Author Topic: "Sweet Home Alabama" by Jewel ?  (Read 506 times)

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
"Sweet Home Alabama" by Jewel ?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2002, 03:04:16 PM »
Wouldn't it be neat neat if Jewel was her last name.  Well not Jewel, but Jewels.  And then, say that her parents and siblings were in a band with her.  Then they might be called, "The Family Jewels".

LOL!

*sigh*

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2002, 03:16:38 PM »
I like the lesser popular songs like "That smell, Tuedays gone, Gimme back my bullets, etc. I can't listen to too much though, or I'm in danger of falling off the wagon. Every song reminds me of a bad deed I did 15-20 years ago. ;)

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2002, 03:26:10 PM »
Originally posted by Oedipus
Eek!!  You think this is bad?   None of you must have heard Celine Deions' rendition of "That Smell " !

:eek:

I bet it's just as bad as her rendition of "__________".

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2002, 03:27:37 PM »
When ever I hear that "my heart will go on" song I can't help but think of Grover and Seseme Street.

Near, far.

Near, far.

Wherever you are.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2002, 03:29:16 PM »
Originally posted by capt. apathy
everybody does skynard covers and nobody should.  I cringe when I here a bar band fire up on 3-steps, or God forbid freebird.

In my college days, when we were convinced we were smarter than most of the town's population, we used to go to a bar on the outskirts of town - not quite redneck, not quite heavy metal - and on Live Band nights we'd wait until midnight and then start shouting "Freebird! Freebird!" from the back of the room and continue to do so until the bar closed at 2am.  As the night wore on, we could usually get a very vocal, very drunk mob shouting it too.  Every band that played there knew the song, and usually played it every 45 minutes or so in response to public demand.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2002, 04:35:37 PM »
'Curtis Lowe' is one of their best songs.

A couple of my other fav.'s

Things going on
Poison whisky
Simple man

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2002, 08:23:12 PM »
in strained through the teeth kind of voice
"just..tell..me..it..isn't..true"
no respect around anymore,i mean who's bright idea was that? :(
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2002, 07:27:57 AM »
Simple Man
Tuesday's Gone

Saw them 2nd to last concert b4 the crash freshman year at USF.

pronouned was the best album
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2002, 11:09:28 AM »
It's to long, it sucks, it's to long, it sucks! It's to long, it sucks, it's to long, it sucks! It's to long, it sucks, it's to long, it sucks! It's to long, it sucks, it's to long, it sucks! It's to long, it sucks, it's to long, it sucks! It's to long, it sucks, it's to long, it sucks! It's to long, it sucks, it's to long, it sucks! It's to long, it sucks, it's to long, it sucks! It's to long, it sucks, it's to long, it sucks!

I have a buddy with a short attention span. In high school he used to only tape the fast parts of songs like Freebird and Stairway to Heaven. Arrgh! At least he flies AH ;)

Charon

Simple Man
Tuesday's Gone

Saw them 2nd to last concert b4 the crash freshman year at USF.

pronouned was the best album

Eagler

I saw post-crash "Skynyrd" about a decade ago with Damn Yankees, Firehouse (I believe, it was the 1st act I didn't see) and ... Poision. Yes, Poision. What a crowd. Rednecks and bikers and 13 year-old-girls. WTF were they thinking :) My wife was actually at the concert to see Poision (she's a bit younger than me), but I don't hold it against her.

I smuggled in a pint of whiskey, but had a case of explosive bowels from a bratwurst I ate  in the parking lot just minutes before, and it smashed on the bathroom floor as I was very quickly working to get clear for the blast (JUST made it in time). Had a great time, and left when Poision started to beat the traffic.

I came for Skynyrd and Yankees with a buddy who was a huge Skynyrd fan. He was killed in a car crash shortly thereafter, though there is a rumor that he may have faked his death (along with his father) and be living a life of luxury in S. America - I kid you not. If so, he was a big Air Warrior fan and may be playing here today - Hi Dave!

Charon

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2002, 12:23:19 PM »
"wiskey bottles,  brand new cars,  oak tree you're in my way"

That is the best line ever written in Rock and Roll,  period!  Skynard ruled back in the day b4 the plane crash, too bad I was to young then to know about them :(

Sweet Home Alabama is one of my favorite songs, but weren't they from floriduh?  

Actually Southern man and Sweet home Alabama are 2 of my favorite classic rock songs.  hehe wonder if they really hated each other....

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2002, 12:26:29 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn

I bet it's just as bad as her rendition of "__________".

ROFLOL!!! Thrawn wins!

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2002, 12:32:37 PM »
Off topic...but since we are discussing "covers"...

The last time I was in Toronto I heard a song by a band I had always ignored called "Dred Zepplin"...I ignored it because I hate cover bands, as a general rule.

BUT...these guys are extremely cool.  They reggae up the tunes, but the lead singer is an Elvis impersonator..and sings all the old Led Zepplin tunes in his "Elvis" style.  

Sounds weird...but man...I gotta get a CD of theirs.  The song I heard was "Stairway to Heaven" and it was great.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2002, 12:46:19 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
Off topic...but since we are discussing "covers"...

The last time I was in Toronto I heard a song by a band I had always ignored called "Dred Zepplin"...I ignored it because I hate cover bands, as a general rule.

BUT...these guys are extremely cool.  They reggae up the tunes, but the lead singer is an Elvis impersonator..and sings all the old Led Zepplin tunes in his "Elvis" style.  

Sounds weird...but man...I gotta get a CD of theirs.  The song I heard was "Stairway to Heaven" and it was great.

Those guys are friggin hillarious!  I don't know if they are still around or not, but I used to listen to them on the internet way back in 1997 on broadcast.com.  Their version of "whole lot of love" was my favorite,  to hear Elvis on what sounded like an acid trip was truely funny stuff :D

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2002, 01:50:42 PM »
Originally posted by Udie

Those guys are friggin hillarious!  I don't know if they are still around or not, but I used to listen to them on the internet way back in 1997 on broadcast.com.  Their version of "whole lot of love" was my favorite,  to hear Elvis on what sounded like an acid trip was truely funny stuff :D

I knew there was a reason we get along..crazy stuff like this that we both like:D
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2002, 03:00:54 PM »
Dash Rip Rock play a song called "Stairway to Freebird" at their live shows.

"And she's cli-imbing the Stai-rway to....  FREEBIRD (in redneck accent)"