Author Topic: 1.03 disappointment  (Read 667 times)

Offline Lucchini

• Zinc Member
1.03 disappointment
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2000, 11:08:00 AM »
Thanks for your posts.
I generally attack bombers from High or below (b26) or with a 90 degree angle (B17) always at high speed and sometimes succeed.
But I still belive their gunnery is overmodelled: I've read lots of books of WWII and it seems to me it wasn't so simple for a gunner to kill a ftr. Ftr pilots were afraid to attack large formations of bombers, where hundreds of gunners fired together against a single ftr but not from a single bomber.
So I'm not so sure about it!

Ciao

Lucchini

Offline Arrow

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
1.03 disappointment
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2000, 11:11:00 AM »
Don't forget that not only were buffs scorted for the most part, but they were in larger formations which allowed them to cover eachother, not to mention the fact there was for the most part a full crew aboard the buff.   The Pilot/Gunner deal here only allows you to shoot in one direction making a two fighter attack against one buff a loss for the buff %100 of the time.

So, I for one enjoy that you have some defense in a buff.  

-Arrow

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
1.03 disappointment
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2000, 11:17:00 AM »
I'm sure a good majority of you remember when BUFFS were  introduced into WB's and  the many transitions they made in changes to lethality of otto, vulnerability, etc... well, they're still changing it to this day!

I think HTC has done an outstanding job with the BUFF here, I fly buffs and shoot them down, and IMO, the balance is perfection.  The only thing that sucks is (please lets not go here in this thread) that 1 F4U-1C can take out an entire formation if flown correctly, but as Pyro stated, he did find "something" with the guns of the 1C, so hopefully that will be cured with the 1.03 version.

I couldn't agree with Hang's assessment more! "Buffs are easy kills... or your worst nightmare. It all depends on how you go about attacking them."

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
1.03 disappointment
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2000, 11:45:00 AM »
LOL!! Rip how many times you gonna repost that quote from Pyro on the Hispanos?  

You do realize that potentially he found that they were too weak ! Or something that actually makes them better.   Notice how he is quite cryptic about it?

Gawd I can hear the howls already. LOL!!!

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
1.03 disappointment
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2000, 12:01:00 PM »
Exact quote was "and turned up a few things."..so yes, potentially it could go the other way, but I doubt it. Do you honestly think a 1C would take out 6-7 B17's in 6 or 7 passes in real life?  Not saying this sim it portraiting RL, as HTC says, gameplay is a more important issue, if gameplay is more important, it sheds lite even futher on the 1C subject.

Look, I love th 1C, its a great plane, the guns are awesome, fly it every chance I get, I just think it upsets the 'balance' in  the game, I.E. no one wants to do OPS anymore due to the upset of the balance within the game.  People have  quit AH because of it (not just JG2 either!)  So, we need a 'balancer', either the guns, or be it a historical arena.

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 06-06-2000).]

Offline Gorf

• Copper Member
1.03 disappointment
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2000, 12:01:00 PM »
OKAY boys and girls.

QTS, I am not trying to slam you or make fun of win2k, I like w2k because of its stability for us at work.(we are using NT4.0 and finalizing converstion plans for W2K). I was working for Gateway and was getting the same response like you are giving about no games for W2K as I received about NT4.0.  NT4.x and W2K are NOT a gaming platform. so here are some tidibits for you.

First, Windows 2000...IS NOT..let me repeat IS NOT a gaming platform so don't expect much for it.  Microsoft has stated this.  ALSO, W2K is ungodly resource hog, 256MB ram is recommend.  Pent III400 with 128 crawls.  So dont expect a favorable response from the gaming industry.

Second, Windows ME..or Millinium is the Home/gaming platform that will be coming out Later this year, I believe around XMAS.  Basically WIn98 with some security and stability from W2K and more bugs cleared out of 98. I have been running ME beta for about 2 months now and it is smooth, quirky here and there but I have high hopes.  

Third, QTS< my suggest for you is that if you are a heavy gamer, DUMP W2K, its not a gaming platform.  Wait for ME to come out.  I would love to go into the nittygritty of why but I would be banned from the BBS.

Good Luck QTS...

Gorf

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
1.03 disappointment
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2000, 12:13:00 PM »
>Do you honestly think a 1C would take out 6-
>7 B17's in 6 or 7 passes in real life?

You got a film of that?

I mean real combat, not 6 of your buddies playing drone for you in the TA.

Show me a film of 6-7 buff kills in 6-7 passes.

Or was that roadkill hyperbole?

Regards,
Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
1.03 disappointment
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2000, 12:15:00 PM »
Don't have film but I have witnesses, how many you want? we had 15 up flying squadron that night.  The F4U pilot was on a two-week account at that.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
1.03 disappointment
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2000, 01:28:00 PM »
Nope sorry.  From reading this bbs I don't trust peoples wildly creative memories.  From all the "he killed me at 1.5 with a single ping" claims we never saw an actual combat footage example.

