Author Topic: Great looking Libya  (Read 849 times)

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
Great looking Libya
« on: October 20, 2002, 06:52:30 AM »
I was yesterday first time on Libya map on CT and I must say to asw and Wotan: absolytely GREAT terrain and skin work! !

asw, can you tell me how you have made your Libya map texture tiles step by step? And if it is top secret information, can you please send your instructions to my e-mail, I never tell anybody!:D

I saw only one little error in Libya map: your clouds are maybe too low level, because couple of clouds clipped with groung textures. I have the same problem in my FinRus map, clouds are very difficult to adjust correct level... You know it's not nice looking when they clip!;)

By the way, do you mean that your VDEPOT shape looks like square under Vehicle hanger? Maybe it is little too light brown?

That's all criticism against your map. As I said, I have been in Tunis near Libya and the landscape looks from airplane almost exatly like in your map: very realistic! And all the other things like hangers and even Rearm pad's little stalt are skinned with great looking camouflages!  :D

Everybody go to CT and look this professional work!

Kanttori
ismo@kesalesket.net

Ps. asw and Wotan: look my new skins in "New images from Finland-Russia map". I want your opinion of my edited skins,  isles and lake-area's coastline textures! ;)
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment

Offline scooby

• Copper Member
Great looking Libya
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2002, 08:54:29 AM »
libya map has skin work???
i dont remember seeing any different skins....:confused:

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Great looking Libya
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2002, 09:57:03 AM »
open your eyes

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
Great looking Libya
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2002, 10:01:54 AM »
Scoopy, fly offline and look outside those planes! LOL:D

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
Great looking Libya
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2002, 11:06:20 AM »
Wow! Thx Kanttorri :).
 The clouds I didn't notice - good call thx. If there is an opportunity to update the map I'll make sure that the cloud bases are raised a thousand feet or so near the coast.
 The VH "box". Dam, I noticed that after the updated map had already been put on the download page. Pure carelessness on my part unfortunately :(. I used one of the terrain tiles on that dirt object to try to camoflage the VH. It looked great at A1 but I didn't bother to check the other ones. Again, if there is an opportunity to update the map I'll have that fixed too .
  I don't think it's fair to HTC to ask them to let us update the map just to fix those two things though. HTC, especially Ronni, has been very, very good to us by spending extra time getting an updated version of the map online for download and I don't want to abuse her or HTC by nickle-and-diming them to death with minor updates.
  I'll see if I can reconstruct the stages for developing the tiles and post them here.

Cheers,
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
Great looking Libya
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2002, 01:05:50 PM »
asw, no panic!:D

They are very little things in your terrain. But also I want to know all mistakes when my map is coming to CT, and i know there is great landscape bugs!:D

Maybe you make list from things to correct to next update, they are not so busy things to do yet!;)

Offline scooby

• Copper Member
Great looking Libya
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2002, 06:58:48 PM »
k no seriously what did you skin? cuz i just checked all the planes and vehicles, and the buildings, and i see no difference.....

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
Great looking Libya
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2002, 07:02:48 PM »
Scooby, sounds to me like you haven't downloaded the updated version from HTC's pages. All the hangars, most of the buildings, the 109E, 109f, C-47, P-40E, the vehicles, the runways, and likely a bunch of other things I'm forgetting to mention have been reskinned.
  If you don't see a new clock in the tower you have the old version.

Cheers,
asw

Offline scooby

• Copper Member
Great looking Libya
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2002, 07:13:26 PM »
ok i've redownloaded and installed so i'll go check it

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
Re: Great looking Libya
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2002, 12:24:53 AM »
Originally posted by kanttori
I was yesterday first time on Libya map on CT and I must say to asw and Wotan: absolytely GREAT terrain and skin work! !
Thx Kanttori :)

asw, can you tell me how you have made your Libya map texture tiles step by step? And if it is top secret information, can you please send your instructions to my e-mail, I never tell anybody!:D

sure - it was a long and winding road though - likely overly complicated and there's probably a simpler way of achieving the same results. Explaining here would take up way to much space. I'll email you the skeleton and post the full method on a web site this week. I'll post the URL in here as soon as it's up and running.

Ps. asw and Wotan: look my new skins in "New images from Finland-Russia map". I want your opinion of my edited skins,  isles and lake-area's coastline textures! ;)

Wow - looks great :)) I really like the brewster buff...ah the F4F .

Cheers,
asw

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
other minor libya bug
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2002, 01:30:30 AM »
dunno if it's just me, but when i'm down on the deck, or in a gv... i see moons veery now an dthen thru the ground... very small in size...

attached pix... upper left corner.  it's only noticeable when you're real low, and there are a lot of them...
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
Great looking Libya
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2002, 09:24:31 AM »
lol the moons are intentional, they have the smallest impact on frame rate for slow machines of all the objects I tried - and I tried all of them that made sense to try. They are out of place but I think the trade-off was worth the result.

Cheers,
asw

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Great looking Libya
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2002, 10:00:32 AM »
Originally posted by detch01
lol the moons are intentional, they have the smallest impact on frame rate for slow machines of all the objects I tried - and I tried all of them that made sense to try. They are out of place but I think the trade-off was worth the result.

Cheers,

when i first noticed them, i was thinking, damn, illusions in the desert.  :D

what were you trying to represent? sheep? (gaaaak... a few are fine in clusters here and there, but not a 1,000 to every other tile) or going for some kind of visual effect to help players gauge things down low?

do they have to be added to make the terrain work? they're only noticeable down low anyway.

i'll take moons over sheep anyday when it comes to FPS impacts.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
Great looking Libya
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2002, 10:06:55 AM »
LOL Shane,
  I haven't found a way to get around adding some ground clutter - if I did there would be none on this terrain at all.  There are some terrains where I don't think ground clutter is necessary, but I don't think you can apply that idea to all terrains. My next map is set in a more temperate climate, so there will be ground clutter - it is necessary there.
If it helps, think of the moons as flattened, desicated mutton..the remains of former sheep :D

Cheers,
asw

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Great looking Libya
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2002, 10:20:51 AM »
so you're saying that there is apparently some minimum requirement of a certain amount of ground clutter per tile? i've no desire, or talent, to putz around with the terrain editor, just wondering if that accounts for what i've always considered the amount of ground clutter seen attributable to a cocker spaniel on meth running around and slobbering sheep everywhere.

wonder if that's configurable by HTC - built into the code. we used to be able to toggle ground clutter on/off but with the advent of new objects, it became requisite to have them always visible so GV's wouldn't run into "nothing" and blow up.

personally i think clutter shoudl remain toggable as they're one of the biggest fps hits down low...  clutter is not really necessary while in a plane, but semi-essential while in a gv, altho the impact on fps seems rouger on planes than gv's.  otoh, i see how by turning clutter off, a defensive GV would see thru "trees" - altho a shell would still have no effect on the gv behind that invisible tree.

perhaps this could be resolved by a different hit sprite for clutter objects.

ah well... just wishful thinking.

in any case, sheep seem to be the worst FPS offenders followed by them hut-thingys and big pizzamap-boulders.  trees and beach barrier thingys aren't too bad.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2002, 10:23:48 AM by Shane »