Author Topic: the kate  (Read 671 times)

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
the kate
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2002, 12:47:57 PM »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
the kate
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2002, 02:03:28 PM »
Originally posted by banana
There is certainly not a "pro-US" bias on the CM team. You'll notice that the Japanese level bomber produced by HTC was the Ki-67 Peggy, not the slow, vulnerable G4M Betty. We lobbied Pyro to give us a good, late war Japanese bomber that would be more survivable than the Betty.

Actually, that is one of the few cases in which I feel the Allied forces are getting unfairly shafted.  The P-40E and F4F-4 simply cannot deal with the Ki.67.  It is too fast and too well gunned.  I feel guilty using it in early war setups.

We need the G4M2 for early war setups so the Allies can actually have a chance of intercepting it.

The same is true of the Boston Mk III.  It is simply too fast.  Bf109E-4s, Bf110C-4s and A6M2s simply cannot intercept it.

We need the B-25B so that the Axis can intercept the Allied bomber.

Further, we need an engine model that prevents aircraft from simply being run at full throttle all the time.  There is a reason Ju-88s were only flying at 200mph in the Battle of Britain.  There are reasons that B-17Gs cruised at 180mph.  In AH bombers always simply firewall the throttle and leave it there.  If the relationship between fighters and bombers in AH is ever going to resemble the relationship between fighters and bombers in WWII the engine management will need to be fixed.

Hell, maybe just fixing the engine management would be enough and the Boston Mk III and Ki.67 would then be interceptable by early war fighters.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
the kate
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2002, 04:10:41 PM »
OK I am spet, personaly I think we have betten this one to death, the following apear to be universaly true:

We have a good Early War Japanese CV plane set.

We have a ton of Early War Alied Equipment.

We do not have Ideal plane match ups time frame wise for Pac set up's.

We are advancing toward that howeaver.

We have not sean all that is coming for the next patch.

We all want more Japanese planes.

The Peggy was a great Choice for a Japanese Bomber.

We all nead to take pause and consider this, obviously we are all pashionate about this hobby and we all are indead lucky to even be in a position to debate the valadity of the adation of the Kate at this time to the existing plane set.

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
the kate
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2002, 04:42:35 PM »
Pearl Harbour? B5N definitely has a place there and many other places...

So in a Pearl Harbor scenario, we'd have 114 A6M2s, 117 D3As, and 117 B5Ns against, what, five P-40s and gunners for every position available on the ships in the harbor? Not going to be particularly interesting for most of the US side, I think. You'd need to set up conditions so that the outlying fields would have to be suppressed (since the Zekes don't have the bombload, field durability would have to be cranked way down to give them a chance to close the fields), or the planes would be able to launch.

I don't know if the host would be able to handle making planes 'launch' in rows around the airfields, so that the US side would have planes spotted in a historical manner so they could be strafed historically (and X minutes after the first attack, the planes could take off, if any remain flyable -- perhaps some random allocation, to represent the different amount of time it took pilots to get to the planes, so you'd have planes rolling out of the lineups in ones and twos as the Zekes dropped in on them).

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
the kate
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2002, 07:21:27 PM »
Here is how we did it in Air Warrior.

It was a VERY Successfull Scenario.

http://www.newport-packaging.com/pearl/

In fact we ran in 1999 AND 2000.

Jordi ( 1999 and 2000 Winning CO )
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
the kate
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2002, 07:57:46 AM »
You know guys, if HTC would just model the H8K2 Emily for us, most of our problems would be solved, agreed? :D

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
the kate
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2002, 08:00:50 AM »
the pby-5 black cat would be much more fun.

:)
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline AtmkRstr

• Nickel Member
the kate
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2002, 10:28:51 AM »
I'm not an expert on the Pacific theater, but ponder these two ideas:

Perhaps the reason HTC put the early Japanese planes in AH first folloewed by late planes, the early planes would get used more in the MA (where all planes get most of their use).

Perhaps another reason is because the IJN fighters outperform the USN fighters of similar year. By making the USN bombers better, they might be trying to balance the two teams. Although this is less historical, it might improve gameplay.