With this crowd, if I don't see a film, it never happened.  

If it did happen, the problem is prolly more with your gunners that with the F4U.  Six buffs firing (that can be like up to 18 .50 cals?) at a single F4U simultaneously and you can't take him out before he gets all six of you?  Or did you get yourselves in a position that you couldn't mutually support each other?  If so, is that the F4U's fault?

I don't mean this personally Rip, your a nice guy.  But it sounds to me like this guy would have taken you out in a brewster buffalo.  

Regards,
Wab

[This message has been edited by AKWabbit (edited 06-06-2000).]
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
1.03 disappointment
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2000, 01:28:00 PM »
Pyro, thanks for the confirmation. May I suggest you publicise it heavily?

Gorf, you've evidently missed that Microsoft's X-Box is to be based around W2K.

W2K has the ability to be an excellent gaming platform. Unreal Tournament is much better on it, ditto Starlancer, ditto Freespace 2. W2k helps in two main areas: stability (resource leaks from IE and Outlook Express no longer matter), and SMP support, which really helps in crowded conditions.

Offline snag

• Zinc Member
1.03 disappointment
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2000, 01:45:00 PM »
Gorf, W2K is the successor of NT 4.0 with D3D support, and as such is a very stable and performant platform for applications - and this includes games.

Yes this may not well suit MS or Gateway marketing schemes regarding their so-called 'gaming platforms', but who cares. Currently the only, but major, problem left in 1.02 AH under W2K is the lack of keyboard support.

Now we know it's corrected in 1.03, thanks HTC for that.

For those who might wonder, W2K runs with perfect stability and performance with 128MB ram.

Regards,
Snag

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
1.03 disappointment
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2000, 01:59:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:

The only thing that sucks is (please lets not go here in this thread)  

B]

Rip, If you really don't want to go there in this thread then.....don't go there yourself.  Not a slam against you Rip, just seems abit odd to ask everyone not to go there, but ok for you to.

Other than that, I agree with Hang's assesment on the buffs.

Cobra

[This message has been edited by Cobra (edited 06-06-2000).]

Offline Gorf

• Copper Member
1.03 disappointment
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2000, 02:44:00 PM »
SNAG and QTS,

Not going to get in a big woopy about this. but
A. I know W2K is successor to NT4.0  Been Beta testing for MS since win 3.x.  MS has stated since the begining of NT up to W2K.  THESE are not Gaming platforms. Never have been Never will(even with XBOX)Brother progams at MS and is working on the ME project, he says dont have your hopes up. Especiially with W2K, requirements are too STEP. Plus a majority of the gaming industry has allready stated W2K will not be a big focus.  They are aimed at the MASS Gaming industy which dont have the Horse power to use W2K or the financial resources to upgrade.

B.  W2k is a VERY Stable platform as was the old NT series, I KNOW I work with it on a daily bassis. So not downing it, the stability would be great for a gaming os BUT, unless u understand the layers of the OS and how it utilises the resouces and hardware, current game programing just wont work.. for the most part.

C. Seen  the XBOX, dorked with it, dont have your hopes up!  

D. W2K does due the Dx thing BUT again, NT(W2K) the way it works and the way current game programing likes to have DIRECT access to hardware.. both NT and W2K wont allow it.  NT style of programing is not that easy.  Supposidly XBOX will take care of this BUTTT got to get the rest of the industry to spend the money to follow. With the break up of MS.. industry not so willing to follow like they used to.

E. Untill game programing COMPLETELY removes any hint of 16bit codeing,(even thought a game says 32bit, there is still 16bit coding, or the 32bit has some of its design off of old 16bit) and untill the vendors for hardware give full support to W2K..  It is not good Gaming platform.

F.  If ya want the game support of 95/98 and the stibility and security of W2K.  Wait for about 2 years, that is when ME and W2K will be merged into 1 OS. I think it is called Whistler NOW if what they say bout it is true(this is MS) it will be kick A$%$

G. OH, for those who are W2K nutts o, here is some facts.  When W2K was first announced, they said that WIN98 was going away and W2K would be the only supported OS.  WELL, once they got into it they realized there was NO way it was going to fly, the requirements were to step, and the mass of gamers were on 95/98.  For W2K to fullfill both Gamers and Business needs, the saw that for people to upgrade to the level required for W2K...  the Mass public is not willing to sheell out the dollars. Plus the gaming industry is not fully behind it.

H. FInally, with the break up MS.  Well lets just say i have few connection in the Apple development area and the have a OS that is(under raps,..nice to have inside connections) designed for the PC world that NUKES and OUTPEFORMS, and can run any DirectX game BETTER then what a MS OS can..  So.. I give Bill Gates and his OS to rule the market for about another oooo 5 years.  Enjoy it while it lasts.

