Author Topic: 160+ Reasons Why eskimo SUCKS!!! (And is a Retarded Dweeb)  (Read 376 times)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
160+ Reasons Why eskimo SUCKS!!! (And is a Retarded Dweeb)
« on: October 19, 2002, 12:17:35 PM »
I've been unable to play AH for nearly 3 months all because 160 pins on my motherboard needed jumpers.
It all started with a inherited AMD 1400, ECS K7AMA mobo, 256 DDR RAM PC.  My old P-II 350 had frame rates of 5 to 25 and was killing my gameplay, the 1400 sounded like a huge improvement.  When I got it, the system worked and played AH without problems.  I determined that the video card was junk and replaced it with a GeForce Ti4200.   All was well.  AH played well with great frame rates.
Then 1.10 came out.  
I started getting CTDs, figured it would be fixed in the next patch or two.  Afterall, AH ran well before 1.10...
Then it started rebooting itself randomly.
Then I got more and more CTDs as the patches came out.  Very soon, AH was unplayable.
Rebooting became more frequent.
So, I figured, maybe it wasn't AH, maybe something went bad about the same time 1.10 came out.  
Clearly the power supply was bad, I replaced it and the rebooting went away.
But, the CTDs were there to stay.
My problem in analyzing the situation was that I assumed that a part went bad, since it worked fine before 1.10.  It never occurred to me that the MoBo was set up incorrectly from the get go.
I ended up reformatting the HDD, loading Windows several times, replacing the HDD (it really was bad on top of it all), and buying a new stick of 512 DDR RAM.  

Last night I was looking for the GeForce manual (thinking maybe it went bad) and came across the K7AMA MoBo manual.  While comparing the jumper settings in the manual to the actual settings on the MoBo, I found that it never was set for DDR RAM.  There are 160 pins that needed 8 X 10 X 2 jumpers.  The jumpers were there, but only clipped onto one side of the pins.
I moved the jumpers, and AH now plays CTD free!  Last night I flew for 3.5 hours without a CTD!

I'm guessing that 1.10 must be more sensitive and not quite as stable as 1.09.  I can't imagine how else 1.09 ran so well on the same system.

I suppose that's it's OK in the long run because I just started a new job that I was totally unprepared for, and didn't need my AH addiction getting in the way.

Anyway, my system appears to be fixed, and I'm back!  (And am still as retarded as ever)

eskimo

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2002, 12:20:31 PM »
Welcome back Eskimo, it can be a squeak when you get a niggling computer problem that takes a little time to track down.

Offline Hussein

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2002, 12:25:15 PM »
Manual jumpers on a motherboard? (shivers..)

I thought we got rid of those like 10 years ago.. :)

That's what you get for buying cheap toejam.. problems. Lol.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2002, 12:31:44 PM »
Originally posted by Hussein
Manual jumpers on a motherboard? (shivers..)

I thought we got rid of those like 10 years ago.. :)

That's what you get for buying cheap toejam.. problems. Lol.

True, but it was free, and I am poor.

Thanks for all your help and advice Hussein! (and others)

eskimo

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2002, 02:53:27 PM »
Alright eskimo! :)

Offline Oosik

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2002, 04:38:51 PM »
I told you that your schools computer teacher could help you out - He did have those manuals didn't he?   Glad to see you are up and running again.

0osik

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2002, 11:45:42 PM »
when all else fails, read the directions/manual :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2002, 01:44:02 AM »
wtg Eskimo glad ya got it sorted out bud !

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2002, 09:07:03 AM »
What are the other 159 reasons?

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2002, 09:42:19 AM »
1 for each jumper I'd guess.  

btw- most guys would have never admited it.  they'd just set the jumpers and say "it's the damndest thing, the peice of crap just started working, I have no idea what was wrong."

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2002, 10:16:57 AM »
Originally posted by capt. apathy
1 for each jumper I'd guess.  

btw- most guys would have never admited it.  they'd just set the jumpers and say "it's the damndest thing, the peice of crap just started working, I have no idea what was wrong."

Yea, but a true tard is too stupid to have pride!

(Actually, I was hoping that someone else might learn from my mistake)

eskimo

Offline OZkansas

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2002, 10:39:50 AM »
Your MOBO wasn't free!  It cost you a min of $45.00 plus all the frustration at no extra charge.  Just because something is given to you doesn't mean that it is free.  Everything has a cost associated with it.  It just might not be monitary!

Lesson to be learned:Be prepared to have an alternative to the "Gift Horse"!!

Same applies to your job, because tommorow you may be fired or laid-off.  So, be prepared with some savings to weather joblessness and network with people that could employ ya!

Just some advice from an old fart to a young pup:D

Take it or leave it, up to you.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2002, 10:12:53 AM »
WTG Eskimo...

As we'd say in the DOS days, when all else fails "RTFM" (Read The F**** Manual)    :)

Wow, motherboards and jumpers.  Remember in the old days when you DIDNT have to continually hunt for updated motherboard bioses and drivers?  I mean, when the trickest thing about a motherboard was trying to squeeze them 30 pin modules in under all those wires?  Oh wait, Im dating myself here....

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2002, 08:47:45 PM »
Heh LePaul...

I remember pulling a few dozen individual chips upgrading an old XT clone from 512k (or something like that) to 1024k ram.  It was a huge pain in the butt even though I only had about 4 pins go slideways instead of snugging into the sockets.

Then I set it up with a 384k ramdisk, copied flightsim to the ramdisk, and went from 2 to 5 fps :)
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.