Author Topic: After 30 Days.... A dweeb's opinion ((long))  (Read 554 times)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
After 30 Days.... A dweeb's opinion ((long))
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2002, 09:13:00 PM »
Jagd-

Again, no prob here. You told me last night you had a squad with Rooks. You weren't the only one talking on the country channel, so don't think I meant just you. As it happens, you weren't the one that kept going on about it, you were the one that answered.  ;) You know how it is; you're doing everything you can for the cause, but still some fellow has to go off and browbeat everyone on the side. That's when I typically make a suggestion.  ;)

We were in a mess last night, no doubt about it. About the best thing to do under the circumstances is to grab as many lancs as possible and pork every barracks in 4 grids of the front. They may knock your bases down, but they won't capture them.  ;)

Jagdflieger

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2002, 09:24:00 PM »
Kieran,
  Thanks for the reply... didn't even understand the strategic role that the barracks play.  (obviously the answer is no troops)  I don't even know what the barracks look like. <G>

BTW.. how do you survive so well in the Zero?
If they are anything like AW.. you can't catch a cold in one.  Great for getting into a fight and being in a fight.  But you ain't LEAVING a fight. <G>

Also notice you fly the A5 a lot. Got any tips on that plane?  I like German iron but find the trajectory of the German Cannon is really inferior to the .50 MGs or the Hispanos of the allied planes.   Was amazed I was getting hits on a Dora with pony guns at 1k yds.  He was even nice enough to confirm my observations when questioned on channel one.  One of the JV44 boys.

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2002, 11:17:00 PM »
Jagd:

the Barraks are easy to spot, just look for the biulding with all the empty beer bottles and kegs lying araound it. that will be the barraks.   :D

Jagdflieger

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2002, 07:25:00 AM »
Wolf,
  That explains it then.. I thought that was the pub... and at least in AW we had a gentleman's agreement NEVER to bomb a pub! <G>

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2002, 07:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kieran:
About the best thing to do under the circumstances is to grab as many lancs as possible and pork every barracks in 4 grids of the front. They may knock your bases down, but they won't capture them.   ;)

That works about as well as hitting the enemy city and HQ, it takes one goon to resupply the HQ after a HQ strike, same with a field, and there are plenty of pilots that are willing to resupply anything that needs it...so its hardly worth the effort.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2002, 09:55:00 AM »
Uhhh... no... it takes seven goons to rebuild HQ if I read HTC correctly. I'm not sure what it takes for the city.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2002, 10:04:00 AM »
BTW.. how do you survive so well in the Zero?
If they are anything like AW.. you can't catch a cold in one. Great for getting into a fight and being in a fight. But you ain't LEAVING a fight. <G>

You're right, you don't. The Zero is best at base defense, but even then it needs a little alt to play with. I survive in it basically by paying attention to what is going on around me. No one is going to outturn you, and the smart ones won't even try. I evade the BnZ and catch the unwary diving under me or engaged in a furball. You do have to keep your head on a swivel, though.

Also notice you fly the A5 a lot. Got any tips on that plane? I like German iron but find the trajectory of the German Cannon is really inferior to the .50 MGs or the Hispanos of the allied planes. Was amazed I was getting hits on a Dora with pony guns at 1k yds. He was even nice enough to confirm my observations when questioned on channel one. One of the JV44 boys.

You are not wrong about the German guns, you need to be close. I can hit hard at 450 or so, but my convergence is set at 300. I don't do anything special in the A5; I just keep it fast and don't try to turn beyond a 1/4 turn with the turnfighters, and I go vertical with planes like the 51. The WEP is good, the acceleration is very good, and you can scissors like no other plane. As long as you keep an eye on the Spits and La-7's you won't have a hard time at all- just don't let yourself get caught low-and-slow in furballs. I can run from any Spit, and La-7's seem easy to spoof in scissors.

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2002, 10:20:00 AM »
When a countries strategic city is killed it is down for 3 hours. Each goon supply drop on the damaged strategic city reduces the down time by 27 minutes. So you would need about 7 goon resupplies to bring a strategic city back up to snuff.

Town buildings at specific airfields take 45 minutes to rebuild. And supposedly they can not be resupplied.

So I agree if you are outnumbered and simply can't break on either front on a two front war (like the Rooks last night .. were able to hold both fronts but not gain any territory while I was on) then bomber strikes against multiple enemy strat targets can help take the pressure off of one front. By either wrecking enemy resources and increasing their down time when your jabo and tactical bombers do get through and hit airfield targets or by causing the enemy forces to divert resources to rebuilding a bunch of strat facilities.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2002, 10:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kieran:
Uhhh... no... it takes seven goons to rebuild HQ if I read HTC correctly. I'm not sure what it takes for the city.

No it doesn't. It says that, but it takes one.  I sat in a chute after we dropped the HQ a few weeks back (See the Gameplay forum post about HQ) and one goon dropped, it rebuilt...repeated same scenario 2 weeks ago, and the first C47 pilot that dropped confirmed it.

Pimpjoe posted: "it rebuilt with one though apache...i was one of them goons"
 http://www.hitechcreations.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=001944

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Ripsnort ]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2002, 10:37:00 AM »
Incidently, towns can be rebuilt, with 7 goons. Fields take 1 goon, towns take 7, HQ takes 1 (but says 7 in readme)