Author Topic: everything I've ever read about the Fw190...  (Read 591 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
everything I've ever read about the Fw190...
« on: July 18, 2000, 02:44:00 AM »
seems to be portrayed in the aces high 190a5.

mostly the stories of the vertical performance of the 190 ring in my ears when i fly it in AH. we all know how inaccurate pilot accounts are of airplanes   but darned if it dont seem to fly like they said it did.

dont need to trim it, rolls second to none etc etc etc.

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2000, 04:30:00 AM »
I gave the A-5 some airtime last night, for the first time actually.  It does roll and zoom very well, but it feels very stall prone.  As soon as you pull on the stick you hear the stall coming.  In other words, it needs a steady hand and careful flying.  Strictly for BnZ/E-fighting.

The cannons seem to need a lot more leading than the ones on my G-2.  I couldn't hit a damn thing... Might be a convergence setting thing too.    

But all in all, this little test I did confirms my feeling that the A-5 is the most dangerous plane in AH at the moment.  I have to give it some more time, seems like the A-5 might become my #2 ride...  

Camo
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2000, 05:02:00 AM »
Agreed, Fw 190A-5 is very fun plane to fly, and also very dangerous. It might not be best in all aspects, but is rather jack of all trades.

Its arena record matches its real life reputation. Without icons my guess is that it would be even more effective.

Now, considering pilots' opinions on the Dora, can you imagine how that little beauty would do here ?

vadr

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2000, 08:56:00 AM »

It does roll and zoom very well, but it feels very stall prone

Spot on. A very unstable aircraft in the lateral plane, the 190 was renowned for it's rate of roll and it's control harmonization. However, a very high wing-loading gave the aircraft some truly nasty stall characteristics and poor turn performance.

It's odd, but while 190 pilots in every flightsim I've ever played use the 190 as a BnZ aircraft, the actual Luftwaffe used it as a pure dogfighter. When it was first introduced in numbers in early 1942, 190 equipped Jagdflieger simply jumped on Spitfire V's and ate them up. It was Al Deere (I believe) who made the comment that he had never seen the Germans 'stay and fight it out' like a group of 190 pilots who jumped his squadron during a Circus mission.

The LW used BnZ tactics with the 109, and stuck to classic vertical ACM in the early-model 190. The aforementioned stalling characteristics did discourage the use of hard manuvers close to the ground.

------------------
Vadr
Kommandeur, III/JG 2 'Richthofen'
S3 Parser
Combat Flightsim Business Forum      

"Well? Ya gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie?"

Offline brendo

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2000, 04:30:00 PM »
The FlugWerk test piot guy said that their 190a8's are brilliantly manouverable and very easily flown, except for the difficult stall.

WWII online may have a 190 that you can throw around the sky.

I personally believe that both WB/AH have sloppy 190 models. Both Franz Stigler and Gabby Gab. told me they were great manouverable aircraft. Their ownly problem was they had NO stall buffeting... they just stalled instantly at high speed.

So all this WB/AH 'fight the stall warning' business is incorrect. You should be able to work the 190 hard in ACM aspects and if you DONT stall then you are ok.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2000, 04:43:00 PM »
I dissagree about the A5 being strictly for BnZ/E fighting. Everytime a feild is being vultched, i grab the a5 with 50% feul and 2 20mm cannon. At times i feel sorry for the vulchers at the rate that thing can kill em. This is all on the deck, knife-fighting. Its acelleration is what saves the day, and it turns pretty well too.
In fact when i go BnZ'n i grab my trusty pony (now thats a pure BnZ plane) i would hardly ever entertain the idea of taking a 190 A5 on a long haul BnZ journey.

------------------
Overlord Spatula

if you adhere to all the rules you miss out on all the fun

=357th Pony Express=

[This message has been edited by Spatula (edited 07-18-2000).]
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2000, 04:48:00 PM »
Hey vadr, i have a book that stayed that "this time LW stayed and fought" and it ended with 7 kills for spits and no losses as far as i can remember  

Cuts both ways...  

Now seriously - do you really believe it should turn with spit 5 ?  

------------------
Bartlomiej Rajewski
aka. Wing Commander fd-ski
Northolt Wing
1st Polish Fighter Wing
303 (Polish) Squadron "Kosciuszko" RAF
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
315 (Polish) Squadron "City of Deblin" RAF

Turning 109s and 190s into scrap metal since 1998

Northolt Wing Headquarters

funked

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2000, 05:09:00 PM »
Brendo, Kurt Tank (who admittedly had a lot of 190 stick time) said that after some experience it was easy to anticipate an accelerated stall through changes in stick forces.  Since the 190 had very light stick forces, it makes sense that it might take pilots a while to develop this sensitivity, just like in the P-39.

