Author Topic: quick and pretty midway  (Read 483 times)

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
quick and pretty midway
« on: November 03, 2002, 02:39:32 AM »
mmm SBD's ...    and yes tho's eggs hit the target hehe

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
quick and pretty midway
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2002, 09:32:46 AM »
Sank their carrier, last survivor of the group.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
quick and pretty midway
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2002, 09:34:12 AM »
but will not make it home.
Dat jugs bro.

------------------------

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
quick and pretty midway
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2002, 09:35:06 AM »
Mom will have a postcard to rememebr her son.
Dat jugs bro.

------------------------

Offline Puke

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
quick and pretty midway
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2002, 11:02:25 AM »
I was relegated the scout role the first part so didn't get to fly in any large formation.  I forgot to film my dive onto the enemy CV though so no shots of that action.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
quick and pretty midway
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2002, 07:21:53 AM »
damn, very nice pics puke, frency and manedew! gj!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2002, 12:08:55 PM by frank3 »

Offline JaniKu

• Copper Member
quick and pretty midway
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2002, 07:59:39 AM »
Originally posted by frank3
damn, very nice pics puke! gj!

Yeah... Can't say much more. WTG

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
quick and pretty midway
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2002, 02:43:16 PM »
Originally posted by SFRT - Frenchy
but will not make it home.

Frenchy, remember this: With less than 50% fuel, the SBD can out-turn the A6M2 in a right-hand turn. That Zero has torque issues that prevent it from matching the SBD's turn rate to the right. But, turn to the left and it will get ya.

Get the Zeke into a right-hand Lufberry, if he tries to stay with you, either you or your gunner will get a chance to pop him. If the Zeke driver is really sharp, he'll break into a counter circle and try for the high angle deflection shot. So, if he breaks out of the Lufberry, unload and extend while your gunner sends him a parting gift. As he reverses, push the nose down and gain some separation. Once out to 2.5 k or more, reverse and go for the HO. You will find that you can score hits well beyond the effective range of his 20mm. You chances are better than 50-50 of winning the HO. Don't forget to have your gunner rake the Zeke as it goes by.

I've had some success using the above against the A6M2.

Other suggestions:

1) Don't use flaps to tighten your turn. Yes, it does tighten your turning circle, but it seriously reduces your rate of turn. What that means is that your aspect changes very little, making it easy for the Zero to pull lead. Keep your speed near corner (about 220 mph) whenever possible.

Another reason for not using flaps to aid in turning is that those big barn doors kill airspeed dramatically. Since acceleration is very poor, you limit your ability to gain separation. Even if you push the nose down, your initial speed is very low, limiting the velocity change (speed increase) gained.

2) Generally speaking, forcing an overshoot is not difficult with the SBD. However, the most startling method involves popping the dive flaps, killing (or throttling back) the engine and pulling suddenly into a corkscrewing climb. Even a seagull cannot cope with this maneuver if timed correctly. In most cases, you will get a decent shot at anyone who tries to follow you. Not recommended if you are being teamed or ganged. However, one on one, it is very effective. Just don’t miss your opportunity when it presents itself.

3) Always fly in F3 mode, right up until you saddle-up on an enemy. Then, jump into the cockpit for the shot. Practice doing your bomb runs in F3 mode too. Once you get the hang of it, you will find this method delivers great accuracy.

4) The SBD will fly more than 5 full sectors on 50% fuel. Always take the minimum for the distances involved. With 25% or less, it is one of the best turners in the game.

5) Flaps and dive flaps can be used at any speed the aircraft can get to, right up to 520 mph, which is the fastest I’ve ever managed to attain.

6) Never pull suddenly on the stick at speeds above 325 mph. The G “bug” will send you straight to the tower.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: November 05, 2002, 03:49:19 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.