Author Topic: Pizza Size Best Size  (Read 644 times)

Offline anton

• Nickel Member
      • http://n/a
Pizza Size Best Size
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2002, 02:01:14 AM »
Voss -
 Your either to ignorant or too arrogant to admit that the ONLY reason Ndisle was reset that fast is because knits & rooks were not fighting each other. The knit rook front was COMPLETELY inactive the first hour of that map, wich by that time many bish lost interest & logged. If knits & rooks did that everyday it would be bish that had low numbers instead of rooks. I am sure however that if you refuse to realize this fact at this point, my post will not change anything. So please resume the spewing of non-logic.
Anton

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
Pizza Size Best Size
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2002, 02:17:05 AM »
Originally posted by Voss
NDIsles was reset in under 3hours (closer to 2) during a peak weekend period. Under those conditions it is too small and therefore outdated.

Bah you're wrong here.
It works like clockwork.

Whenever the bishops get a win or two in a row, or a particularly embarrassing win, the rooks and knights band together, and reset us in a couple hours, untill we get our crap together and do it all over again.

Like clockwork.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Pizza Size Best Size
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2002, 08:30:34 AM »
I don't think that the pizza map gives choice to everyone.  I think it severly limits early war plane use and.... it destroys large fights between fields.

In the pizza map you are much better off joining a gangbang/milkrun than trying to find a large fight between fields where early planes do well.   defense is ok with early war planes but I have found that I either have to go to the bad guys field or try to defend from a mob of high, late war, B&Zers.   If I go to them... it is best to have a fast plane to get home in.

If you fly late war fast planes then the pizza map is your speed. the fights are spread out (if you avoid the gangbangs and milkrunners).   I don't like the late war planes that much and I don't like small fights and I don't like long periods of inactivity.   so for me... the pizz map is the worst.
lazs

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Pizza Size Best Size
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2002, 09:06:55 AM »
Don't know about the size, but it sure is hard to look at.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
Pizza Size Best Size
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2002, 09:20:26 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
the pizz map is the worst.
lazs

Finally something I can agree with Lazs on

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
Pizza Size Best Size
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2002, 02:28:23 PM »
Sorry, Anton. I don't believe that it should be possible for any map to be reset in a few hours, whether two teams cooperate or not.

You can take that ignorance/arrogance ramark and shove it up your MAW! :D

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Pizza Size Best Size
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2002, 02:34:19 PM »
Lazs I will reply to your paragraph above with this line:

"Funny, I find that situation on any and every map."

When you find a map that isn't largely dominated by late war monsters, I would really like to know... as it is, that's all anyone flies on any map.
-SW

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Pizza Size Best Size
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2002, 02:36:33 PM »
"If you fly late war fast planes then the pizza map is your speed"

Take a look at what I fly Lazs--I don't like AKDESERT at all  :)

J_A_B

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Pizza Size Best Size
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2002, 02:47:34 PM »
I believe that people don't fly the late war monsters where there is a good fur between fields or off the CV's.    If they do... they are pretty much ignored until things thin out.   The pizza map is so barren of good fights that it makes the late war monmsters more effective and the early war planes less so.   I don't really think that can be disputed.
lazs

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Pizza Size Best Size
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2002, 03:06:44 PM »
It's a bandwidth issue.  If there are N planes closely confined, then N*(N-1) position updates have to be transmitted over the net EVERY SINGLE CLOCK TICK.

Obviously, if HTC doesn't want their network saturated with position updates, they have to limit the number of planes that can see each other.  When I say "see each other," I don't mean see icons, I mean see a dot.

If you get the airplane density high enough, they'll have to crank the viewing radius down to some ridiculously small number (400 yards?).
Doesn't that sound like fun? :)  -- You don't see someone until he's 400 yards away from you.

I think a large fraction of the AH population would furball continuously given the opportunity.  A large fraction of 200 players is probably manageable.  A large fraction of 500 players creates problems and I suspect (don't know for sure) that we have them to thank for HTC network saturation.

I think HTC should give each of the furballing crowd a bar of soap and a dark room and let them entertain each other. :D

I'm not saying furballing isn't valid entertainment, it's just that I don't see how current network technology can support the current numbers (and more OTW) in Aces High without encountering problems  -- especially if we continue with small maps.

It will be fun to watch HTC solve this problem.  It's a social engineering problem really (given current network technology) and it will be interesting to wach the solution unfold.

HTC, if you're reading this, don't forget the bar of soap and water for Lazs. :D

curly

Offline poopster

• Silver Member
Pizza Size Best Size
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2002, 03:11:51 PM »
Originally posted by AKS\/\/ulfe
When you find a map that isn't largely dominated by late war monsters..

Wulfe the map may be dominated by late war monsters, but the trick is to find pockets where there are none.

CV/base battles on the smaller maps are for the most part devoid of the monsters. Lots of blue.

Interesting in the fact that the majority of combatents from the base are blue also. A pocket of midwar planes. The 51's are there, but there out of their element, and are pretty much fodder. Or suiciding the base :D

Those pockets of midwar fights are nonexistant in the desert map.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Pizza Size Best Size
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2002, 03:24:49 PM »
The elevations of the many of the fields in the pizza map make early war planes less viable than they are on other maps.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Pizza Size Best Size
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2002, 03:43:59 PM »
Yup 512x512 is the WTG...but that damned pizza map is an abomination.  I dislike it rather intently.

Too bad the world of AH 512x512 maps had to ride in on that dog.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Arfann

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Pizza Size Best Size
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2002, 04:09:21 PM »
Originally posted by Gman

I always wondered what the "G" in "Gman" stood for. Now I know.

Offline Scary

• Zinc Member
Pizza Size Best Size
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2002, 04:20:08 PM »
Well the pizza map terrain may be boring and ugly but at least there seems to be more lag.