But I agree that the key to success of the 190 against early mark Spits was not riding the stall horn.  The keys were vertical maneuverability and high speed maneuverability.

vadr

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2000, 05:31:00 PM »

Now seriously - do you really believe it should turn with spit 5

Of course not, I just think it can dogfight with one. Big difference, if you aren't a Spit Driver  .

We can recount stories from both sides ad nauseum. I can tell you of one instance late in the war where a bunch of P38J drivers whupped JG6's assets in 190s.

The instance I refer to above occured on June 2nd 1942. 403 Canadian Squadron, commanded by BoB veteran Alan Deere, was bounced by I and II JG26 under command of Muncheberg and Seifert. Of the original 12 Spitfires, 8 were lost (including one that crash landed at Manston). Deere's exact statement after the battle was:

Never had I seen the Huns stay and fight it out as these Focke-Wulf pilots were doing.

------------------
Vadr
Kommandeur, III/JG 2 'Richthofen'
S3 Parser
Combat Flightsim Business Forum      

"Well? Ya gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2000, 05:45:00 PM »

Originally posted by vadr:

Of course not, I just think it can dogfight with one. Big difference, if you aren't a Spit Driver .

This is SOOOOOOO true.  I would never contemplate turnfighting a zeke or an n1k or a spit for that matter. But I dogfight with them 1v1 2v1 3v1 as often as I can in my 190a5 or 190a8. They are both unstable planes, hence both very good MANUVERING planes. Why does a manuver have to be a horizontal turn?  Why can't I nose down to keep my speed up and stay at corner velocity?  I bet a 190 at corner speed will turn faster than a spit fire going over or under his corner speed.

Of course then there is also the vertical and the roll  

Udie

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2000, 06:54:00 PM »

Originally posted by Citabria:

dont need to trim it, rolls second to none etc etc etc.

Well, not exactly     Fw190A8 and A5 both need very few rudder trim, even more if you compare them with a 109G , a Yak9 or (of course    ) a typhoon.

But needs some left aileron trim in the dives (as the plane tends to roll to the right as it accelerates) and quite a lot of elevator down trim,too (because the nose wants to go up).

Of course that only happens in fast speed changes (I.E. power dives) and it is easy to overcome    

I have noted a better handling in A8,too...Fw190 now its a dream to fly    

Pyro...I love you    

(but I'll love you MORE if you bring a D9)

(of course that can convince you on NOT to bring D9)

(Pyro, I dont love you any longer        )

in the roll matter...beware, F4U rolls very fast too (VERY fast), and at high speeds, P38 can roll with a 190...

But apart of that, yes, it rolls VERY fast  

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 07-18-2000).]

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2000, 06:59:00 PM »

Originally posted by brendo:
I personally believe that both WB/AH have sloppy 190 models. Both Franz Stigler and Gabby Gab. told me they were great manouverable aircraft. Their ownly problem was they had NO stall buffeting... they just stalled instantly at high speed.

I simply think that until 2 versions ago we had the Sturm 190A8 here, and then it was changed to a more standard (and lighter) A8.

It is ONLY an impression I have, I have flown A8 since I joined JG2 and I remember its handling quite worse that it is right now.

Of course it also can be that I was a pathetic dweeb then and only a dweeb now  

But its a feeling I have, that in 1.02 190A8 was more nimble than before.

Offline [Sg]ShotGun

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2000, 07:55:00 PM »

well in an 'on the deck' luffberry circle with an A5, my pony could not gain on him, and whn i nu i was losing i extended away, but got ran down by the A5...so the A5 is better in the turn and speed than the pony???

i nu it was an A5, cuz as i was out at d1.1, i cood here his 7.7s hitting me, and the sound of the 7.7s is different than the 13mms

funked

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2000, 07:56:00 PM »
A-5 is not faster than the P-51, not by a longshot.  From my own tests and the HTC charts, the Runstang is 30 to 40 mph faster at all altitudes.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 07-18-2000).]

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2000, 08:23:00 PM »

Originally posted by [Sg]ShotGun:
so the A5 is better in the turn and speed than the pony???

No, nothing of both them, but remember that if you flat turn and he yoyoes he will win angles on you, and remember also that he might be near his corner speed while you aren't near yours...so it may seem a A5 outturns a P51, but that is not true.

About the speed...P51 topspeed on the deck is 40mph faster than A5's...but A5's acceleration is very good. Until the P51 doesnt reach 340mph it wont start to win the race. Before that Fw's better acceleration can give the pony a serious disgust (as did with you   )