2 choices. The M3 (Slower but harder to spot) or the C47 (Faster, but a bloody big "free lunch" sticker on top).

This current M3A1 Halftrack carries 12 troops in real life.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member

Originally posted by BotaBing:
Actually, there are two reasons why I think the c47 should have more troops.

#1 - Reality
  A c47 is a big airplane. An M3 is a small vehicle. The plane carries more. Its really just math, more is more.

C-47 really isnt that big plane, passenger version of it carries only 30 passengers plus crew. (crew of 4 I believe; two pilots, radist and stuert)

M3 is not so small, when you can use almost all the space on it that it covers on the ground, unlike with a plane.

C-47 carries 18-22 paratroops and M3 carries
12 troops.

Though, once I would have wished to have all those 12 troops in M3, because B26 came in hangar (which nicely points right into the bunker and has to move only a bit to strafe it) and soon after shot just a bit so that he got one of my troops (and I gave him face full of .50 caliber, muhaha)

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
Hi Fishu,
Yes I know the M3 could carry 12 troops, That's why I said "Probably"   .

But the C47 could carry nearly twice as much. It wasn't that small (93 ft wingspan I think). Like I said. It's a gameplay issue. (Overmodelled Cannon Hog Undermodelled C47) ( Runs for cover)   .

TTFN
snafu

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Alittle off-topic, but do you know what A/C and number of passengers holds the world record?  I do!

AKNiteflyr

Gee guys look a gooney, never tried that, many moons ago I used to fly one for a small nightfreight outfit from BWI(Baltimore Intel Scareport) to Philly to Charlie west(Charleston SC), interesting enought in freight mode I never got the urge to loop it.

Man wish I was flying it now.  Hmm nope still would not have the urge to Loop it.  

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
ROLTFLOL NITEFLYER!  HEHEHE!