Author Topic: which is more important to you....  (Read 196 times)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
which is more important to you....
« on: October 29, 2002, 06:10:25 PM »
Higher top speed or higher acceleration? And which plane has the best "mix" for you?

To me acceleration is more important.  It has gotten me out of countless situations and can be used as a very useful tool in both the vertical and horizontal.  The best plane for this is of course the 190a8.  Down low it can out run most of the planes in the MA easily.  It also out accelerates most, so a quick sissor or two w/ a barrel roll then flat out wide open with WEP and the bad guy is out of guns range :)

what do you guys think?

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2002, 06:14:37 PM »
The fact that people are going to die.   :(   *sniff*

:D

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2002, 06:18:47 PM »
Speed.  Acceleration is mostly a defensive trait.  If you don't let yourself get in trouble, you don't need to accelerate.  :)

The Jug and Stang have good speed and good high speed handling, but not so good acceleration.  IMHO they are the best all-around rides, if Jabo is important to you.

ra
« Last Edit: October 29, 2002, 06:21:26 PM by ra »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2002, 06:20:00 PM »
Why quibble about it, just take the La-7.  Its the best in both categories.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
Re: which is more important to you....
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2002, 06:20:22 PM »
Originally posted by Udie

what do you guys think?

Having gotten over my 'need for speed La7 days' I'd say that flying w/o the option of running away easily has improved not only my SA, KT and ACM skills but my fun factor as well.

YMMV naturaly;)

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2002, 06:22:01 PM »
A mix of both is nice. It's very useful to roll out of a chap on your six, but it's very nice to be able to turn a bit with your overshot nme,

Probably why I like the La5 so much.

A8? It outAccelerates anything :confused: Didn't know that, even though I've had good results in it for the most part.

Gatso

Offline cajun

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2002, 06:23:22 PM »
Actuelly, I prefer manuverability, and acceleration (but manuverability a little above).
May not be the absolute best, but I find flyin a val allot more fun than a spit or la7 :D

But I do like F4u-1 (its about the only BnZ'r I like).

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2002, 07:13:30 PM »
perk the 190 A8

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
Re: which is more important to you....
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2002, 03:18:59 AM »
Originally posted by Udie
The best plane for this is of course the 190a8.  Down low it can out run most of the planes in the MA easily.

Ur sure Udie? Didnt knew this.

Offline devious

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301-wildesau.de
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2002, 05:36:38 AM »
It might work for Udie... personally, if I can't kill the nme immediately after the scissors, I'm shrecked, even more so in the A8. The Dora seems to accelerate much better on it's monster WEP.

For a good speed/acceleration mix I'd recommend the 109G10.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Re: Re: which is more important to you....
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2002, 07:37:55 AM »
Originally posted by Duedel

Ur sure Udie? Didnt knew this.

oh yeah.  Under 10k just a little nose down with WEP and you're at 300 indicated before you know it. Was watching the spedometer last night jus to make sure I know what the heck I was talking about hehe. The 109g10 has AWESOME accelteration, but at high speeds it gets all stiff and tough to roll.  Naturally there are some birds that do this better than the a8, but she's the one I can get moving fast if need be.  Maybe it's the extra weight of those 2 extra 20mm cannon?

If i get bounced and im at high alt and it's by a plane with faster accelteration I'll use this to my advantage too.  I'll enter a vertical dive and chop the throttle.  Then I'll start a wide barrel roll and usually watch the guy pass, but by this time my speed is up enough that I'm in my guns range for a few seconds :D

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2002, 07:42:52 AM »
Originally posted by devious
It might work for Udie... personally, if I can't kill the nme immediately after the scissors, I'm shrecked, even more so in the A8. The Dora seems to accelerate much better on it's monster WEP.

For a good speed/acceleration mix I'd recommend the 109G10.

don't use high G sissors.  Fuax sissors so to speak.  Make the other guy(s) think you're about to force an overshoot.  They will either break high or pull G's or chop throttle.  That' when you're trying to time getting your plane unloaded and accelerating again.  Before they realise what's going on you've gained 100 or 200 yrds on them.  That could be the diference from riding the silk or landing the kills.  Doesn't always work though.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2002, 07:49:23 AM »
getting an area in the arena for early war only planes only so that they won't be forced to fight fast, quick planes is more important to me..
lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2002, 11:10:02 AM »
I prefer speed. But the plane has to be controllable at that speed. The 109G2 supposedly accelerates well. Trouble is, it accelerates very quickly to a speed at which you can't control it.