I. OH 1 last point, did I mention that I am MSCE+I with NT 4.x and current beta tester for the new MS certificate program for W2K.

Have a nice DAY.

Gorf
(this should ruffle some MS loyalists feathers.heheh)

Offline snag

• Zinc Member
1.03 disappointment
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2000, 04:15:00 PM »
Gorf, I have only a mild interest for those  A...I reasons, or for IT industry gossip or CHAPELS - the latter is likely to bore/annoy most people in this board I assume. What egoistically are of interest to me, are simple facts :

1. This other simulator I'm using (and all other D3D or OpenGL games I'm still using, bar EAW) runs under W2K.
2. HTC has now corrected their handling of keyboard in AH 1.03, thanks for that.
3. AH 1.02 W2K runs totally stably, with excellent performance, on my PC with 128 MB RAM, I dare say like it never ran under W9x.
4. I've been struggling with various sims for 15 years on quite unsuitable 'gaming platforms' as they're called, and I've now had enough.

So I did set AH on W2K but soon found it cumbersome to map selected actions on my joystick's 8 buttons  

Trying to be constructive, I'll just 1. Thank HTC now that they've MADE their effort, 2. Enjoy AH under W2K when 1.03 comes out, 3. Try and help those interested in making the same move.

For the rest may I add you don't have to assume you're the only qualified IT professional in here ?

Regards,
Snag

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
1.03 disappointment
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2000, 04:37:00 PM »
Okay, this is really a game.

The People who fly buffs all the time aren't doing so mearly to be targets to the folks in the sports jobs.

I do not believe that Buff gunnery requires any adjustment.

I think...

The Ceiling or effectiveness of the bombers needs to be reduced, or the Ceiling of the fighters need to be increased.  I do not know of one fighter that can manuver in AH effectively above 30,000ft.  That is where you find a lot of bombers.  What I propose is that the field be brought a little closer to equal at 30K.  Make it so fighter are able to climb to 33k, make a pass at a buff, and climb to 33k and make a 2nd pass at a buff.  If the buff is at 30k.

It takes a considerable amount of time to climb to 30K, and the last 3000ft is the worst.  If you prosecute a historically accurate pass (High front end pass from high 12 to low 6) you only get to do this once at 30 K.  By the time you turn back the buff is so far away you will never catch it, unless you are willing to burn up all your fuel or your engine.

2. If you fire into a gun position it should be disabled.

I usually like to attack the belly of B-26s, that is their tender spot (No guns) the waist guns can't deflect in far enough.  I try to concentrate my first passs to kill the waist and tail gunner on a B-26.  Yet when I try to make a 2nd pass these guns are still firing?

I put a good 70 or 80 rnds of 20MM from an F4U-1C into a B-26 on my first pass the other night, all in the back part of the plane (a few sprites on the wing) and to be honest I thought my first pass destroyed the plane.  When I turned back there was no smoke, no apperance of damage.  I thought perhaps there was a lag, and he would get late pings.  I started climbing again, and waited a minute for the pings to catch up.  He flew on.  I made my 2nd pass.  Again, I saw many hit sprites.  His tail was still firing (I don't know how, cause I wanted to destroy his tail gun on the first pass, and tried damn hard to do it.)  Again I concentrated on shooting his tail gun.  He got my 1C and I had to bail.  I got an oil leak on 1 of his engines (black smoke trail.)

I watched my hit sprites, I concentrated on the tail gun.  My 2nd pass should have been un-opposed.  I got shot down.

3. Buff Manuverability.

Someone said above, fighters require protection from the buffs.  THIS IS AN ACCURATE STATEMENT.  How many of you have been attacked by B-26s.  The "One a day in Tampa Bay" plane.  The Pregnant Prostitute (No visible means of support.)

This plane was famous for its thin wings and the lack of high speed manuverability.  THere is a thread on the Rec.Aviation.military newsgroup, asking WWII Pilots what was the most dangerous plane to fly.  Many U.S. Pilots are saying the B-26.

Anyone who makes a violent manuver in a B-26 should suffer a manuver kill.  The wings didn't work that way. (Yes it was a fast plane, and they did a lot of work on the wings, but it still had a reputation for not bring crews home.)

They are LEVEL BOMBERS!!

I can see using rudder to unmask more guns, I can't see B-17s diving on CONS!

Sharply turning a Buff should BLEED SPEED! and put it on the edge of Stall!

Make it so Fighters can manuver with the buffs at altitude, disable guns that are killed by concentrated bursts into the area attacked, and reduce the manuverablilty of the bombers.

Leave the GUNS alone.

IT will make things more realistic IMHO, yet still give the buff drivers a chance.

------------------

"Downtown" Lincoln Brown.
    lkbrown1@tir.com    
 http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Wrecking Crews "Drag and Die Guy"
Hals und beinbruch!