Author Topic: WEP..Defensive or Offensive  (Read 304 times)

Offline Goth

• Nickel Member
WEP..Defensive or Offensive
« on: October 30, 2002, 06:58:05 AM »
Just throwing this out here. How many of you use WEP strictly for defensive purposes and how many just turn it on at that begining of a fight?

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2002, 07:30:52 AM »
Basicly in a fight WEP is on, unless I've chopped throttle for some reason.  I only chop throttle durring my initial dive from 20k down for my initial kill.  Once I get in the mix though it's on until it runs out.

Unless I'm in a g10 then I save it for escapes because the g10 don't need it :)

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2002, 08:05:20 AM »
I use it sparingly, and more often than not I save it to extend... but look at my stats and you will see that happens rarely.  I guess, I move my throttle too much to have it on all the time, but it is both offensive and defensive for me, just depends on what is needed and if I need a bit more umph at a particular juncture.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2002, 10:23:31 AM »
both.. but obviously I need something more....

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2002, 11:05:48 AM »
Yeah, I suck too.
But think of WEP like guns.  If you don't need it, turn it off.
If I've got an energy advantage on a bandit, and don't need to add to it, I shut off WEP.
Extending -- well, if you've got WEP left and you want to extend, use it.  If they're not chasing you, turn it off.
Simple.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2002, 11:50:48 AM »
hehe. Udie.. the G10.
use it or lose it :)

that's what I like about the G10.. seemingly limitless WEP

Offline Scary

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2002, 04:14:44 PM »
Fight checklist = Wep on... close eyes... pull trigger. I usually open my eyes to land.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2002, 04:32:35 PM »
Originally posted by Wlfgng
hehe. Udie.. the G10.
use it or lose it :)

that's what I like about the G10.. seemingly limitless WEP

hehe and you don't even have to use it!  It will get you to stiff controls about 3 seconds faster than 100% throttle :)
Only time I really use it in the G10 is when I'm at the top of a rop-a-dope and I need that little bit of extra hanging power...

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
Re: WEP..Defensive or Offensive
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2002, 06:24:04 PM »
Goth, flying D9, I want to keep inside a very limited range of speeds, faster and it is a stone, slower and it is a stone again, so it depends on the actual speed, and, of course, the perceived E state of the nearby enemies.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2002, 06:40:27 PM »
Depends on WEP available (5 min on Merlins vs 9+ minutes on LW birds).  I never cruise on WEP, I sometimes use it to accelerate to cruise speeds or climb to cruise alt, and I never use it for more than 2 minutes without letting it cool when not in combat.  Once in combat, it comes on until I disengage of get low on fuel.

-Soda
The Assassins.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2002, 01:22:36 AM »
I usually climb with it and then shut it off. After that, I only use it to extend.
sand

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2002, 05:37:18 AM »
I fly the P-47 a lot. It's a big heavy bird with poor acceleration. No, I'm not very good but I use it to climb out in a b&z situation or when I just need to keep the truck up off the ground :). The D-11 will turn fight with a very few planes and judicious (sp?) use of wep and flaps have helped me gain the advantage or at least not loose too much of it on occasion. Often I will just leave it on during the fight but when given the oportunity I will turn it off then back on as needed so it does'nt overheat too badly.
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Gremlin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.webtreatz.com/tod/lognew.html
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2002, 07:34:55 AM »
For me its usually only on when I need that little bit of extra performance,  being a runstang dweeb thats usually on the way out with half a dozen bandits in tow.  During the fight I only use it to keep as close to corner velocity as possible, or in a hard 1v1 turnfight.  Otherwise its off cause I wanna know that when I need it it will be there.  So often I'd be chasing some guy who's slowly going away from me, then suddenly I'm catching him.  I just know hes run outta wep.  I try to make sure I don't end up the same way.

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2002, 07:38:15 AM »
I use it only when I'm chasing some dweeb named Goth who's screaming "mommy mommy the big bad bat is gonnnnna geeet meeeee!" muhahahahahahaha

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Goth

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2002, 03:02:56 PM »
Originally posted by batdog
I use it only when I'm chasing some dweeb named Goth who's screaming "mommy mommy the big bad bat is gonnnnna geeet meeeee!" muhahahahahahaha

xBAT

And that's what?....once, maybe twice a year? I only worry when your xxxxx itch!