Author Topic: With all the updating of Graphics...  (Read 383 times)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
With all the updating of Graphics...
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2002, 02:14:19 PM »
I get more viewing area in cockpit at higher resolutions? Or maybe I'm remembering back to the days of bitmap (drawn on, none-3D) cockpits?
-SW

Offline jbroey3

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2002, 02:32:31 PM »
The chat window.. or anything that is "text" in the sense of being a 2d image is reduced size wise.

The 3d Objects are exactly the same size.. and Do not change.
The issue that I am Talking about, Is... FONT size..

As you increase the resoultion the "Viewable" size of the Font is decreased.

Another thing... For all you guys.. that "Simply must" play at nothing less than 1600x1200 ....  :rolleyes:

Doesnt that goto show you that... Your computer is not doing "enough" and should/CAN be Pressed harder to have greater Details/effects/physics.. etc..

I start thinking that wow, when I can run at 1600x1200 with everything on, all the "bells and whistles" and still get 75-80fps,

I can only imagine how much MORE can be put into making it look graphically better/enchanced physics etc with a simple drop of the resolution and still have HIGH frame rates.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2002, 02:35:11 PM »
Quite,..changing the resolution does not alter the size of any image in AH.

It just alters the number of pixels/square inch to render.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline phaetn

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2002, 03:34:16 PM »

30 fps isn't really playable. neither is 1024x768.

This is, quite possibly, the most entirely subjective statement I have ever heard.  And I've been cruising flight sim boards and news-groups for years... professionally!  :D

Over more than a decade I have certainly played flight sims at less than 30fps, and certainly at less than 1024x768.  Sheesh, I've even played them in a monochrome "256 shades of grey" monitor. :)  Hey, once LucasArts' "Battle of Britain" was the leading edge in flightsims...  and damn they were fun.  As lousy as it was from today's perspective, Microprose's F-19 Stealth Fighter (the original one) was damned sweet, too.  It was an immersive, nail-biting game, that had all sorts of diverse elements.

Hey, it's all relative.  You may find less than 30fps bothersome, and less than a 1024x768 resolution an eyesore, but lots of other people don't.  Indeed, I find the fact that my monitor doesn't support a refresh rate above 85Hz in 1200x1024 much more disconcerting than the fact that it's less detailed at 1024x768.

Bear in mind that other people may actually have differing opinions that you do... (heaven forbid!).

Boy, I didn't think I got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning, why the hell did I have to respond to this post?!?

Cheers,
phaetn